Melbourne Biomed question (1 Viewer)

Beastling

HSC
Hi, im a bit confused about my current subject selection situation. Melbourne biomed is number one on my preference list, but ive been offered scholarships from monash (engineering and science) so i think i can still accept them and not go to melbourne. The reasons that i put biomed number one are: high entry requirements and the wide range of possibilities and directions you can go after 3 years, because i am not really sure what i want to do just yet. However I hated biology and didnt really like chem pracs (although my chem study score was pretty high), so im leaning more towards engineering. So what i want to ask is are there aspects of engineering or maths in biomedicine? I enjoy maths particularly figuring out difficult questions. Wasnt really into doing all the graphs and crap in physics but apparently vce physics isnt really reflective of real physics and engineering. PLEASE help

thanks!

kunzru

HSC
N/A
It's Biomedicine. Biology subjects are a given in all semesters of study. Chemistry in first year is also compulsory for all (used for future biochemistry content studied), but if you take engineering you take a different 'physics' component (Bioengineering Systems 2).

Chemistry, Physics and Math as 'pure' subjects disappear after first year. Second year onwards is very much Biology based with Physics and Chemistry coming in on some aspects of the course.

If you're taking the non-engineering stream, your first year consists of:
Biology x2
Chemistry for Biomedicine
Physics (VCE or non-VCE)
Math: Calculus (1 or 2)
Statistical Analysis, a math subject
Breadth x2

If you're taking the bioengineering stream, your first year consists of:
Biology x2
Chemistry
Calculus 2 (instead of any other math)
Linear Algebra (instead of Statistical Analysis)
Bioengineering Systems (instead of physics)
Breadth x2

By the way, Chemistry in Biomedicine is EXTREMELY different from what was studied in high school. It's much more complicated and covers a whole range of new topics.

Have you looked at the course handbook entry and the biomedicine website? They would definitely give you a good idea of what to expect regarding subjects.

If you end up choosing biomedicine, make sure that it really is what you want to do. I would suggest you find out more information about the courses that you want to do... ask for advice from the unis, etc. Enter score requirements shouldn't be an incentive to apply for courses, either :spin:

If you've got more questions I'd be happy to answer them. Post here/PM or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)