2009 Monash Internal Transfers (1 Viewer)

Mookiez

HSC
Hi All,

Haven't posted on this since VCE, which was just over a year ago for me. Since then I have been studying a Bachelor of Business Information Systems (involved in the Industry Based Learning scholarship program, feel free to PM me if you're interested in this course and want to know more).

Anyway, as stated in the title... this thread is for all of those students who didn't get into the course they wanted first off, and have applied to transfer.

Just post a brief description of what you've been up to since finishing VCE, and what you're hoping to transfer into, or have already been accepted into.

I'm making this thread today as I found out a couple of hours ago that my transfer was accepted. Hopefully this will allow some of us to make friends before Orientation day.

"Congratulations!

I am pleased to inform you that you have been offered a Round 1 CSP place in the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Laws degree (Course code: 0080) in the Faculty of Law commencing in Semester One, 2009. "

HSC
oh wow that's great! Good on you

I tried to transfer from Melb uni BCom to Monash Uni BCom/LLB in 2005

I had a 78% average across my first year subjects...and I got rejected! >.<

Totally set me back

Now I have finished my BCom degree (74.3% average), have two years full time work experience (including Graduate Program experience) and am applying for the Monash LLB.

Chances are that I will get rejected again!

So I am going to get mid year entry into the Monash JD

Well, there's my rant lol ;) ...all good though

What average did you achieve for your internal transfer?

Arts/Law is a very good combo!

Mookiez

HSC
Oh don't worry too much. Although competition is fierce, the fact that you have had work experience in the real world is definitely a plus. I know that Monash, like many other universities, enjoys having mature-age students in their courses for degrees such as Law and Medicine.

I am glad to hear that you haven't given up, and are applying for the JD Midyr intake! How does that work? Do you need to sit a test or go for an interview? I've heard at Melbourne that any transfers into their Law degree, regardless of whether or not you're currently studying Law requires you to sit an written exam.

My average wasn't the best, but I suppose it was just enough. I managed to score 80% across all my first year subjects.

Don't give up hope yet, I've heard in previous years averages ranging from 72%-76% have been sufficient to gain entry into LLB. That and you still have 2nd and 3rd round offers.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
hiphoppresident said:
I tried to transfer from Melb uni BCom to Monash Uni BCom/LLB in 2005

I had a 78% average across my first year subjects...and I got rejected! >.<
Damn, that's rough. I would've thought that 78% gave you a pretty decent chance for a transfer. They must've had a lot of internal applicants that year. Maybe a lot of them were trying to get in before they started phasing out the LLB in 2007?

HSC
RogueAcademic said:
Damn, that's rough. I would've thought that 78% gave you a pretty decent chance for a transfer. They must've had a lot of internal applicants that year. Maybe a lot of them were trying to get in before they started phasing out the LLB in 2007?
haha - yea...I believe it was because I was an external rather than an internal transfer...I think they give priority to Monash students

Doesn't matter - I'll find out on Tuesday if I get in the LLB, either way I'm applying for the JD and should get in

I'll let ya know if I am accepted in the LLB next week lol, highly doubt it though

Catcha,

HipHop

HSC
Mookiez said:
I am glad to hear that you haven't given up, and are applying for the JD Midyr intake! How does that work? Do you need to sit a test or go for an interview?
Well I need to fill out the application form, my CV and a copy of my grades at undergrad level

I will only be asked to attend an interview if I am a 'borderline' case, that is, if my grades are not up to the mark.

Melbourne JD - you have to sit the LSAT and there is no mid year intake

There is no Melbourne LLB anymore, only Melbourne JD

:)

HipHop

HSC
hey dudes,

I got the offer for Monash LLB (CSP)

so i am not applying for the JD

So, Mookiez, I guess I'll see ya there dude...I'm getting my monash pack in the mail so yea should catch up at Orientation

PM me

HipHop

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
hey dudes,

so i am not applying for the JD

So, Mookiez, I guess I'll see ya there dude...I'm getting my monash pack in the mail so yea should catch up at Orientation

PM me

HipHop
Congrats! You must be stoked right now.

HSC
Congrats! You must be stoked right now.
yea mate, i am pretty happy, didn't expect it

I just found out about this "bored of studies" website/forum a couple of weeks ago...I guess It'll come in handy throughout uni

Thanks for your input Rogue, you are quite an active contributor on this forum.

Top stuff

HipHop

Mookiez

HSC
hey dudes,

HipHop
Congratulations! =]

hey dudes,

PM me

HipHop
Yeah, we will definitely meet up at orientation. When is your enrolment session? Mine is tomorrow, but I have a friend who also received an external transfer from deakin, and theirs is sometime next week.

Let me know, maybe I'll even see you tomorrow! haha

Last edited:

bregitta

Red is for Rad
HSC
I applied for a transfer into architecture in September and was rejected a few weeks ago. I'm annoyed that I now have nothing to apply for until mid year, and even then I don't really know what I want to do. Couldn't they have told me I didn't fulfill the criteria earlier?!
Why did you transfer from BIS, OP? I almost transferred into that mid 07, but didn't want to begin something midyear and lose the chance of industry placements.

Mookiez

HSC
I applied for a transfer into architecture in September and was rejected a few weeks ago. I'm annoyed that I now have nothing to apply for until mid year, and even then I don't really know what I want to do. Couldn't they have told me I didn't fulfill the criteria earlier?!
For your next application, which I'm guessing is Midyr. I think you should apply for a couple of things that you enjoy, so maybe apply for Architechture again, whilst also applying for another degree you're interested in pursuing. There's no rule against how many application forms you can lodge, but it should be noted that if successful, they will only allocate you one or two places (to ensure there is a reasonable number of placements for other applicants)

Why did you transfer from BIS, OP? I almost transferred into that mid 07, but didn't want to begin something midyear and lose the chance of industry placements.
I'm not too sure what OP stands for, is it something to do with IBL (Industry based learning?). In any case, after studying it for a year (first year is mainly pure IT, you're enrolled with computer system and software engineering students), I found I wasn't all too interested. First year is VERY VERY dry, and extremely boring. It will definitely test your mental concentration, unless you enjoy IT. However, I have heard that it gets better in the latter years.

In fact I wasn't too sure whether I wanted to transfer from BIS, as I loved the prospect of the IBL program. Working for 6mths in 2nd and 3rd yr, seemed so beneficial as a head-start to a career. I guess it really comes down to what you want to do for the rest of your life. I think that for me, personally, being a Business Analyst does not seem as intriguing or mentally stimulating as Law.

If I could go back in time, I would definitely complete the BIS program, work for a few years and then later study Law postgrad if thats where my interest lies.

I hope this helps, =)

Last edited:

Mookiez

HSC
Haha thanks for that Rogue, although I'm an ex-IT student I don't seem to be very knowledgable on internet abbreviations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)