More jobs in web development or software development? (1 Viewer)

Danoraptor

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm a second year computer science student at USYD. My main experience and interest are in web development and data science, I'm wondering if anyone knows the job prospects of these fields compared to software development.

I will take a software job if the opportunity comes up but I'm primarily interested in web development and data visualisation/analysis.

turntaker

HSC
I'm a second year computer science student at USYD. My main experience and interest are in web development and data science, I'm wondering if anyone knows the job prospects of these fields compared to software development.

I will take a software job if the opportunity comes up but I'm primarily interested in web development and data visualisation/analysis.
Back end web development is greatly in demand. Front end, not so much as it is considered to be easier and more people do it. Essentially, back end dev is software dev, except you write software for servers.

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
If you want to work in data science you should get at least a masters if not a PhD in a field like machine learning.

What exactly do you mean by 'web dev' and how is it different to software dev? Most people would consider web dev to be a subdiscipline of software dev.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I'll also add that web dev and other software development are gradually merging.

Mobile apps are usually driven by a back end no different to modern dynamic websites, and a lot of new Enterprise applications are using web technology too.

I think by web dev, you meant you want to be a full stack or front end dev - tbh I'd say data science is quite far from that.

turntaker

HSC
I'll also add that web dev and other software development are gradually merging.

Mobile apps are usually driven by a back end no different to modern dynamic websites, and a lot of new Enterprise applications are using web technology too.

I think by web dev, you meant you want to be a full stack or front end dev - tbh I'd say data science is quite far from that.
would you recommend focusing on mobile dev or web.

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
would you recommend focusing on mobile dev or web.
To be successful in your career, you need to be flexible and have a broad set of skills - the sort you get with a CS degree :) If you do only on mobile dev or only on web dev, you're limiting your success. It's totally OK to focus more on one than the other though. There are more jobs in web dev and it's arguably easier to get started in web dev than mobile dev. But you could totally do both.

Kolmias

HSC
i saw a few IT jobs on ULinked, its a site for undegrads and graduates to find job opportunities. There uni students themselves who made it :) pretty cool!
Sounds and looks like a ripoff of LinkedIn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)