Need help deciding (1 Viewer)

StrangeBacon

HSC
hey guys, i'am having a difficult time deciding what to put as top preference.

my considerations are
Software Engineering @ UNSW
Computer Science @ UNSW
ICT Engineering @UTS

basically iam looking for your views on them, especially on job prospects

Also my ATAR is 85.25

malcolm21

HSC
N/A
I don't know about ICT Engineering but se and cs are pretty similar job wise, I think

Flop21

HSC
Curious was you intend to do as a career after uni?

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
Curious was you intend to do as a career after uni?
This.

What's the goal? IT is more about experience than a degree, so if you're hoping that a degree will land you 19203812930 jobs then it unfortunately won't always work like that.

StrangeBacon

HSC
I don't really have a goal as to what to do after Uni. I was thinking working for government/defence agencies or possibly research (if i can) but anything works

Last edited:

CaptainPrice

HSC
Then Computer Science will suit you MUCH better. More freedom with electives, and is more suitable for research.

StrangeBacon

HSC
Do employers see a large difference between the computer science and software engineering degrees? Do they value generally value one better than the other?

turntaker

HSC
Do employers see a large difference between the computer science and software engineering degrees? Do they value generally value one better than the other?
Not necessarily, both are fairly equal.
Computer Science is more common and international more recognized but software engineering is equal.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Well one thing with Software Engineering that I have seen is students that have graduated with Electrical or Mechatronic degrees becoming Software Engineers (but they were actually really exceptional students who excelled a lot).

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Well one thing with Software Engineering that I have seen is students that have graduated with Electrical or Mechatronic degrees becoming Software Engineers (but they were actually really exceptional students who excelled a lot).
this

engineers are needed everywhere you can end up almost anywhere :D

turntaker

HSC
You should choose computer engineering

StrangeBacon

HSC
just one more question...since i'am leaning heavily towards Comp Sci at the moment, how valuable are the SENG workshop? to know what iam missing out on

You should choose computer engineering
i made the unfortunate mistake of not taking HSC physics and it seems that computer engineering needs it

CaptainPrice

HSC
i made the unfortunate mistake of not taking HSC physics and it seems that computer engineering needs it
You can do a bridging course (if it's a prerequisite). From what I gather from forums, it seems uni physics is nearly all maths compared to hsc physics, so you'r not missing out on much tbh.

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
+1 Can confirm.

Brother did Telecom Engineering (USyd) 15 years ago now works as a senior Software Engineer.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
You can learn all the stuff in HSC Physics in better detail in PHYS1231 in second semester first year. The course is a requirement for Comp Eng but honestly you can still do fine in it with minimal (Motors and Generators and Ideas to Implementation from HSC and Electricity in the home from prelim) prior knowledge. Those modules are helpful but not necessary to do fine in PHYS1231.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)