Monash (Melb) Med (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hey, did anyone else apply for and get offered an interview at Monash?

And is anyone here able to tell me about Monash? Like its reputation, campus size, ease of navigation, expenses et cetera?

Thanks a plenty!

sandydee

yep...i got offered an interview....

ive done just a little research, and the cost of living on campus varies from about $250-$380...something like that.

as for monash' location, clayton is apparently somewhat 40mins from melbourne city (correct me if im wrong), so as for the day of the interview, my taxi fare's gonna cost me :(

well that's all i know thus far

well...good luck

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yeah, I'm very worried about flying there and back in a day. I'd have to manipulate the airlines supremely to get everything working. 40 minuntes from Melbourne city you say? What about their domestic airport? Surely that isn't in the city! :D

But yeah...cabcharge! Good luck to you too, and everyone else. :)

loser

scene police
Have you received the exact date/time yet? Its been about 3 weeks, so I was just wondering if mine had been lost in the mail or something.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
yeah im beginning to worry too...maybe i should ring them up....

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I just got mine in the mail today, so I would expect you would all get yours too. Of course, I asked for a very specific time due to difficult circumstances (ie overseas travel). Anyway, you'll have them by Monday. :)

AK Gumbi

Not a M-O-Derator
HSC
Hey u know when it says that u r "required to obtain a study score of at least 30 in English and Chemistry", what mark is that equal to in the HSC?
Thanks

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by AK Gumbi
Hey u know when it says that u r "required to obtain a study score of at least 30 in English and Chemistry", what mark is that equal to in the HSC?
Thanks

In the VCE ( Victoria's version of the HSC) the maximum score of each subject is out of 50 so when converting it to the HSC you would need
HSC mark of 60/100 in English
HSC mark of 60/100 in Chemistry

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Wow...that's so...low?

Anyway, who has done their interview yet? Mine is on 7 Jan, the day after I return to Australia...

sandydee

so has anyone had their interview yet? i had mine on monday the 28 Nov (early interview) and found it pretty ok...except for the part where i had to detechnalise the word...yuck

well good luck everyone

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Hey, did anyone else apply for and get offered an interview at Monash?

Hey Lex i just notice that u didn't do Chemistry and your applying for Monash which requires Chemistry as a prerequisites. So in the event that you do get accepted wouldn't you get rejected as chem is required ???

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by melbournian
Lexicographer, Melb airport is at Tullamarine, the opposite direction to Clayton.

It will be a pretty expensive Taxi fair, considering you will go past every single toll point in Melbourne, which is about 10 (as well as the Airport loading fee).
In that case how much time should I allow for travel between the terminal and the campus?
Originally posted by sandydee
except for the part where i had to detechnalise the word...yuck
Please explain? (Hanson)
Originally posted by da_best
Hey Lex i just notice that u didn't do Chemistry and your applying for Monash which requires Chemistry as a prerequisites. So in the event that you do get accepted wouldn't you get rejected as chem is required ???
No, I can bridge it. I also have an excellent record in junior and intermediate chemistry cores (Not to mention an HD in the Aust Chem Quiz) as well as testimony from my school that I am of sufficient ability in Chemistry. I just need to do the bridge and I'm fine. [much relief there] :)

Last edited:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
So... with an interview beginning at 1400 I'll probably want to be in the University by 1300, meaning arrival by about 1100... shit. I wonder what time I'll get home...?

sandydee

actually....it took me an hour to get to the campus from the airport, and this was in peak hour traffic. once in the uni, i got reallly lost so it took me 20 minutes to get to the right building. as for the "detechnalise a word" part, thats what they call the section where ur given a scientific word, and your asked to explain it to the interviewers, assuming theyre lay people....

the best thing you can do is probably just catch the shuttle bus from mannix college, which is behind the uni, and this takes you straight to the airport. it only costs $22, as opposed to the $75 i paid by taxi. the last shuttle bus leaves at 5:40pm so i dont know how this fits in with ur schedule.

Excuse the essay....but i hope it helped.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Ooh! The shuttle! I forgot about that! Thank you much plenty, for both the reminder and the detechnicalisation warning. I'm not used to explaining things nicely anymore. Do they give you a definition to dumb down, or do you need to know the word?

AK Gumbi

Not a M-O-Derator
HSC
For the detech part, they gave me a short scientific passage and i had to explain it in simple terms.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Excellent, my lexicophilia will come in handy. :D

Again, thanks guys. You've really saved me from a royal cock-up, what with being overseas and completely unprepared and all.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
:p I'd ask Minai to ban your ass

edit: the Americanism was used for effect. I doubt he'll ban your donkey ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)