USYD vs UTS for Comp Science (1 Viewer)

HSCExposed

HSC
So I'm looking to do a Comp Science/Commerce degree however I do not have the ATAR to do a combined degree so I'm thinking of doing Comp Science and then transfer into a double degree. I have appled for Usyd Comp Science and Technology course not the advanced stream and received an offer. I am now second guessing if I really want to do this course. I have a passion for computers and code however I read many threads saying that the maths is really heavy and I think I'm not going to survive cause I did 2 unit maths only. I really don't know what to do now, I am really interested in Commerce though so I'll stick with that. I don't know if I should reapply for UTS IT or something since it's more relaxed and less math (there's one more offer round) or just continue and accept the BCST offer I received from Usyd. Thoughts? Also, anyone doing BCST at Usyd? How is it? Also, is it possible for me to survive with only 2 unit maths?

D94

HSC
N/A
I don't think the maths is really heavy, but rather the logic that stems from one's ability in maths is key to a solid computer science student.

HSCExposed

HSC
I don't think the maths is really heavy, but rather the logic that stems from one's ability in maths is key to a solid computer science student.
Well I've heard it's pretty maths heavy like 4u+

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Difficulty and content are different, some of the 4U topics themselves actually aren't that hard. Just because you are learning 4U content, doesnt mean that it will be as difficult as 4U.

UTS don't have Comp Science and none of the courses are directly comparable. IIRC, the Usyd course has two streams (CS + IS). The UTS BScIT would probably be closer to IS, but it does offer technical majors so is probably somewhere between those two depending on what major you pick.

Flop21

HSC
The math will be tough. You should be prepared to do it every day. I can say I passed math this sem only doing 2u (I did a 3u bridging course though). But I only just passed (didn't do it every day). I go to UNSW btw. One math course down, another to go and discrete math.

Math is always just more math. Difficulty increases a tiny bit, but it's just what you've been doing all your life including in 2u. Learning a new thing each day. I guess it's technically 4u+ since it's university level math, but only 3u is assumed.

UTS don't have a comp sci degree, they have a unique software engineering degree, the user Astroman does that, so you can look at his past posts or ask him about it.

HSCExposed

HSC
The math will be tough. You should be prepared to do it every day. I can say I passed math this sem only doing 2u (I did a 3u bridging course though). But I only just passed (didn't do it every day). I go to UNSW btw. One math course down, another to go and discrete math.

Math is always just more math. Difficulty increases a tiny bit, but it's just what you've been doing all your life including in 2u. Learning a new thing each day. I guess it's technically 4u+ since it's university level math, but only 3u is assumed.

UTS don't have a comp sci degree, they have a unique software engineering degree, the user Astroman does that, so you can look at his past posts or ask him about it.
Thanks, I'd love to go UNSW since I heard that it's simply the best. I'm really confused right now, I don't know whether to go Usyd and do Comp Science and transfer into a combined degree with commerce since I love business and finance or take my offer of doing Soft Engo and Comm and Macq

D94

HSC
N/A
Well I've heard it's pretty maths heavy like 4u+
It's higher education, not high school. Expect it to be harder overall, not just in maths. It's not a maths heavy degree - there are 2 maths courses out of 24 in total at UNSW. Both only assume 3 unit knowledge, which isn't that much difficult than 2 unit in the topics covered in the course. Sure there may be 4 unit topics, but not all are difficult. There are some 2 unit topics covered which have quite challenging questions. I have no doubt that the actual Computer Science courses will be overall more difficult at all unis mentioned.

Again, it's higher education; it's not supposed to be easy, but 'survival' is dependent on how much work/effort you put in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)