Help needed choosing universities! (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
So I plan on moving to Melbourne, and going to university there.
Except I have absolutely no idea which one to go to and which is the best for me to get into Medicine.
Like for a university here, the medical sciences course for the first year and then I can sit the GAMSAT and get into Medicine the next year, provided I pass.
Is there something similar to that for Melbourne unis?

Also will the UMAT count? And would my ATAR still be the same once I move? :/
I've heard that UMelb, Deakin and Monash are good universities but I have no idea. :/

kidokkyo

HSC
Uni Grad
unimelb no longer offers an undergraduate medicine course.

i'm not dead certain on the details of pathways into med, but the method you describe, i.e. transferring after a year of med sci, is definitely something that happens in victoria, too. so yes, there is something similar if not the same in melb. a friend started his mbbs after a year of biomedical sci.

yes, i believe all australian health sciences courses inc. med require a umat score.

yes, your atar should be the same since it is a nationally equivalent measure.

personally i would recommend monash. it's a large uni (the nation's largest) and it has one of the world's best-resourced libraries in terms of online databases. it is a uni recognised for its strong research (like unimelb, it's a member of the group of eight) and the argument goes that therefore your teachers will be at the cutting edge of knowledge in their fields. as a go8 member, it also enjoys a certain amount of prestige, at least nationally.

and just in case anyone thinks i'm biased, i'm a unimelb student, tyvm!

hope you enjoy melbourne.

HSC
N/A
unimelb no longer offers an undergraduate medicine course.

i'm not dead certain on the details of pathways into med, but the method you describe, i.e. transferring after a year of med sci, is definitely something that happens in victoria, too. so yes, there is something similar if not the same in melb. a friend started his mbbs after a year of biomedical sci.

yes, i believe all australian health sciences courses inc. med require a umat score.

yes, your atar should be the same since it is a nationally equivalent measure.

personally i would recommend monash. it's a large uni (the nation's largest) and it has one of the world's best-resourced libraries in terms of online databases. it is a uni recognised for its strong research (like unimelb, it's a member of the group of eight) and the argument goes that therefore your teachers will be at the cutting edge of knowledge in their fields. as a go8 member, it also enjoys a certain amount of prestige, at least nationally.

and just in case anyone thinks i'm biased, i'm a unimelb student, tyvm!

hope you enjoy melbourne.
Hmm, okay.
Yeah, I was considering Monash, plus I was thinking of contacting the unis, and ask them about their science faculties+pathways+etc.
Would you recommend I do that? :S
Lol.
Thanks a lot! :)

HSC
N/A
Hmm I would pick the med school that selects you.
Well yes, but first I need to put options on the VTAC with the courses I want to do in those unis.
I'm just looking for courses that are available in medicine, pathways, and such.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
The pathway for U of Melb is that you do a bachelor of biomedicine. Other unis you can do med sci or something similar then transfer into undergrad medicine. But the Melb model (for U Melb) is quite unique to any other Aussie university.

kidokkyo

HSC
Uni Grad
plus I was thinking of contacting the unis, and ask them about their science faculties+pathways+etc.
Would you recommend I do that? :S
absolutely! clichéd as it is, knowledge is power. as my dad always says, "there's no harm in asking". you can harass the institutions, try and find people who have personally done the move to med, etc. if you're feeling really adventurous you could even try searching up one of the med specific clubs/societies and approach them (helps if you show an interest in potentially joining their club, of course). i haven't tried that myself so i don't know what kind of results it would yield, but definitely ask around.

np!

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
I think you can only put Monash down since UMelb and Deakin (I think) are postgraduate. You should apply through UAC as well (USyd, UNSW, UWS, UNCLE, UNE and Griffith).

Edit: QTAC (JCU and UQ), UTas, UoA and UWA.

Last edited:

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Alternative pathways into medicine, that is post-graduate, then there are ANU, UMelb, USyd, Deakin (I think), UOW, Flinders and UNDA (I think).

HSC
N/A
absolutely! clichéd as it is, knowledge is power. as my dad always says, "there's no harm in asking". you can harass the institutions, try and find people who have personally done the move to med, etc. if you're feeling really adventurous you could even try searching up one of the med specific clubs/societies and approach them (helps if you show an interest in potentially joining their club, of course). i haven't tried that myself so i don't know what kind of results it would yield, but definitely ask around.

np!
Thanks! For the link as well!
Is it normal to be all confused? :S
`Cause I kinda am, the end is so near! D: Lol.
Also, I'll contact them asap~

I think you can only put Monash down since UMelb and Deakin (I think) are postgraduate. You should apply through UAC as well (USyd, UNSW, UWS, UNCLE, UNE and Griffith).

Edit: QTAC (JCU and UQ), UTas, UoA and UWA.
Alternative pathways into medicine, that is post-graduate, then there are ANU, UMelb, USyd, Deakin (I think), UOW, Flinders and UNDA (I think).
Thanks! I'll check them out!
Also, I can do say the med science course[or any other bachelor?] and then transfer into medicine?
I'm still getting used to the terms and stuff. >_<"

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Post-graduate means you have to complete a degree before applying for medicine. It could be anything; law, engineering and health sciences to name a few.
Advantage: there isn't really one (if you don't consider studying medicine as a gift in itself)
Disadvantage: longer period of studying (9+ years) and a shit load of HECS

Transfer involves complete a year or more of a relevant course such as Medical science, dentistry, pharmacy and etc then applying for medicine.
Advantage: maybe second time lucky, less time studying than post-graduate and hence less HECS
Disadvantage: effectively losing a bit of time (but whatever still in med, lol)

kidokkyo

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks! For the link as well!
Is it normal to be all confused? :S
sorry if the link was more of a hindrance than a help. i admit it probably wasn't directly relevant to your case, but i just wanted to indicate that your case isn't isolated and also to provide you with some background. you can ignore it; finding your own info directly is best!

good on you!

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
why are you whispering

also UMelb is best university in melbourne.

HSC
N/A
Post-graduate means you have to complete a degree before applying for medicine. It could be anything; law, engineering and health sciences to name a few.
Advantage: there isn't really one (if you don't consider studying medicine as a gift in itself)
Disadvantage: longer period of studying (9+ years) and a shit load of HECS

Transfer involves complete a year or more of a relevant course such as Medical science, dentistry, pharmacy and etc then applying for medicine.
Advantage: maybe second time lucky, less time studying than post-graduate and hence less HECS
Disadvantage: effectively losing a bit of time (but whatever still in med, lol)
Transferring sounds much better, lol.
Plus if I were to stay in Syd and get into USyd, I'd have done MedSci and then transferred in Med, like my friend did.

sorry if the link was more of a hindrance than a help. i admit it probably wasn't directly relevant to your case, but i just wanted to indicate that your case isn't isolated and also to provide you with some background. you can ignore it; finding your own info directly is best!

good on you!
No, it's okay!
Yeah, I got that. ^^
Lol, thanks. I'm in the process of getting their contact info and then actually emailing/calling them.:)

bby3

HSC
What ATAR are you looking at getting? might help narrow down a med school

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
The only undergrad med school in Melbourne is at Monash, which is quite competitive with the selection process consisting of ENTER/UMAT/Interview. However, Deakin and Melbourne both offer post grad med.
The pathway for U of Melb is that you do a bachelor of biomedicine. Other unis you can do med sci or something similar then transfer into undergrad medicine. But the Melb model (for U Melb) is quite unique to any other Aussie university.
Yup, or you could do BSc if you don't get the score for BBiomed then apply for post-grad med.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)