Computer Science at usyd/uts? (1 Viewer)

phcan

HSC
Hi i'm in high school and i've been looking at the computer science course at the university of sydney but i'm not sure whether the course is better there or at UTS?

Btw. I have little experience in programming since we only just touched it in IST when i was in year 10 (my school does not offer IPT or SDD for year 11/12) and i dropped 3u maths in halfway in year 11 so i understand i would probably have to do a 3u maths bridging course.

If anyone is currently doing one of these courses at either uni's i'd like to know on how you've found it and all. :)

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
From my experience CSE at UNSW is great, I really enjoyed my COMP course and I'm keen to take more now

turntaker

HSC
Hi i'm in high school and i've been looking at the computer science course at the university of sydney but i'm not sure whether the course is better there or at UTS?

Btw. I have little experience in programming since we only just touched it in IST when i was in year 10 (my school does not offer IPT or SDD for year 11/12) and i dropped 3u maths in halfway in year 11 so i understand i would probably have to do a 3u maths bridging course.

If anyone is currently doing one of these courses at either uni's i'd like to know on how you've found it and all. :)
from what I have heard UNSW offers the best Comp Sci course in nsw. That's wanna I wanna do as well.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
UTS doesn't have comp sci, just IT and ICT Engineering (Software)

IT has no maths unless you choose data analytics major I believe. (Or do the "Mathematics and computing" combined course)

Dachsy

HSC
N/A
Can't give a definitive response to what would be considered the "better" choice, but I've done a computing subject in USYD so I'll give you some insight into my experience. Overall, I thought the subject was quite good and interesting. However, some of the assignments were very challenging (coming from someone with zero programming experience) and I struggled throughout the semester. Maybe that's just me. Jokes, it's probably just me. Also, 3U maths is not necessary - you can request to do 2U maths units/classes instead.
From my limited knowledge of UTS, there's not much maths involved. I'm not sure if those subjects are CS though (I believe that CS would require a fair bit of maths).
I guess there's also UNSW --- where many are eager for you to go. There's always bonus points and transfers. But really, don't make assumptions - you are probably more intelligent than you think!

Anyways, ...Sorry for not being that helpful...as I said, I only did one programming subject so I do have a narrow view.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Can't give a definitive response to what would be considered the "better" choice, but I've done a computing subject in USYD so I'll give you some insight into my experience. Overall, I thought the subject was quite good and interesting. However, some of the assignments were very challenging (coming from someone with zero programming experience) and I struggled throughout the semester. Maybe that's just me. Jokes, it's probably just me. Also, 3U maths is not necessary - you can request to do 2U maths units/classes instead.
From my limited knowledge of UTS, there's not much maths involved. I'm not sure if those subjects are CS though (I believe that CS would require a fair bit of maths).
I guess there's also UNSW --- where many are eager for you to go. There's always bonus points and transfers. But really, don't make assumptions - you are probably more intelligent than you think!

Anyways, ...Sorry for not being that helpful...as I said, I only did one programming subject so I do have a narrow view.
that's the same anywhere

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
that's the same anywhere
Not really, introductory programming subjects are a mixed bag in terms of students reactions. Some people struggle and others find them extremely easy.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Not really, introductory programming subjects are a mixed bag in terms of students reactions. Some people struggle and others find them extremely easy.
i meant that the assignments and stuff will be 'hard' (generally) pretty much everywhere. People in my class varied eg, i had zero experience, others had some in a different language and others were season pros at C however (generally) we all found the level of difficulty acceptable and the main factor of our marks was how much time we invested in the subject

Dachsy

HSC
N/A
Well the OP did want to know 'how you've found it an all'. I'm merely stating my thoughts. :) Can't say if that helped the OP in any way though, haha.
It's not like I have the assumption that it is any easier elsewhere. Nor do I find the level of difficulty 'unacceptable'. It certainly occupied a lot of my time, but the challenge was worth it at the end. Anyhow like many subjects, there's always the beginners who are innately good at this stuff/are quick learners who can finish the assignments really quickly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)