Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Flop21
  • 1 Post By Mathew587

Thread: Change my Software Engineering degree or transfer to UNSW ??

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    20
    Rep Power
    1

    Change my Software Engineering degree or transfer to UNSW ??

    Hi, I am doing software engineering at macq university and I was thinking of changing degrees because the engineering program/units are mostly focused on mechanical and Electronics side which I am not interested in. The degrees I could change to are Bachelor of IT or Bachelor of Science majoring in software (they have similar units to computer science like in other unis, units such as fundamentals of CS, software engineering, discrete maths, algorithms and data structures etc).

    What would be I better choice for me as I really enjoy programming and do a lot of side work stuff on my own and wish to work as a software engineer for IT companies (mainly Google).



    1. Should I just change to an IT or Science degree or stick with software engineering as that will land me the job I am after?

    2. Or should I try to transfer to UNSW to do computer science or software engineering degree as I heard it is much better in terms of teaching aspects and employment (a lot of graduates have went into jobs at Google).

    3. I need to know if their software engineering program is the same as macq which has some mechanical stuff or is it just based on software.

    4. UNSW have a lot of common units with my first year so if I transfer will I be able to gain credit for the units I did and just continue on?

    I am only in my first year and semester 1, just want to know what would be better for me from someone who have studied the same field or is working in the industry.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Supreme Member Flop21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,850
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Change my Software Engineering degree or transfer to UNSW ??

    Come to UNSW, trust me. We don't have to do mechanical stuff or elect stuff. Plus our community is much larger and stronger than MQ - which means a lot / can also be better for finding a job/internships etc.

    You can google UNSW software engineering / UNSW computer science for their degree structure. As far as I know, there's no mechanical stuff in the SENG degree. They have ENG subjects, but they're focused on software.

    https://www.engineering.unsw.edu.au/...re-engineering

    https://www.engineering.unsw.edu.au/...mputer-science

    Many people choose Computer Science over Software Engineering, since at UNSW it's very similar except computer science doesn't have a compulsory fourth year, and less subjects you are required to do (i.e. more electives). Basically SENG has to do a bit more math + software engineering workshops, as you can see from the above 2 links.
    2015 HSC: English Adv, Mathematics, Business Studies, Biology, Multimedia.

    HSC Biology Flashcards

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    20
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Change my Software Engineering degree or transfer to UNSW ??

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop21 View Post
    Come to UNSW, trust me. We don't have to do mechanical stuff or elect stuff. Plus our community is much larger and stronger than MQ - which means a lot / can also be better for finding a job/internships etc.

    You can google UNSW software engineering / UNSW computer science for their degree structure. As far as I know, there's no mechanical stuff in the SENG degree. They have ENG subjects, but they're focused on software.

    https://www.engineering.unsw.edu.au/...re-engineering

    https://www.engineering.unsw.edu.au/...mputer-science

    Many people choose Computer Science over Software Engineering, since at UNSW it's very similar except computer science doesn't have a compulsory fourth year, and less subjects you are required to do (i.e. more electives). Basically SENG has to do a bit more math + software engineering workshops, as you can see from the above 2 links.
    Hey, what year are you currently on and have you been offered any internships yet?

    So the software engineering units/workshops are software based units and there mostly coding?

    I would transfer but I won't be able to till I finish the whole year at MQ. The comp units seem to be similar but I haven't done any maths yet but I will do discrete maths next semester. If I was able to transfer will I get credit for all the units I did and so I won't need to redo them?

    I am not sure if CS of SE would be best for me, CS doesn't seem to have any software related units only the fundamentals in first year, is it possible to have some software engineering units if I went with CS

    Thanks for your reply and the sources.

  4. #4
    listening to tapes Squar3root's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    HSC
    2017
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    welcome to ur tape
    Posts
    4,830
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Change my Software Engineering degree or transfer to UNSW ??

    1. Comp and software unita are very similar. Wont make a huge difference
    2.as long as you have a degree, its all good.
    3. No its purely computing courses and some electric ones
    4. You mighy not. Only credit transfers that are guaranteed approval are from go8 unis
    MX1 Notes | http://tinyurl.com/freeMX1notes
    B Engineering [Mechatronics] @UNSW

  5. #5
    Supreme Member Flop21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,850
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Change my Software Engineering degree or transfer to UNSW ??

    Quote Originally Posted by zoogk0s View Post
    Hey, what year are you currently on and have you been offered any internships yet?

    So the software engineering units/workshops are software based units and there mostly coding?

    I would transfer but I won't be able to till I finish the whole year at MQ. The comp units seem to be similar but I haven't done any maths yet but I will do discrete maths next semester. If I was able to transfer will I get credit for all the units I did and so I won't need to redo them?

    I am not sure if CS of SE would be best for me, CS doesn't seem to have any software related units only the fundamentals in first year, is it possible to have some software engineering units if I went with CS

    Thanks for your reply and the sources.
    What are software engineering units? You're talking about the software engineering workshops right? Apparently they're useless anyway... so who cares.

    You're saying you want more software/coding, that's like any course with a "COMP". And computer science lets you choose more COMP courses than SENG.

    Up to you dude, but I heard MQ is shit. Their computing community is shit too. No offense. But like others have said, if you're happy, a degree is a degree you'll be fine.
    Mathew587 likes this.
    2015 HSC: English Adv, Mathematics, Business Studies, Biology, Multimedia.

    HSC Biology Flashcards

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    20
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Change my Software Engineering degree or transfer to UNSW ??

    So the only difference is Software engineering have SENG units and is one year extra(honours) and CS have so much free space in year 2 and 3 and I will probably have no idea what to choose.

    As I have read for the SENG workshops, they basically just team group work working on some sort of projects.

  7. #7
    Supreme Member Flop21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,850
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Change my Software Engineering degree or transfer to UNSW ??

    Quote Originally Posted by zoogk0s View Post
    So the only difference is Software engineering have SENG units and is one year extra(honours) and CS have so much free space in year 2 and 3 and I will probably have no idea what to choose.

    As I have read for the SENG workshops, they basically just team group work working on some sort of projects.
    Yeah exactly. It looks like SENG have to do an extra subject of math too (finite/stats). You're locked into doing some CS subjects too, which you might do anyway or you might not.

    But SENG might be fine for you. If you want to come out with a bachelor of engineering (which means you're required to do 60 days of industrial training too), instead of a bachelor of science , then go for SENG. Also 4 years isn't too bad.

    But I know a lot of people that do CS (3 years) in 4 years because they do 3 subjects a semester (which is much more doable than the regular 4 subjects a semester). Which is nice.

    There's really no right answer, they both lead to the same jobs.


    Also I heard MQ general facilities are better, so they have that going for them lol.


    Anyway, good luck!!
    2015 HSC: English Adv, Mathematics, Business Studies, Biology, Multimedia.

    HSC Biology Flashcards

  8. #8
    Member Mathew587's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    284
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Change my Software Engineering degree or transfer to UNSW ??

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop21 View Post
    Up to you dude, but I heard MQ is shit. Their computing community is shit too. No offense. But like others have said, if you're happy, a degree is a degree you'll be fine.
    hahahaha whatta savage flop
    keepLooking likes this.
    HSC 2017- 90.85
    Goal: get 90s in all subjects... rip
    English Adv: 85
    Math Adv: 89
    Biology: 86
    Chemistry: 81
    Economics: 86
    Business Stud: 91

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •