Couple of questions about BSci (Computer Science) (1 Viewer)

birdlace

HSC
- Is there a huge difference between BSci (Computer Science) and the B Computer Science, both at UNSW?
- Would having no background in Software Design and Development, Information Processes and Technology, and/or Physics make it a lot harder to do?
- Would learning a couple of programming languages be helpful? If so, which ones and which sites and stuff are the best to do it?

Thanks!

peri24

HSC
- Is there a huge difference between BSci (Computer Science) and the B Computer Science, both at UNSW?
- Would having no background in Software Design and Development, Information Processes and Technology, and/or Physics make it a lot harder to do?
- Would learning a couple of programming languages be helpful? If so, which ones and which sites and stuff are the best to do it?

Thanks!
A few minor differences. One of them being what will be said on your graduation papers. Having no background knowledge in the subjects you listed wont make it a lot harder. Make sure you have a good amount of mathematics skills and knowledge. Just make sure you know how so write and structure different types of languages, e.g. C, perl and python etc. Each language have their advantages and disadvantages, but if you can learn C now it would be great.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
- no they're the same thing. You can't major in cs if you're doing a single degree
- no
- C, Java

birdlace

HSC
Any suggestions of where can I learn C and Java, and possibly Python?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Hi there, I'm currently a student in BSci/BSci(Comp Science) at UNSW. The degree you are referring to is called B Science(Computer Science) and not called Bachelor of Computer Science.

1. Actually I would say having no background in HSC Software Design and Development is more helpful as the course wasn't great when I did it in high school. Neither HSC SDD nor HSC Physics is a prerequisite for the subjects in the degree. However I do recommend learning math at a high level. You may want to take a look at Discrete Mathematics.

2. Yes learning different languages was a big help, however if you're starting out pick up one and master it. You will learn C in the first year of your degree at UNSW

3. If you're planning to start out with C, there are some references I can recommend:

- The infamous book: The C Programming Language (2nd Ed) by Brian Kernighan and [Dennis Ritchie (creator of the C language)]. Amazon Preview.

- C Programming: A Modern Approach (2nd Ed) by KN King. No Amazon Preview Available.

- And once you learn about pointers: Understanding and Using C Pointers by Richard Reese. Amazon Preview.

Last edited:

CaptainPrice

HSC
How much time do you guys estimate you spend on a computer science degree weekly in number of hours?

Would it be helpful if I start learning discrete maths now? Since I've heard so many people struggle with it...

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
How much time do you guys estimate you spend on a computer science degree weekly in number of hours?

Would it be helpful if I start learning discrete maths now? Since I've heard so many people struggle with it...
few hours

won't make a difference, everyone gets rekt

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A

Well discrete maths is helpful not just in CS but if you're planning to major in maths also (BSci/BSci(Comp Sci) degree) because it is the first exposure high school students get to a proof based course. But what you do in your holidays is up to you, not for us to decide, there is no harm in learning more each day.

birdlace

HSC
Oh okay, thanks for clearing that up!

Did you bother with online programs like codecademy or scratch?

CaptainPrice

HSC
Well discrete maths is helpful not just in CS but if you're planning to major in maths also (BSci/BSci(Comp Sci) degree) because it is the first exposure high school students get to a proof based course. But what you do in your holidays is up to you, not for us to decide, there is no harm in learning more each day.
I guess it wouldn't hurt to do a little bit of reading, I'm a lot more excited for algorithms and programming though :D

Oh okay, thanks for clearing that up!

Did you bother with online programs like codecademy or scratch?
They can be extremely helpful, especially if you've never programmed before. I found Zed Shaw's 'Learn Python The Hard Way' to be good, it's also available online for free as well -

http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/

I personally thought Codecademy to be boring and repetitive at times, although your experience may vary.

Also, it doesn't matter which language you choose to learn, it's much more important to learn the fundamentals/concepts of programming first - learning the syntax of a language is the easier bit.

birdlace

HSC
They can be extremely helpful, especially if you've never programmed before. I found Zed Shaw's 'Learn Python The Hard Way' to be good, it's also available online for free as well -

http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/

I personally thought Codecademy to be boring and repetitive at times, although your experience may vary.

Also, it doesn't matter which language you choose to learn, it's much more important to learn the fundamentals/concepts of programming first - learning the syntax of a language is the easier bit.
I've heard good things about 'Learn Python The Hard Way', but also that people have mixed feelings about codecademy...

Sorry if this sounds dumb but does this mean that these fundamentals are usually covered in the 'introduction' stages of python or C, or is a whole separate thing altogether?

CaptainPrice

HSC
They're always taught along with the syntax of the language, for example in lpthw, every chapter teaches a new concept WITH the syntax of Python so you can practise them yourself.

What I meant by my comment about teaching yourselves the fundamentals first is that they are usually the same in every language, only the syntax is different - hence there's no point in getting picky over a language (this was me haha).

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
If you're gonna learn Python, reddit.com/r/learnpython is better than /r/learnprogramming. They will give you more specific advice.

Learning programming before starting uni isn't always a good idea, because you'll pick up bad habits on your own that will take a while to correct at uni.

birdlace

HSC
Not sure if anyone'll respond but I was wondering if it matters if you learn programming and stuff on a mac or PC in uni? Do they specify or is it up to you?

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Not sure if anyone'll respond but I was wondering if it matters if you learn programming and stuff on a mac or PC in uni? Do they specify or is it up to you?
doesn't matter, 'same' thing

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Any suggestions of where can I learn C and Java, and possibly Python?
This guy used to work at YouTube. He dropped it to start making coding tutorials on YouTube. I'd highly recommend it. (If it helps, he also dropped out of college/uni as he couldn't see the point and ended up just reading programming books in his own time - he has numerous walkthrough videos of his history as well), particular this one I found inspiring

The first video has over 3 million views!

Enjoy! And don't sweat it. :)

In Computer Science, there's less emphasise on actually learning the syntax of languages, but more the data structures, patterns and code reuse strategies + a whole bunch of maths and a bit of (or a lot of - depending where you elective) hardware theory.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)