Academy of Interactive Entertainment (AIE) or Academy of Information Technology (AIT) (1 Viewer)

Marundanation

HSC
Hello,

I am currently doing Yr 12 2014 HSC and I am thinking what 'universities' should I go for.

I wanted to work on media, interactive arts or game development. I looked at UTS' Game Development course (Bachelor of Science in Games Development) and the required ATAR is 91.50! Even though I have not finished the HSC, I do not think I could reach 90+. Realistically I can reach 80-89 ATAR. My top subjects are English, Art and Software Design & Development.

So that leaves me with two other options:
Option 1 - Academy of Interactive Entertainment (AIE) offering Bachelor of Games and Virtual Worlds.
Option 2 - Academy of Information Technology (AIT) offering Bachelor of Interactive Media (Game Development)

I know very little about these two 'Academies' and for those who may know, which one would you recommend?
Do note that AIT offers a 'pathway' to UTS. Which means once you finish whatever course you desire in AIT, they can get you a place into UTS' Master degree or something. Plus they also have the FEE-HELP scheme (http://studyassist.gov.au/sites/studyassist/helppayingmyfees/fee-help/pages/fee-help-). I do not know what FEE-HELP is but it does sound helpful.

A side question if I may. Does it really matter what University do we go to? Will it not really affect my chance of finding a job? Considering they offer very similar or identical bachelor degrees. To be honest my knowledge of universities is very slim. Can you help me?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Bolt

hashtagswag
HSC
Re: Academy of Interactive Entertainment (AIE) or Academy of Information Technology (

Can't say much about either university but I wanted to remind you to not forget about bonus points - the subjects you're taking might just push you over the cutoff.

Marundanation

HSC
Re: Academy of Interactive Entertainment (AIE) or Academy of Information Technology (

Can't say much about either university but I wanted to remind you to not forget about bonus points - the subjects you're taking might just push you over the cutoff.
Yes, but however that requires me to have an ATAR of 86-87 which I may not achieve. I am trying to make sure I am covered just in case. And AIT does offer a pathway to UTS which I am not sure what they mean.

Also what troubles me is that I am applying a course to get into an industry that does not exist in Australia! There are no job opportunity for game development in Sydney (no major game studios) except for modelling or animation for films and such.

stgeorge2

HSC

Come to USYD, I think there was a course called Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology, ATAR is 81.80 for 2014 entry, and there are 2 courses, jump in the normal one if you really like it you might be able to transfer to the advanced one :) But not too sure if that course teacher you game designs or not.

Marundanation

HSC

Come to USYD, I think there was a course called Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology, ATAR is 81.80 for 2014 entry, and there are 2 courses, jump in the normal one if you really like it you might be able to transfer to the advanced one :) But not too sure if that course teacher you game designs or not.
Nope. My ATAR is 64. This is what happens when you choose artistic/expressive and technology subjects and not academics.
They all say pick what you are good at or interested in. But sometimes the subjects you are good at do not scale well even if you did very good.

malcolm21

HSC
N/A

Nope. My ATAR is 64. This is what happens when you choose artistic/expressive and technology subjects and not academics.
They all say pick what you are good at or interested in. But sometimes the subjects you are good at do not scale well even if you did very good.
What are you planning to do now?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)