Why Monash (1 Viewer)

eddy11

HSC
Gday,
i'm very interested in doing one of the courses here that no one else seems to offer (B Behavioural Neuroscience). But my parents aren't to happy about me living in melbourne (i live 4.5 (driving) hours north of sydney) due to the long distance meaning i'l be home less. Getting to the point of the question, what are some pros and cons to living in melboure when compared to say sydney or newcastle (not considering distance home). Ive never really been to melbourne but ive been to sydney and i hate it, how much better is melbourne? Whats the cost of living lke, and whats the uni life like down there (course in question on clayton campus). Thanks in advance for any help.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
This is very irrelvant, but I'm also considering to move down to Melbourne so that I can study at Monash. :)

lollyluu

HSC
haha im from melbourne and i want to study in sydney!? :D melbourne is very boring!

Mooshelle

HSC
ain't no way melbourne is more boring! im from melbourne and im very much "for" melbourne and more... "against" sydney.
melbourne is alot more artistic/sporty/cultural in general with its infamous cafe culture. monash, however, is not in the cbd where most of this "beauty" is. it is out in a suburb called clayton - but its massive. as they say its like a "suburb" itself with its own postcode :p
basically i wanna go to monash sooo bad - im moving interstate last option
they have awesome student groups (random silly example - chocolate eaters group), brilliant gym/sport facilities, friendly people, good atmosphere... i duno, it floats my boat!

(ps. to repeat: melbourne over sydney ANYYYYY day (and yes i hvae been to sydney))

ugotmegood

HSC
Well I have heard that their are some very cheap airfares from Melbourne to Newcastle... no joke.
Melbourne is very nice. It is a city, yes, but it is filled with so much culture and fun.
The music scene is amazing there - lots of jazz to go to.
Essentially, it is a much nicer city than Sydney in that it is cleaner and the people are nicer.
But family come first.
In the end it isn't up to your parents, it is up to you.
I hope you are happy with whatever you choose :)
x

taikonaut

HSC
i've only been to sydney once and I think melbourne is 10x better. having said that....

clayton is a pretty dead suburb - there's really not that much to do other than stay within the uni itself which does cater pretty well for everything. sometimes i envy those who go to the uni's in the city (e.g. unimelb, rmit...etc) - they just have so many things to do during those 1-2 hours breaks where it'd be pointless to go home.

as for cost of living and all that. its reasonable, i'd say comparable or slightly less than syd. I stay about 10 minutes walk away from campus and I share with some students. that distance from uni, you'd be looking at 120-200 a week for rent depending on what your standards are + food, utilities and net. If you live on campus I think *don't quote me on this* but I think its 300 or around there including meals and everything. I hear theres some sort of waiting list or something because its pretty popular. its up to you if your the on-campus type of person but from what I hear its definitely more fun then living in a shared house.

clayton has lots of international students - i'd say 30-40% which isn't a bad thing or anything, just gives you a bit of an idea of what the atmosphere is like.

that whole distance thing is a bit of an issue. I dun reallly have any advice to give on that - i guess it depends on how much you want to do the degree at monash. i think it'll be a good life experience if you do decide to come.

good luck with everything

Ali -

HSC
N/A
Melbourne is fantastic.

Famous for its arts&culture/dining/gardens/sport.

Living in Melbourne

below link may assist re: costs

Cost of living

Good luck with your course. And 'if' you choose to do so, "Welcome to Melbourne".

@matthew

HSC
lollyluu said:
haha im from melbourne and i want to study in sydney!? :D melbourne is very boring!
You haven't spent much time in Melbourne then?

Cafe's, bars, lots of night spots. But then Sydney has night clubs/bars (but not so much on the cafe's)

However if you want sports, comedy, theatre there is no other choice than Melbourne. Just go for a walk around the city by yourself for a day or two. Its brilliant.

Edit: I should probs talk about Monash seeing as I am a Monash student.

Monash is huge, well the Clayton campus is. There is no need to leave the campus for most things. But there isn't so much in the ways of entertainment there, as Clayton is an industrial area. You ca always take a 20min bus trip to Chadstone if you feel like shopping.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)