Do you need a laptop?? (1 Viewer)

gupta90

HSC
Hey Im doing BioMed/ENG at Monash in 2009

Anyway a couple of friends have bought laptops because they said that you write notes in the lectures with them and for general use for work relating to uni.

I was wondering if its necessary to buy a laptop, and also what can you use it for?

BigDk

HSC
yes u need a laptop. fuken hell. to take to uni and read lecture notes and type up assignments.

CatOnAHorse

HSC
hmm coming from someone in yr 8 who's never been to uni, clearly insightful.

well it depends really on what u want to do with it. My brother has been to uni for several years now doing a sport science and medical degree and has never really needed to use it. Some people just prefer it (like even some people at my school [uber nerds if u gotta use it at school if u ask me]) because it allows u to take notes faster than if you would if you were just writing.

But really they're not needed. I can't think of a time when my bro has really needed to take it. I even did some lectures at sydney uni designed to help boost ur UAI and i really don't think it's something u have to have.

I'd say if it's something ur worried about with money and stuff don't worry about getting one now and see what ur course is like first. Then if u think u wanna use one get one later.

gupta90

HSC
hmm coming from someone in yr 8 who's never been to uni, clearly insightful.

well it depends really on what u want to do with it. My brother has been to uni for several years now doing a sport science and medical degree and has never really needed to use it. Some people just prefer it (like even some people at my school [uber nerds if u gotta use it at school if u ask me]) because it allows u to take notes faster than if you would if you were just writing.

But really they're not needed. I can't think of a time when my bro has really needed to take it. I even did some lectures at sydney uni designed to help boost ur UAI and i really don't think it's something u have to have.

I'd say if it's something ur worried about with money and stuff don't worry about getting one now and see what ur course is like first. Then if u think u wanna use one get one later.
Thank you.

Mookiez

HSC
One important thing to point out is that you will be studying Engineering. Whilst it may be beneficial to take notes on a laptop in Biomed (a few of my friends do this), in Engineering there will be a lot of formulae taken so writing these notes is, as you can imagine, far more practical.

I studied BIS (which is basically IT combined with Business) last year, and although I took my laptop with me on a daily basis it was not needed. Monash has wireless internet, so often you will find yourself being distracted and surfing the net throughout lectures, as opposed to being the diligent student which takes note of everything the lecturer says.

A laptop is REALLY great for finishing assignments at university, for two main reasons. One, you can seek guidance from your fellow students. Two, a lot of the time computers are either taken, or not easily accessible.

As CatOnAHorse stated, laptops are not a requirement for university life, and by no means will you be disadvantaged in any way for not owning one (I believe the cons and pro's of owning a laptop cancel each other out).

It would be most beneficial to you try uni life without a laptop and if you feel in anyway disadvantaged, then purchase one. If money is an issue, I believe there are several companies that loan laptops for $15 a week or so, so trialing this would be a safe option in ascertaining whether it is a viable option for you.

Hope this helps =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)