So hesitate to chose either Computer Science of UQ or IT of UTS (1 Viewer)

thinkpop

HSC
Hi

I'm an international student going to study master degree in kind of computer field.

In terms of deciding which one would be the further course.
Please explain me what are the differences in study experience between computer science,UQ and IT of UTS.

Thanks in advance.

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
UTS is not very good for CS. It isn't a highly respected engineering university. UQ is much better.

thinkpop

HSC
You are so helpful. Thanks a lot.

One more question.
How about IT major in UTS, is CS in UQ still better?

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
UTS is not very good for CS. It isn't a highly respected engineering university. UQ is much better.
UTS doesn't even have Comp Sci anymore, they got rid of it in the early 90s from what I understood from what a Tutor told me who graduated from it. (I also know a few Googlers who did Comp Sci at UTS when they had it).

I guess UTS lost its skilled staff to teach such a degree... or they tended to focus more on delivering business applications over the nitty gritty of theories and low-level concepts for IT at least. Engineering is still pretty intense, no matter which uni you go to, but yes, UTS is probably lesser known as a 'better' uni for these things - course material wise.

You are so helpful. Thanks a lot.

One more question.
How about IT major in UTS, is CS in UQ still better?
I can't speak about UQ, but Comp Sci is more respected at a lot of big-tech and smaller tech companies too, IT is more of a generalist degree at UTS, it's very high level and doesn't push much into deep theories if that's what you want. I've found it to be more report writing more than anything else, but BScIT does give you the option to major into four different streams.

All the best!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)