I want to do something in TAFE but I feel I have to do uni (1 Viewer)

PukeyFromSweden

HSC
N/A
my hsc is in 2014 and from estimates and such if I keep up how I am going I will probably get an atar between 80 - 90, probably upper 80s.

problem is, I don't know what I want to study in uni when I go. I am thinking of a few courses but not feeling enough passion. the only thing I want to do is in TAFE, which is courses on web site design, development / programming courses. I know there are some computer courses in Uni but I feel they don't focus enough on specifically what I want to learn (web development/programming). maybe like 20% is focused on that.

to be honest I want to do both tafe and uni. I was thinking maybe nursing in uni and web site stuff in tafe. but I am afraid even if I plan to do one after the other.. it won't work.. plus maths and computer stuff isn't my strength, but I definitely have some motivation towards it as I have done some web site design and although it's different from programming, I enjoy it because of what I can create with code.. I have watched people program and seen what can be created, it fascinates me, I want to write my own programs .. what do you think?

Elisa Sweet

HSC
If you wanna do TAFE, do it. Don't spend money on doing something your not interested in.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I know someone who got 96 and ended up doing a college course.

You don't need to use all your "atar points", just do something you're interested in. If uni doesn't meet your needs, don't do it. Less hecs debt and you're doing something you love, what's wrong with that?

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
my hsc is in 2014 and from estimates and such if I keep up how I am going I will probably get an atar between 80 - 90, probably upper 80s.

problem is, I don't know what I want to study in uni when I go. I am thinking of a few courses but not feeling enough passion. the only thing I want to do is in TAFE, which is courses on web site design, development / programming courses. I know there are some computer courses in Uni but I feel they don't focus enough on specifically what I want to learn (web development/programming). maybe like 20% is focused on that.

to be honest I want to do both tafe and uni. I was thinking maybe nursing in uni and web site stuff in tafe. but I am afraid even if I plan to do one after the other.. it won't work.. plus maths and computer stuff isn't my strength, but I definitely have some motivation towards it as I have done some web site design and although it's different from programming, I enjoy it because of what I can create with code.. I have watched people program and seen what can be created, it fascinates me, I want to write my own programs .. what do you think?
Uni courses allow you to major, whereas TAFE courses pretty much force you to pick a specific course right from the start of your diploma (Although TAFE courses are generally shorter, some are 6-24 months, easily allowing you to transfer into a degree thereafter), you can also choose uni electives in Web/Software Development, it's not like if you go to uni, you will only learn one area of computing and nothing else.

Also an important thing to note, courses aim to teach you the PRINCIPLES behind technology and how it applies to the real world using tools, theories and languages as illustrative EXAMPLES. They don't focus directly on one or two languages/tools and that's it.

There are exceptions of people didn't even get qualifications and ended up in jobs at Google, Facebook, IT companies (https://medium.com/this-happened-to-me/8f381aa6bd5e) (www.linkedin.com/today/post/article...insights-from-google-on-recruiting-and-hiring) but it's extremely hard for the average person interested in technology to do the same without qualification(s) and experience, these 'I didn't get any qualification' spots are more reserved for a handful of outliers, as for everyone else, qualifications and gaining side industry experience are generally good ways to start. Otherwise, take a gap year, learn some stuff on the side for yourself (via online channels and books, PS: good idea of what you need for Comp Sci: www.steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2008/03/get-that-job-at-google.html), network with people (go to tech events), research more into courses, go on a holiday and then make your decision. :)

Good luck and all the best with your choice!

Joanna88

HSC
N/A
This is a great post, usually i don’t post comments on blogs but I would like to say that this post really forced me to do so!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)