Which unis in Sydney offer a Degree in Computer Science? (1 Viewer)

hdsq

HSC
N/A
My desired career path is computer programming.

Would anyone be able to suggest the best order for a UAC application?

So far I have:

UNSW - Bach. Computer Science
Uni. Syd. - Bach. Computer Science & Technology
UWS - Bach. Computer Science

Am I missing any?

Post-graduation, gaining a job easier and a higher salary is what appeals most to me.

Many Thanks.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Have you considered software engineering or computer engineering?

If you want to do a bit more with hardware, then consider computer engineering.

There's also UTS, UoW and a few other universities here in NSW that offer these and/or comp sci.

hdsq

HSC
N/A
Hello anomalousdecay,

I have considered Software Engineering, but inclined to Computer Science as it's the most sort after degree in job adverts for programmers.

Are you able to confirm UTS has a Computer Science degree or something similar as I cannot find it on their website?

Flop21

HSC
Hello anomalousdecay,

I have considered Software Engineering, but inclined to Computer Science as it's the most sort after degree in job adverts for programmers.

Are you able to confirm UTS has a Computer Science degree or something similar as I cannot find it on their website?

UTS only has an IT degree and ICT engineering degrees, no computer science degree.

Go for UNSW. It's the top uni for comp science, do a quick google and you'll find others agree.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
You can go further with a software engineering or computer science degree. Sure you can graduate as one or the other, but with experience you can become something else (eg could end up doing some form of computer engineering down the track even).

hdsq

HSC
N/A
I understand that UNSW is the best for Computer Science, but it is also a very hard course to get into as it's ATAR is high and there're limited slots, so I am trying work work out other options for my UAC application. Are Uni. of Syd. and UWS the only other options?

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC
I understand that UNSW is the best for Computer Science, but it is also a very hard course to get into as it's ATAR is high and there're limited slots, so I am trying work work out other options for my UAC application. Are Uni. of Syd. and UWS the only other options?
USYD computer science is also good, it's only one ranking less compared to UNSW on QS rankings but yeah, I've heard UNSW's facilities are cooler so I might transfer if I can.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
QS rankings are really bad indicators for undergraduate study.

I suggest you go to the universities yourself for open days or info days then make a decision as to what is best for you.

Tailor your university experience for yourself to make the most of it. Don't follow the crowd just for the sake of it.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
UNSW's social life and CSESoc is also very active

Of course the good stuff is going to be hard to get in to

Flop21

HSC
ATAR is 91. You either get it or you don't. They have a FEAS program though where if you get 80+ you might get in based on an interview.

UOW is also a good uni and has a fairly low entry score so you can get in alright (they also have early entry, entry before HSC).

So really if you don't get into UNSW, it'll come down to what uni you like best.

It's my understanding that USYD entry is high 80s, but tbh I'd go for a UNSW science degree and transfer (which is 85).

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
For some reason, Usyd has a few types of Computer Science degrees:
- Bachelor of Science, with a major in CompSc (requiring 83 ATAR)
- Bachelor of CompSc and Tech (81 ATAR)
- Bachelor of CompSc and Tech Advanced (87 ATAR) (a very odd degree imo)
- Bachelor of IT (Computer Science major apparently?) (92 ATAR)

I can see why Usyd now wants to reduce their degrees in the recent articles i read.

At UNSW, theres no option to do a normal Bachelor of Science (the one requiring 84 ATAR) with a major in CompSc, you can study courses in CompSc electives of course, but not the option to do a full major - you would need the Bachelor of Science (CompSc) (requiring 91 ATAR) to do that.

But to answer OP's question, in metro Sydney - only Usyd, UNSW, and UWS offers Computer Science.

Last edited:

hdsq

HSC
N/A
Thank you so much sirable1, you are a gem!

And many thanks to all for all their information. My UAC application is almost complete. I just got to pick which of the Usyd courses listed above to add.

Silly Sausage

HSC
For some reason, Usyd has a few types of Computer Science degrees:
- Bachelor of Science, with a major in CompSc (requiring 83 ATAR)
- Bachelor of CompSc and Tech (81 ATAR)
- Bachelor of CompSc and Tech (87 ATAR) (a very odd degree imo)
- Bachelor of IT (Computer Science major apparently?) (92 ATAR)

I can see why Usyd now wants to reduce their degrees in the recent articles i read.

At UNSW, theres no option to do a normal Bachelor of Science (the one requiring 84 ATAR) with a major in CompSc, you can study courses in CompSc electives of course, but not the option to do a full major - you would need the Bachelor of Science (CompSc) (requiring 91 ATAR) to do that.

But to answer OP's question, in metro Sydney - only Usyd, UNSW, and UWS offers Computer Science.
So does UTS and MQ

MascaraOfIce

HSC
If you were considering Computer Science at USYD, I highly recommend you look at these:

- Bachelor of Science majoring in Computer Science (83 ATAR cutoff)
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced) majoring in Computer Science (95 ATAR cutoff)

You have more flexibility compared to the "Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology" and also get to avoid ridiculous "core" units. You also have the chance to get a second science major like Mathematics or Physics.

hdsq

HSC
N/A
Thank you so much MascaraOfIce! While looking at the units of each course, the Bachelor of Science seemed more flexible as you mention, but I was still unsure which was the better one. This confirms it.

UAC application complete!

:)

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC
If you were considering Computer Science at USYD, I highly recommend you look at these:

- Bachelor of Science majoring in Computer Science (83 ATAR cutoff)
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced) majoring in Computer Science (95 ATAR cutoff)

You have more flexibility compared to the "Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology" and also get to avoid ridiculous "core" units. You also have the chance to get a second science major like Mathematics or Physics.
How much WAM would I roughly need to transfer from Comp Sci to the second one you mentioned? No cores is heaps good, I don't see how the maths we're forced to do atm will help me.

parad0xica

HSC
N/A
UTS only has an IT degree and ICT engineering degrees, no computer science degree.

Go for UNSW. It's the top uni for comp science, do a quick google and you'll find others agree.
Can you explain why you think this? I want your opinion, not what someone else believes.

Kolmias

HSC
UNSW is the best uni because the BoSers say so.

"Hey, I want to study a PhD in Aquatic Basket Weaving. What uni is the best?"

"Go to UNSW"

"my brother's friend's cousin's dog studied engineering at UNSW and it was good"

"Cheers guys. I think I'm going to go to UNSW"

And so the vicious cycle continues. Swarms of UNSW drones swarming BoS.

In all seriousness, UNSW does have the best rep for comp sci. Just go to the uni which you think suits you the best. The best uni is different for every person. Don't give a shit about rep. A D average student from the University of Bunyip is going to beat a P average student from the University of Melbourne.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)