About Monash/campuses (1 Viewer)

Andi0390

HSC
Hi,
I am looking to transfer universities and Monash is one the ones I am interested in because of its Melbourne location.

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me a bit about the uni. I noticed that the main campus is a fair way from the central area of Melbourne, so what is it like in the area surrounding campus? Is it sort of studenty? Are there many shops or places to go out? Much of an arty scene?

Also, I noticed that BA is offered at both Clayton and Caulfield. Clayton has a higher UAI but is also further away from the city, both campuses offer the majors that I want to do - but I was wondering which is better? Why is Caulfield less 'desireable' (lower UAI)?

Anyway, any info would be good.

Andi

hotdimsim

HSC
Monash's largest (and major) campus is the one in clayton, and as you said it is pretty far removed from the main suburbia. Its flanked on one side by the princess highway, on another by blackburn road (a major, busy arterial) and on another by the csiro. Its a pretty 'industrial' area however, the majority of its neighbours are houses in the surrounding area. Chadstone shopping centre (massive, one of the largest in southern hemisphere) is about a 5 min drive away so you can go catch a movie/shop etc. However, as the area isnt very metropolitan (read: theres nothing around the campus), students tend to stick on campus to get there studenty feel.
Theres obviously all the stuff you'd expect on a uni campus, like a bar, cheap food, lots of eateries/cafe's etc. and the student union and societies are pretty frequently having bbq's, or meetings etc. Theres also green week, in sem 2 (google it)
There seems to be a pretty well developed arty scene, and its seems progressive and 'fringe,' especially with some of the societies. (ie it has a large theatre group, performing arts society etc you name it they have it. The arts society itself has the reputation as being the hardest party people (along with eng)

Caulfield has a lower uai purely because ppl want to go to clayton, mainly because of the aforementioned reasons. Also, the amount of majors offered at caulfield are lower than clayton, as its a smaller campus. Clayton is massive, and more 'uni' feel to it. Caulfield is smaller and more humble (smaller student numbers, less area etc)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)