Web Development Thread (Beginners) (1 Viewer)

turntaker

HSC
I recently got into web development and there are a few things I wish someone had told me because I had no idea where to start.

MUST-KNOW skills and foundation

These skills are important regardless of if you are going to do back-end work or front-end work.

• HTML
  • CSS
  • Javascript

You need at least 60% knowledge of HTML and CSS and about 25% knowledege of Javascript.

A really good way of learning these is this website: (100% free, no registration)http://www.w3schools.com/

Check out astroman's thread on learning resources:

It is important to have a goal before beginning to learn. (Even if it is a small homepage for your pet. Goals like this make it much easier and enjoyable to learn since you apply what you have learnt straight away.
Required Software

You don't need a whole bunch of software to get into basic web-dev.
You will need a Text-Editor and a Web Browser

Text Editor:
You can start writing CSS and HTML in Notepad or any basic text editor.
However, some make it easier for you to write HTML.

I would recommend these:
  • Notepad++ (windows platform)
  • Sublime Text (any platform)

Browser:

I suggest Google Chrome as a browser.

note: I will update this thread regularly as I learn more.

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
These skills are important regardless of if you are going to do back-end work or front-end work.

• HTML
  • CSS
  • Javascript
Are you doing NodeJS/server side JS?

It's the big thing now (full stack JS), but traditionally back end work is done on other languages/platforms. (PHP, Ruby on rails, python, .NET etc.)

turntaker

HSC
Are you doing NodeJS/server side JS?

It's the big thing now (full stack JS), but traditionally back end work is done on other languages/platforms. (PHP, Ruby on rails, python, .NET etc.)
I think I am going to learn Ruby on Rails later this year just because Ruby is a friendly language.

what about c and c++
C is a low level language and is rarely used in web development. C++ is used more for software.
The languages that are common for web dev are PHP, Ruby, Javascript, Python

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I think I am going to learn Ruby on Rails later this year just because Ruby is a friendly language.
To be honest, Rails is losing favor to full stack JS these days - stuff like the MEAN stack (MongoDB + ExpressJS + AngularJS + NodeJS), MeteorJS etc.

turntaker

HSC
To be honest, Rails is losing favor to full stack JS these days - stuff like the MEAN stack (MongoDB + ExpressJS + AngularJS + NodeJS), MeteorJS etc.
Oh. I see. I'll have to do more research then.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Oh. I see. I'll have to do more research then.
Still no problem with learning something like Rails or Django (Python) even if they are getting a bit dated! They were/are very influential.

I just think full stack Javascript is very exciting as you can do so much with a single language and it's becoming mature enough know that large companies are using it/swapping to it (was a silicon valley startup kind of trend initially). The features that make it an good platform for businesses/professionals also makes it nice for people playing around with it at home/learning too.

But JS has a lot of bad parts to it - so it's very important to follow good practice and what not.

turntaker

HSC
Still no problem with learning something like Rails or Django (Python) even if they are getting a bit dated! They were/are very influential.

I just think full stack Javascript is very exciting as you can do so much with a single language and it's becoming mature enough know that large companies are using it/swapping to it (was a silicon valley startup kind of trend initially). The features that make it an good platform for businesses/professionals also makes it nice for people playing around with it at home/learning too.

But JS has a lot of bad parts to it - so it's very important to follow good practice and what not.
I decided against Ruby on Rails simply because of the rise of Node.js. I think learning one language (Javascript) is easier since you can use it both for front end and back end.

keepLooking

HSC
Good luck with this, I am planning on doing something similar after the HSC. It will be great to see your updates soon :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)