USYD vs. UMELB in arts and music (1 Viewer)

__moonriver

HSC
Hi all,

I'm tossing up between going to UMelb with a bachelor of arts and diploma of music, or USyd with a combined Bachelor of Music studies/Arts degree. So what's the quality of arts like at Melbourne compared to Sydney, especially with English? And what's the diploma of music like? Can it lead to careers in music such as performance or music journalism? Is the diploma recognised by employers?

I know I won't be getting many non-bias responses, as most of you probably go to UMelb. Just thought I'd ask, just in case.

Nikki19

HSC
i heard Sydney uni is better..i'm not a studetn at either uni's because I grew up surrounded by music I should have pursued my music career with Syd Uni

FutureSight01

IS NOT ASIAN!
HSC
Problem with Arts/Music at USYD is you'd have to make your way from the Botanical Gardens to the Quad if you had both on the one day.

__moonriver

HSC
The distance between the two campuses is really not a problem for me. My main concern is the quality of education. Anyone else doing the diploma of music at UMelb?

kidokkyo

HSC
Uni Grad
omg i'm a unimelb b.a. GO TO USYD!!!
if it's quality of education you're looking for, all i can say is that that is severely lacking here since the inception of glyn davis and his melbourne model.
unimelb's arts program was once renowned, and we prided ourselves on the "arts@melbourne" brand but cuts to funding have led to the axing of countless subjects and even at least one area of study/major. there is in force a rule now that a subject must have a minimum enrolment of 50 to run, i.e. subjects with only "small numbers" of interest are killed off, which is poison in an arts faculty; an arts faculty thrives on breadth AND depth, not just "breadth", which is apparently davis's favourite term (or he just hates the arts faculty). how bad must it have been if our dean decided to quit. http://www.theaustralian.com.au/hig...nd-a-resignation/story-e6frgckf-1111114395253 and the then-emergency re-appointment is still there years on.
but enough of internal politics.
practically speaking, i guess those areas of study which are popular and have large student AND staff counts could still enjoy a high qual of ed but others like mine will take decades to recover.
just go syd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)