Diploma in Maths (1 Viewer)

gcspsp

HSC
Is there such a thing? Is it possible to combine a Diploma with an undergrad?

han-

HSC
I don't think theres such a thing as a diploma at melbourne, if you were studying maths at melb you'd be doing a Bachelor of science majoring in maths/possibly soemthing else, and then go on to do honours etc

gcspsp

HSC
han- said:
I don't think theres such a thing as a diploma at melbourne, if you were studying maths at melb you'd be doing a Bachelor of science majoring in maths/possibly soemthing else, and then go on to do honours etc
Yeah Im probably going to end up in B.Sc but I will most likely major in Chem Systems, and follow the Melbourne Model to Masters in Chemical Engineering. The thing is I've heard that the only Engineering branch thats most associated with maths is Electrical...is this true?

greentsquare

HSC
On the contrary, there is such a thing. I am an incoming 2nd year in one of the new generation degrees there, and I did consider doing one of the so-called 'Concurrent Diplomas' particularly the Diploma in Languages. There is one called Diploma in Mathematical Sciences. The idea behind a concurrent diploma is that you get this qualification in addition to your bachelor's degree when you graduate. However, this would require taking on extra subjects which could be done either through overloading (if you are a high-achieving student) or extending your stay at the uni by at least a semester.

The Diploma in Mathematical Sciences could be taken in conjunction with any new generation degree - Arts, Commerce, Environments, Biomedicine, Science or Music.

Here are a couple of links that have info regarding the Dip in MS:

Diploma in Mathematical Sciences

https://app.portal.unimelb.edu.au/CSCApplication/view/2009/R07-AA

I hope that helps.

greentsquare

HSC
But I have an offer in the regular BE degree...
well then, you can't take that particular Diploma
Engineering already has a lot of Maths as it is, either separate ones (like Calculus and Linear Algebra - both of these are common to all Engg students) or integrated into Engineering subjects - I know this for a fact, since I tried to get an Engineering subject as an elective for this year but I wasn't able to since at least one 1st year maths, which I didn't take, was a prerequisite

Besides, it's an unaccepted fact (well, at least I reckon so anyway) that if you're in Engineering, you ARE supposed to be good at Maths so it's a bit of a redundancy if you still seek to have a separate Maths qualification.

Oh, and it's not only Electrical Engg that is really associated with Maths. Cvil Engg, among everything else, also has lots (plus Physics) - can you imagine what would happen if bridges were built without engineers bothering about mathematical calculations?

vce_kiddo

HSC
Is there such a thing? Is it possible to combine a Diploma with an undergrad?
You can take a Dip Mathematical Sciences at UMELB alongside your B ENG or your B SCI (and some other ones too, but you can check that on the website)...
It sounds pretty cool, i think thats what i'll do..... i hope:shy:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)