Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Thief

Thread: Comp sci vs software eng

The optimistic pessimist. FlyingKanga's Avatar
    HSC

Comp sci vs software eng

Hi! I know this is a bit late but could someone explain what the advantage of B software engineering is over B computer science? From what I have learnt, computer science is better because you have greater subject flexibility, it's a year shorter, less rigorous maths while job prospects are similar. I'm enrolled in B software engineering at the moment but I'm thinking of transferring to advanced computer science for these reasons.

The uni I am going is USyd btw. And yes square, I know UNSW is better but I'm 5 atar points too dumb to get in.

HSC

Re: Comp sci vs software eng

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKanga View Post
    Hi! I know this is a bit late but could someone explain what the advantage of B software engineering is over B computer science? From what I have learnt, computer science is better because you have greater subject flexibility, it's a year shorter, less rigorous maths while job prospects are similar. I'm enrolled in B software engineering at the moment but I'm thinking of transferring to advanced computer science for these reasons.

The uni I am going is USyd btw. And yes square, I know UNSW is better but I'm 5 atar points too dumb to get in.
    If your atar is 86 you could still apply. 99% unsw would have accepted you. (The cut off is not true 91)

Anyways. In terms of comp sci vs software engo . both are regarded to be equal in the industry.

I would go with comp sci as its much more flexible and is 1 year shorter. (Unless you want to be accredited as an "engineer" I don't see a reason to do SE personally)
    "I have crippling depression" -Mahatma Gandhi
    Quote Originally Posted by Katsumi View Post
    lol

HSC

I'm not too familiar with this but I as far as I know.

CS involves alot of theory which can applied to a wide variety of situations.

Software engineering is mainly about developing, optimization of software packages as well as some management.

HSC

They are equal at UNSW. In fact they even go to say all their 4 computing degrees are equal (but I kind of disagree).

Employees also see them as equal.

At other unis, it may be that software engineering is more practical, while computer science goes deeper into theory. But I have no idea how it is at USYD.

A lot of people at UNSW transfer into comp sci from the other 3 degrees, as comp sci is very flexible (with many free electives).
    2015 HSC: English Adv, Mathematics, Business Studies, Biology, Multimedia.

HSC Biology Flashcards

HSC

I'd go for CS since it's one year less so you'll be out in the workforce earning $$$ quicker.
    turntaker likes this.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Computer Science has greater flexibility in subject choice. Also, it opens you up to jobs in data analytics, business analytics, data science, UX/UI design, as well as software engineering. SEng is more rigid in its job opportunities, which is good if you are set on being an expert software engineer only.
    Freighters gonna freight.

Executive Member
    HSC

Go for CS. Anyone can SE.
    USYD 2018: MAJ: FINC/LAW MIN: MATH/PHIL

Thread Information