Comp sci vs software eng (1 Viewer)

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC
Hi! I know this is a bit late but could someone explain what the advantage of B software engineering is over B computer science? From what I have learnt, computer science is better because you have greater subject flexibility, it's a year shorter, less rigorous maths while job prospects are similar. I'm enrolled in B software engineering at the moment but I'm thinking of transferring to advanced computer science for these reasons.

The uni I am going is USyd btw. And yes square, I know UNSW is better but I'm 5 atar points too dumb to get in. :(

turntaker

HSC
Hi! I know this is a bit late but could someone explain what the advantage of B software engineering is over B computer science? From what I have learnt, computer science is better because you have greater subject flexibility, it's a year shorter, less rigorous maths while job prospects are similar. I'm enrolled in B software engineering at the moment but I'm thinking of transferring to advanced computer science for these reasons.

The uni I am going is USyd btw. And yes square, I know UNSW is better but I'm 5 atar points too dumb to get in. :(
If your atar is 86 you could still apply. 99% unsw would have accepted you. (The cut off is not true 91)

Anyways. In terms of comp sci vs software engo . both are regarded to be equal in the industry.

I would go with comp sci as its much more flexible and is 1 year shorter. (Unless you want to be accredited as an "engineer" I don't see a reason to do SE personally)

Silly Sausage

HSC
I'm not too familiar with this but I as far as I know.

CS involves alot of theory which can applied to a wide variety of situations.

Software engineering is mainly about developing, optimization of software packages as well as some management.

Flop21

HSC
They are equal at UNSW. In fact they even go to say all their 4 computing degrees are equal (but I kind of disagree).

Employees also see them as equal.

At other unis, it may be that software engineering is more practical, while computer science goes deeper into theory. But I have no idea how it is at USYD.

A lot of people at UNSW transfer into comp sci from the other 3 degrees, as comp sci is very flexible (with many free electives).

Thief

!!
HSC
I'd go for CS since it's one year less so you'll be out in the workforce earning $$$ quicker.

Danoraptor

HSC
Uni Grad
Computer Science has greater flexibility in subject choice. Also, it opens you up to jobs in data analytics, business analytics, data science, UX/UI design, as well as software engineering. SEng is more rigid in its job opportunities, which is good if you are set on being an expert software engineer only.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)