Startups in Sydney? (1 Viewer)

turntaker

HSC
Is sydney a suitable city for a small startup in IT?

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
It's not bad, but it's not great either. From what I've heard, funding is hard to come by. All the founders whom I know are branching out into Asia and the US. There is a startup scene though.

turntaker

HSC
It's not bad, but it's not great either. From what I've heard, funding is hard to come by. All the founders whom I know are branching out into Asia and the US. There is a startup scene though.
Where in Asia is a good hub for startups?

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
Depends on the startup's goal. Off the top of my head: Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong.
What's your startup idea?

turntaker

HSC
Depends on the startup's goal. Off the top of my head: Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong.
What's your startup idea?
I am not sure yet dude. Still thinking every day hoping by the time I graduate I will have something :D

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Entrepreneurship Is like a gamble, you have to invest a lot of time and money.But you could either can

Win big because ur startup was really good

Or

Crash and burn because your idea was pure shit

turntaker

HSC
Entrepreneurship Is like a gamble, you have to invest a lot of time and money.But you could either can

Win big because ur startup was really good

Or

Crash and burn because your idea was pure shit
Yes that is true. But if you don't try you'll never know.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes that is true. But if you don't try you'll never know.
That's correct..
For an example..Maxtrix Tutoring is created by a guy who did Aeronautucal Engo from UNSW..

And Kogan is a great example of Australian Entrepreneurship

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
I worked at a startup in Sydney for a few years during high school and the start of uni. I was employee #4 or #5 and the company went up in value from around $100k when I joined to tens of millions by the time I left. That was great fun. They've recently moved to San Francisco where the real money is. The lifestyle of a founder is incredibly stressful, so before you start you should think hard about whether you essentially want to have zero work/life balance for the next few years.

I recommend listening to this for a glimpse into what it's like to start a company: http://gimletmedia.com/show/startup/

turntaker

HSC
I worked at a startup in Sydney for a few years during high school and the start of uni. I was employee #4 or #5 and the company went up in value from around $100k when I joined to tens of millions by the time I left. That was great fun. They've recently moved to San Francisco where the real money is. The lifestyle of a founder is incredibly stressful, so before you start you should think hard about whether you essentially want to have zero work/life balance for the next few years.

I recommend listening to this for a glimpse into what it's like to start a company: http://gimletmedia.com/show/startup/
How did you manage to get the job while in high school lmao

turntaker

HSC
I had a job in HS..

There is this show called Shark Tank..watch it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah but most people work in retail or food not working for a startup the firm.

turntaker

HSC

Can I also ask what the startup was about? Like what product/service did they offer.

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
I did work experience there and stayed. They're in the educational technology sector, which incidentally is undergoing massive growth at the moment and is a great space for startups. Just look at Udacity, Coursera, Knewton, edX, Khan Academy, and co. These companies are raising bucketloads of money to solve hard interesting problems in the areas of learning analytics, educational data mining, automated assessment, etc. and the solutions will change the face of education. OpenLearning (https://www.openlearning.com/) and Grok Learning (https://groklearning.com/) are two examples of Sydney-based ed-tech startups that have started in the last few years. OpenLearning began at UNSW CSE (Richard Buckland and others) and Grok Learning began at USyd (James Curran and more generally the National Computer Science School programme).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)