House/Apartment Sharing in Melbourne anyone?? (1 Viewer)

sunbeca

HSC
Hi potential housemates,

I'm looking for people (1 or 2) to start sharing a house or apartment in Melbourne starting from Feb 1st at the latest.
The areas I have been looking at are:
  • Ascot Vale/Moonee Ponds
  • Yarraville/Newport
  • Caulfield/Malvern
These places are on different side of town as I am after the value rather than a particular area.
The rent will range between $115-$130 for a 3 bedrooms place, $130-150 for a 2 bedrooms place(mainly apartments). The price does not include bills and most places are unfurnished but they come in with basic things such as cooking appliances, laundry facilities etc.

I need someone to enter a lease with me thus I would go with whichever area you prefer. Please PM me if you are interested and/or need to know more about me so that I shall forward you the links of the ads and hopefully we can start a funky sharehouse.=)

Thanks,
B.

sunbeca

HSC
Hi

Why so far out?
ummm because they are more affordable and you get more value out of it.
For $150(including bills) you get a decent sized bedroom in those areas sharing kitchen&bath with 2 other students or a bed in a twinshare room in unilodge on swanston sharing things with 50+ people.

I'm also looking into north melbourne and there's a place costing $140 per room per week excluding bills.
The thing is I'm prepared to pay for the first few weeks just in case I cannot immediately find someone to enter the lease with me. Thus a more expensive place might make me pay a lot for nothing..

rx34

HSC
Hey there, good luck in finding a place. I will be looking for a room (10 minutes walking distance) if I get an offer from either Melbourne Uni or Monash. I currently stay in Toorak but I'm still waiting for the damn offer! Are you in Melb uni?

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
I know a girl in Melbourne who's looking for a place to rent with roomies. Shall I contact her for you? She's a truly delightful shortass ahahaha.

sunbeca

HSC
Hey there, good luck in finding a place. I will be looking for a room (10 minutes walking distance) if I get an offer from either Melbourne Uni or Monash. I currently stay in Toorak but I'm still waiting for the damn offer! Are you in Melb uni?
places within 10 mins walk to uni are generally out of my budget.
I did see one 3 bedroom apartment in carlton that would cost $180 per room per week excluding bills.
Price wise I wouldn't mind going up to that its just that I cant see the point of paying a lot for tiny spaces. Since you will be travelling around paying for bus/tram tickets. might as well live somewhere within zone 1 and enjoy your space.

There's this 3 bedroom apartment in North Melbourne(20 mins walk to uni) that costs about $130 per room per week exc. bills. The price's pretty reasonable so let me know if you are interested.

philphie

Banned
HSC
i don't know what happened to my post, but i'll wait to see if i get an offer then talk later. i'm still surprised by the fact parkville is costing so much nowadays seeing how it hasn't been undergoing gentrification for that long.

lol if you want cheap, would you dare consider footscray?

sunbeca

HSC
lol if you want cheap, would you dare consider footscray?
i want a place that's affordable but not extremely cheap.
i'm not desperate enough to go into footscray since i don't want to get stabbed while walking on the street y' know lol

when is your offer coming through? Mid Jan?

p.s. i found a property in carlton north 10 mins tram away from uni. and its affordable $150 approx per week per room. but then it's too much of a risk for me as its a 5 bedrooms terrace. if i dont find anyone to move in immediately with me i'll have to pay lots of money for nothing
anyways let me know if you get an offer

philphie

Banned
HSC
i get an offer i think on the 11th. lol i hear Footscray is bad but at least when i was there i don't think it was as dangerous as everyone amde it up to be, it seems quite festive and villagey

sunbeca

HSC
oh really? thats interesting to hear
a friend of mine calls it footSCARY..
there is a large refugee/immigrants(illegal or not) population and i think kids who grow up in that area are generally into gangsta culture. and yes people do get robbed or stabbed around there more often than in other places.
A positive thing about footscray is that you can enjoy great food from all parts of the world at an affordable price. There are lots of awesome bakeries that sell cheap vietnamese breadroll(asian styled subway)

philphie

Banned
HSC
haha sydney has plenty of places where you can get cheap international food. but i'm guessing if it's asian then it's cabramatta, bankstown, or Marrickville. i think Cabramatta would be Sydney's Footscray.

i hear Michael Leunig is 'Footscray 4 Lyf'

sunbeca

HSC
footscray is very vietnamese/sudanese/indian..or italian a few decades back if i remembered it correctly(not that i was born at that time)..
is that hard to get to those places by public transport? coz i'm taking my dad up to sydney in feb.

apparently west footscray is a way better place to live..wondering if he's from there
i wish i could be saying that with pride lol

philphie

Banned
HSC
footscray is very vietnamese/sudanese/indian..or italian a few decades back if i remembered it correctly(not that i was born at that time)..
is that hard to get to those places by public transport? coz i'm taking my dad up to sydney in feb.

apparently west footscray is a way better place to live..wondering if he's from there
i wish i could be saying that with pride lol

lol west of the western suburbs somehow means better living.

no you can pretty much go anywhere in Sydeny by train except in the Eastern suburbs (ironically they went over budget by then) so it only goes as far as to Bondi in the Eastern suburbs but there's the metrobus now which is good. if you're looking for a place with some great diversity with a bohemian/festive appeal then anywhere in the inner west is great. Leichhardt is Italian central, Balmain, Petersham has good Portugese, so does Glebe, Newtown is thai food central and 'la vie boheme' big undeground music scene and plenty of boutiques. Burwood is great for chinese, Strathfield for Korean. in the inner west you can pretty much walk it from suburb to suburb.

if you want to go further out west then like i said before Cabramatta, Bankstown are good for Asian food. in the cbd, like any other cbd, you really only need to take the train to one stop and walk around for the rest.

most people will obviosuly tell you to avoid Redfern but look, if you've got street smarts and aren't a complete idiot you should really be fine.

if you're cathing the train in the late night (from 1am till whenever, after that is night bus) and feel like you're in a dodgy situation i suggest before getting on find the blue guard light which is on the side of the train and go into the carriage nearest to it.

sunbeca

HSC
thanks for the information!!
the place we are going to stay is near Hyde Park..it appears to be a decent area

what's wrong with Redfern just out of curiosity...
i've only heard that kings cross is dodgy.

philphie

Banned
HSC
are you staying in a hotel or residential? i'm guessing that it's Darlinghurst you're staying in which is as dodgy as any other inner city fringe suburb (which again really isn't that bad if you're not an idiot). you have a large student and gay community considering both its closeness to the CBD and Kings Cross. if you're not pissed or off your head in Kings Cross then you're most likely going to have a hard time.

the west side of redfern on majority is full of housing commissions and has what people think a large Indigenous poulation (though it's only 2.4% i think) but also has a large student populationg considering usyd is very close by. the east side touching Alexandria is considered to be much safer. for me i can walk through the late hours in Redfern, you just have to know what things obviously look bad.

sunbeca

HSC
its a hotel opposite hyde park i think. from google map its not that far away from Museum Station.
i probably won't be going out at night so i guess it should be fine.

by the way i think you would be suitable for a real estate job in sydney. why coming down to melbourne? and i guess you are going to study a commerce or property/town planning course??

philphie

Banned
HSC
lolololol no i just know sydney very well. i do work the property market a bit but nothing serious. i'm selling the family home, so have just been going around trying to figure out my own quotes (estate agents are useless), going to auctions to check out market interest. but apart from that i definitely do not see any appeal in the corporate world. entrepreneurship just runs in my blood. i might be coming to Melbourne (i've applied for usyd as well) because unlike most sydneysiders i think Melbourne is great, especially little collins st. and you guys take better care of your terraces and your eastern suburbs (despite not being inflated as much as ours) generally look better with less Mcmansions and nice oak tree lined streets like in Canterbury. i don't care much for Toorak though with all the black tractors.

i'll be doing an arts degree (majoring po sci)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)