Engineering/Commerce (1 Viewer)

kitty123

HSC
Anyone know anything about this course at melb uni, coz i think i might be doing it.
i generally don't like commerce that much (i don't absolutely hate it), but since ppl say its better to do a double degree instead of a single one and i also heard that engineering/commerce and engineering/law are really good fields + awesome money makers...
so anywayzz before i start the course and drop out, i'd like to know if anyone knows anything about this...
Thank you

tripod

HSC
yer. i do com/eng

engineering currently sucks like hell (i'm second year), chemical engineering, i absolutely hate it...mainly because we're not even doing anything related to chemistry. it's all math and physics...something i avoided during vce...maybe i shoulda done com/law.

anyhow. for any eng the math is compulsory, and there are heapsa compulsory commerce subjects first and second year, i think a total of 5. but commerce is great. i love it, always my main objective, + with double degree you get more job opportunities and money.

kitty123

HSC
Hey thanks for the reply... I am kinda different than you actually.. i love maths and physics but don't really like commerce coz commerce is like read read read read read.......... know what i mean? i just fall asleep when i have to read huge boring books...... That's why i am kind of reconsidering doing commerce

turtleface

HSC
Just do Engineering by itself then. Its got much better job opportunities than a Science majoring in maths.

double degrees are only useful if
1. you do it with law
2. the employers you apply for jobs with are stupid
or
3. you'd like to give the uni's extra revenue

If you like maths and consider commerce, then Finance or Actuarial or Econometrics are the most maths based and you may like them.

+ with double degree you get more job opportunities and money.
er...no.

Maybe if you apply for some dodgy place, but if you go for a reputable Engineering consulting firm I doubt double degree will get you more money or opportunities.

In fact, I think its the opposite as it takes longer, and you pass up on 2 years of salary/experience.

2 years of experience is better than a Commerce degree if you work as an engineer

Opportunity cost mate.

Last edited:

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
Honestly, if you're in it for the money don't do engineering. This is because unless you are extremely talented, your lack of interest will kill your scores to the point where you'll be be failing/scraping passes at best. I'm not exagerrating, many engineering subjects aren't like those from other faculties in that if you don't actually understand the material at all, you'll fail.

If you like maths but don't really like commerce then just combine engineering with science and major in maths.

IMO you should do what you are most interested in. It's very difficult to force your way through a subject which bores you, let alone an entire course.

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
Are you like the most ignorant dumbass there is?

I don't know why you like me so much that you track every post I make but yes I do engineering. My comments about needing an interest to succeed in engineering only applies to those disciplines which require talent, so I guess that doesn't apply to your branch of engineering because clearly, an idiot like you wouldn't be able to handle anything which requires any amount of talent.

If your major motivation for doing engineering is money then that's the wrong track to head down. Because you will find it to be absolute hell to get through the course. That is sound advice. Your senseless comment suggests that the thread starter should take engineering simply because of the money (even if they don't have an interest in it) and I as I pointed out, only a retard would suggest doing that. But like I said before, this only applies to disciplines which require talent so such a comment probably doesn't apply to you.

turtleface

HSC
Do u even do engineering?

Senior engys make over 250K (depending major off course)
I think someone senior in anything makes over 250K.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
kitty123 said:
Hey thanks for the reply... I am kinda different than you actually.. i love maths and physics but don't really like commerce coz commerce is like read read read read read.......... know what i mean? i just fall asleep when i have to read huge boring books...... That's why i am kind of reconsidering doing commerce
Depends on what Commerce major you want to do. If it was something like econometrics, yes you'll be doing case studies, but you'll spend just as much time trying to apply models to fit these case studies, so less reading than you might anticipate.

Note also that having a commerce degree when working in the engineering sector would be useful as commerce subjects tend to teach more skills about managing people than any other degree (from what I've been told anyway), and as such it'll help you get fast promotion to manage other engineers on various projects.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
This thread is hilarious

lol ur disseplin iz g33kir dan mein!!

eyel urn 250k urlier than u becuz i completed accounting subjects lolol

No, you won't, because you're stupid and someone more competent than you with a single degree will get promoted first.

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
Musk said:
\

your by far the most stupidest cunt, you need to ask around to engineers that actually fucking graduated like 10 years ago and they all say the same, "it not about the fucking grades its about the experience" because i know like 8 engineers as the same, you need a girlfriend you low life loner faggot

what major are you doing i bet its something geeky like electrical, computer or software and in that case u need the grades to prove that you can program well.
You do realise that you need to pass all/most of your subjects to be awarded a degree don't you? That's precisely why I mentioned grades. At melbourne you certainly will not pass your subjects (and hence not receive your degree) if you have no talent (ie. people like you) and/or don't have an interest in the stream of engineering that you are studying.

The whole point of my post was to illustrate how stupid it was for you to encourage the thread starter to do engineering simply because of the money. After all, if you have no interest in engineering, you certainly won't pass the subjects or receive your degree so all of that money would be out of your reach anyway. I did not say that the thread starter needs high marks to get a job but rather, that it would be waste of time for them to take an engineering course if they have no interest in it simply because they won't even get through the course. So learn to read and comprehend retard.

Oh wait, didn't you need to go to interviews just to get into your engineering course because you were too stupid to even get the sub-decent UAI required to get in directly? If so then that's pretty damn pathetic and you'd obviously be pretty stupid so I guess it comes as no suprise that you didn't even understand that the intention of my earlier post was to highlight the folly in your "z0mG engineering = money therefore pursue a career in it even if you have no interest in it" statements.

Electrical is about design dumbass, it's not all programming. FYI I don't take electrical or software and besides what makes you think they're geeky streams? Because they require you to think and actually understand concepts? I guess a moron like you can't handle anything more than sum of forces and moments is equal to zero. (Oh and I guess you'd be fairly familiar with the number zero as well.)

Last edited:

total_revolt

HSC
I take Eng/Comm and know around 30 ppl taking it at melb uni.

It is no easy course and requires a lot of effort especially for engineering. Don't expect too much free time as there is heaps of assignments and they seem like they never end. I dont like engineering and I regret having chosen it... so making the right decision in yr 12 is very important. On the other hand, there are some ppl who do prefer eng over comm. As someone said b4, if u are math/physics inclined doing a double eng/sci degree might be the way to go... and u will have heaps of guys swarming over u.

turtleface

HSC
total_revolt said:
As someone said b4, if u are math/physics inclined doing a double eng/sci degree might be the way to go... and u will have heaps of guys swarming over u.
I want chicks swarming over me thanks

kitty123

HSC
Anonymou5 said:
Honestly, if you're in it for the money don't do engineering. .
ummm... no. u got me wrong.. i am not in for the money. I know i did say money, but that's my dad feeding me stuff.. he's like yeah, do something else with engineering, that's money.

I am interested in engineering. To be honest, i have very limited knowledge of what lies beyond highschool ok? But, my friends at school, aunties and ppl keep telling me, "coz u like maths and physics, u'll like engineering"... so that's why i thought ok alright i'll do that. Unfortunately, i have no idea what engineering to pick... I'll be finishing my VCE exam in like 8 days.. and i still don't know what to pick... srsly i am helpless here.

As for commerce... I know about commerce. So thought i'll do commerce as well as a back up, just in case i feel like i hate engineering. (and also because my dad told me to... now i know ur going to say its all about what i want)

smashy

HSC
I'm considering Engineering/Commerce myself, but considering that im not 'that' into maths.. i might change to Commerce/Law or even Commerce/Arts...

Really, i dont think anyone doing yr 12 knows that they'll like the course they're choosing, or whether they'll remain in it.

3 exams left. i hope i make the right choices...

turtleface

HSC
It seems that a common theme with your ponderings is a commerce degree

you don't have to do 2 ugrad degrees if you don't like the others, just do commerce

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
i've been trying to decide between eng/comm and eng/sci as well, but im leaning towards eng/sci (computer/maths), I dunno much about commerce so i might try it first off then switch.

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
Anonymou5 said:
You do realise that you need to pass all/most of your subjects to be awarded a degree don't you? That's precisely why I mentioned grades. At melbourne you certainly will not pass your subjects (and hence not receive your degree) if you have no talent (ie. people like you) and/or don't have an interest in the stream of engineering that you are studying.

The whole point of my post was to illustrate how stupid it was for you to encourage the thread starter to do engineering simply because of the money. After all, if you have no interest in engineering, you certainly won't pass the subjects or receive your degree so all of that money would be out of your reach anyway. I did not say that the thread starter needs high marks to get a job but rather, that it would be waste of time for them to take an engineering course if they have no interest in it simply because they won't even get through the course. So learn to read and comprehend retard.

Oh wait, didn't you need to go to interviews just to get into your engineering course because you were too stupid to even get the sub-decent UAI required to get in directly? If so then that's pretty damn pathetic and you'd obviously be pretty stupid so I guess it comes as no suprise that you didn't even understand that the intention of my earlier post was to highlight the folly in your "z0mG engineering = money therefore pursue a career in it even if you have no interest in it" statements.

Electrical is about design dumbass, it's not all programming. FYI I don't take electrical or software and besides what makes you think they're geeky streams? Because they require you to think and actually understand concepts? I guess a moron like you can't handle anything more than sum of forces and moments is equal to zero. (Oh and I guess you'd be fairly familiar with the number zero as well.)

I would think any course would require some level of interest. Not just engineering. Except for some bs subjects like horiculture - don't even know what that is, maybe studying stupid plants and some shit. Law for example, I doubt many law students would enjoy studying income tax laws, etc. What kind of a knuckle head would enjoy that.
But personally, I feel that it is possible to try to develop interests in the engineering fields. Those passion wouldn't have come naturally for many people really.

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
I agree that an interest can be developed even if it is not there initially. However in most cases people who study any particular field in engineering have at least one of talent or interest. Further, people who don't have an interest in engineering at the beginning but develop a passion for it later on, tend to already be interested in things which are essential in an engineering course anyway. What it comes down to is that if someone focuses solely on money, then they will most likely not make it through to the end of the course.

As I alluded to before, engineering isn't like many other courses where you can bs your way through which is why I was against the suggestion to do engineering simply because of the money involved.

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
Anonymou5 said:
I agree that an interest can be developed even if it is not there initially. However in most cases people who study any particular field in engineering have at least one of talent or interest. Further, people who don't have an interest in engineering at the beginning but develop a passion for it later on, tend to already be interested in things which are essential in an engineering course anyway. What it comes down to is that if someone focuses solely on money, then they will most likely not make it through to the end of the course.

As I alluded to before, engineering isn't like many other courses where you can bs your way through which is why I was against the suggestion to do engineering simply because of the money involved.
I've heard that you can bs your way through arts but shit, can you do that with law and medicine?

Yeah I think most engineers would have some fasination for a particular field initially. I know I do. Anyway, I don't think engineers get high salaries. Even if some of the senior engineers get 250k, there's really few I would imagine.
I know my friend's dad has been working at telstra for 20 years, he's some kind of a chief in electronic engineering designing mobile platforms. He only get like 100k. That's not much is it for his experience and expertise.
Also, I know a few senior graduates who got jobs that only pay them 32k to start off with. One of them did eng/com (melb) and the other from RMIT doing just engineering. I doubt they got poor grades though. At least the one from melbourne uni.
I've also briefly looked at the employment income of all professions in Australia. Engineers only get 40 to 60k a year on average. Well, not sure what you guys consider as good pay but that's jack.

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
In terms of the course alone (and this is important since you need to get through it to be awarded your degree), what I meant was that engineering is a course where you will eventually get into strife if you don't actually understand the material - which is not the case with many other courses. I mean for courses which consist mainly of assessments based on providing written explanations, even if you don't understand the material well you can just fudge something and scrape a pass.

But with engineering what are you going to in later years? "Fudge" the construction of an electronic device? You simply wouldn't be able to. My view is that engineering is one of those few courses which go beyond simply knowing the material and that it also requires the ability to apply knowledge. You could argue that the same could be said about other courses. But in how many of those courses would there be consequences if understanding is lacking? A lack of understanding of basic concepts could stop you from being able to successfully construct the device that you set out to achieve. But in other courses (such as Arts), what consequence is there? Apart from the minor inconvenience of having to selecting something else to write about.

Yes and in terms of money, engineering can't compare with many other fields. Which further reinforces the point that it's stupid to suggest that a career in engineering should be pursued purely on the basis of money. Besides, engineering requires much more time and effort spent on the actual subject material than many other fields where you can earn much more money. So why would anyone want to waste their time on engineering if they have no interest in it?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)