USYD Normal vs Advanced Math Units (1 Viewer)

Advanced or normal math units for computer science (advanced)

• Normal (MATH1001, MATH1002)

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Advanced(MATH1901, MATH1902)

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ahmed _BD

HSC
Hey y'all,
So I've enrolled into computer science at USYD, and I'm stuck between whether I should do the normal or advanced maths units recommended for me (MATH1901, MATH1902 vs MATH1001, MATH1002).

I studied both 3u and 4u last year for HSC and band 6'ed both of 'em.

Will the extra effort of doing the advanced units really aid me in extending my knowledge of computer science and programming, or is it ok to just drop them? more precisely, will I have to put in a lot more hard work if I opt for advanced? and around how much more than normal units?
Any, and I mean ANY help/input is appreciated, as long as you are familiar with any of the above math units :)

cheers

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Personally if I were capable I would opt for the more challenging courses. If you can do it, would you opt for 3U Maths or for General Maths, tempted by the relative ease of the latter? In life, would you always seek the path of least resistance?

Ahmed _BD

HSC
P.S if you ain't bothered too much (I feel ya dw), there's the poll right there for ya ;)
explanations preferred though of course.
thanks

Ahmed _BD

HSC
Personally if I were capable I would opt for the more challenging courses. If you can do it, would you opt for 3U Maths or for General Maths, tempted by the relative ease of the latter? In life, would you always seek the path of least resistance?
Geez, when you put it that way, yh.

But thing is, if it doesn't help me with my programming skills (in computer science stream (advanced) btw), then I'm not too keen to do it, even if I'm capable.

sida1049

HSC
Geez, when you put it that way, yh.

But thing is, if it doesn't help me with my programming skills (in computer science stream (advanced) btw), then I'm not too keen to do it, even if I'm capable.
All the cool computer science dudes take advanced.

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Hey y'all,
So I've enrolled into computer science at USYD, and I'm stuck between whether I should do the normal or advanced maths units recommended for me (MATH1901, MATH1902 vs MATH1001, MATH1002).

I studied both 3u and 4u last year for HSC and band 6'ed both of 'em.

Will the extra effort of doing the advanced units really aid me in extending my knowledge of computer science and programming, or is it ok to just drop them? more precisely, will I have to put in a lot more hard work if I opt for advanced? and around how much more than normal units?
Any, and I mean ANY help/input is appreciated, as long as you are familiar with any of the above math units :)

cheers
You're a capable maths student who got 2 e4s, might as well keep being a top student. Your employers will be more impressed you did the advanced units rather than settling for lower ones.

Ahmed _BD

HSC
Your employers will be more impressed you did the advanced units rather than settling for lower ones.
I don't plan to work for any employer. Developing my own applications/ opening up my own businesses (online/software) are what's on my mind. So that nullifies this reason.

sida1049

HSC
I don't plan to work for any employer. Developing my own applications/ opening up my own businesses (online/software) are what's on my mind. So that nullifies this reason.
If that's the case, wouldn't it be in your best interests to broaden your mathematical knowledge as a means for independent creativity and problem solving rather than inhibiting it?

Ahmed _BD

HSC
If that's the case, wouldn't it be in your best interests to broaden your mathematical knowledge as a means for independent creativity and problem solving rather than inhibiting it?
Ok you got me there lol. Seems logical, but I must say, I'd use the extra time to enhance on my programming skills, which I can argue is even more advantageous for me
Thanks for the insight though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)