melb uni 2007 (1 Viewer)

Julz_012

HSC
Hi all
i'm (hopefully) going to melb uni next year. any advice? i'm from up near newcastle and i've only been there once. i wont really know anyone in the city.
Any advice on where the best place to live is and where i could go to meet people and that sort of thing would be much appreciated :)

turtleface

HSC
I think its really good to live as close to uni as possible (though very likely expensive). Its great when you can get up 10 minutes before your class.

when you get to uni there is dedicated accommodation notice boards with like 200 advertisements for housing in the student union building so if you find the place you start at sucks, its very easy to find more.

as for meeting people, just talk to people in tutorials. People usually respond fairly well unless they have english difficulties or something.

then theres always the faculty social events/booze nights, though they're often a bit...well...I'll leave it at that.

xizoran

HSC
yer i am in newcastle wanting to go to melbourne - but i dont want to stay at those stupid colleges they sound heaps lame. and theyre like all religious. i think i may stay at a backpackers for like a few days while i find somewhere haha

Julz_012

HSC
xizoran, have u looked at college square? its an appartment building for students only so its like a college with heaps of students around and stuff, but no shared bathrooms or religion.
thats where i've decided to live

gorgo31

HSC
Hmm. You do know that College Square is owned / operated by the YMCA? Do you know what the C stands for in the YMCA?

Anyway, the religious aspects of college and College Square for that matter are completely overstated and designed to freak you out before you get there. You will have more premartial sex and goon-related hangovers from college than from many other places. With that said, college is for very particular people; eg. country kids, jocks, girly girls or kids who live 30mins out of the CBD who have loaded parents who'll pay for them to live on campus. At Melbourne Uni colleges, the country kids are generally the only ones worth paying attention to.

Hope this helps.

Julz_012

HSC
i didnt know what it stood for until i looked it up just then. damn. oh well, i'm sure it'll be fine *crosses fingers*

hsc=suicide

HSC
ive applied for the colleges at umelb, but i guess i fall into the country kids, as i come from coffs harbour :s its a city...but most people label it as country. ive been to the colleges, apart from a few of the smaller ones, the religious activities and emphasis is very subtle. hopefully ill get into biochem eng/BSc and ormond college. thats if it all goes as planned. fuck i hate waiting for my results!

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
I really don't like it when people make assumptions about colleges when they don't talk to people who live there. I live at Queen's College, which is the most Northern college on College Crescent at the University of Melbourne. I love it so much I'm returning for a 2nd year.
For a start, they aren't 'heaps lame', as someone said...and by NO way are they religious (like there are some religious ones but I certainly know my is not...there is optional religious stuff if you want to get involved...but unless it involves goon or beer, most ppl don't participate). Living in college isn't for everyone, but if you're willing to have a kickarse first year of uni and meeting people that aren't just doing your course, then its definately worth it. It's really expensive, granted, but scholarships are available, and if you work your arse off, you'll get one.
Although it's too late for applications for 2007 entry, I reccommend living in a college.
Also, College Square and the Colleges of the University of Melbourne are extremly different. College Square is an apartment block, the colleges are communities, you know everyones name, you play sport, you participate in community and cultural stuff and you have an awesome time.
If you're new to Melbourne and you're really worried about not meeting people (if you're not living in a college) then hit the sign ups for the clubs and societies in o-week and get involved. Meeting ppl in your lectures can be really hard if there are 500 ppl in the theatre. Or, if worse comes to worse, become a non-residential member of a college...not many offer it, I know Trinity does and it provides academic support plus a few social things.
Don't sit back in your first year and expect to have people just come up to you, you have to be proactive.

Edit: And Ormond is primarily Melbourne kids...in comparison to other colleges. Real private school atmosphere (like lots of leavers from a certain school try and get in = party party party cos they already know one another) But it must be ok I guess - I can only guess. Lol.

Last edited:

hsc=suicide

HSC
Skillo said:
Edit: And Ormond is primarily Melbourne kids...in comparison to other colleges. Real private school atmosphere (like lots of leavers from a certain school try and get in = party party party cos they already know one another) But it must be ok I guess - I can only guess. Lol.
hmmmm i kinda got that feeling when i was there, but then again it seemed like a really nice place to live.

FlashCE

HSC
hsc=suicide has an awesome avatar.

Elfen Lied FTW.

I'm hopefully going to UoM next year too, maybe we could meet up Julz, haha.

FlashCE

HSC
I got the marks for UniMelb too. hsc, we better have some nerdy anime talk some time.

Julz, I hope you get in!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)