comp science at unsw or usyd (1 Viewer)

duhdevitt

HSC
Hey Im looking Into doing computer science because I enjoy maths physics and software and I'm going pretty well in those subjects and I do some coding as a hobby so I'm really into it. I know unsw is the best uni for computer science but what's the difference between usyd and unsw for comp science. I might go to usyd cos its closer and the atar cut off is not that hard to get compared to unsw

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I don't know much about USyd's School of Computing, but UNSW's school is pretty awesome. They have prizes all the time for outstanding students. As a student you get access to a server where you can code, test the code and run it. The building is quite new and the school has a good structure (you'll be in good hands in terms of lecturers and course cooordinators as I have heard from my 3rd/4th/5th year buddies of mine). UNSW has succeeded at a high level globally for robo cup (world champions at some stage).

So yeah the school has a great environment. Can't say I know much about other uni's so I encourage you to visit other uni's as well for info/open day, e-mail appropriate school representatives, etc. Do your research and find something that suits you.

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
UNSW and USyd both have fantastic CS departments. UNSW may be a teeny bit better. Don't make your decision based on the programme, choose the university that suits you best.

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
Evidently UNSW wins.
That mostly shows that more USyd graduates go into postgraduate studies than UNSW students. The actual disparity between the number of employed or studying people between the two unis is small. Median graduate salary can be explained the same way. Also, it's unclear whether the table refers to CS grads only or to all grads.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Eh? What? I don't understand this on a number of levels. Is this just for CS?

93.5 + 7.8 > 100. I know they must be doing some sort of averaging, but they should probably be getting 100% total maximum. Also, how does this prove that UNSW is better?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)