My ATAR score is 0.05 short from the minimum entry requirements.. Help! (1 Viewer)

xwendywux

HSC
Hi, I'm an international student that just graduated from high school. Like everyone else, I got my ATAR score today and I got an 84.95. I've already listed Bachelor of Environments at Melbourne Uni as my first preference and it requires an 85. I'm 0.05 short, it's unbelievable. Is there a possiblity that I will be considered to be given an offer?

As an international student, I only have one round of offer so there is only one chance.
I also don't really understand about how clearly-in rank works? I saw it in VTAC and that in 2011, it shows a percentage% of how people who were below the clearly-in rank got an offer, even at the first round. How is that possible?

Will cases like mine be considered?

Anyone's help will be much appreciated. :)

SoAmazing

HSC
Honestly, i dont think your chances are very high as the trend in previous years has been that the clearly in rank has been higher than the minimum score. Clearly in rank is for students who gain entry just on the basis of their scores. A number of students will receive offers through alternative pathways(mature age entry) or special categories (such as SEAS) and as such their scores might fall under the clearly in rank. My understanding is if you get below the minumum score, or below the clearly in rank for that matter-which may sit above the minimum score, and have not applied or fall in to any of the special consideration categories then you will not receive an offer.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
don't international students get bonus points?

xwendywux

HSC
Honestly, i dont think your chances are very high as the trend in previous years has been that the clearly in rank has been higher than the minimum score. Clearly in rank is for students who gain entry just on the basis of their scores. A number of students will receive offers through alternative pathways(mature age entry) or special categories (such as SEAS) and as such their scores might fall under the clearly in rank. My understanding is if you get below the minumum score, or below the clearly in rank for that matter-which may sit above the minimum score, and have not applied or fall in to any of the special consideration categories then you will not receive an offer.
Yeah you're right. I already called + email the uni about my situation and as you said, my chance is extremely low, possibly zero because according to them, melbourne uni has never accpeted any students who got a score below the minimum entry score so yeah. Those percentage who got in which an atar below the clearly in rank were those who applied through SEAS.

Don't worry though, I already figured my way though I'm still deciding whether to just do a 3year course at RMIT or this 4year course for one or two semester and then transfer to melb uni. But it won't be easy so I'm still thinking..

SoAmazing

HSC
No, consideration will be given to Access Melbourne applicants, i dont believe there is bonus points for international students

gwenwiver

HSC
N/A
Are you referring to the minimum mark for last years entry level? If so wait to see what it ends up this year. That mark is based on the mark of the last student offered a place. This year the rules are changed and the university may offer more places in the particular course you want to get into. Also the course may not have the same demand as last year. It depends on supply and demand.

SoAmazing

HSC
@ gwenwiver- no, the score that the poster has referred to- which was 85, was a minimum score set by the uni 'the 2012 Minimum ATAR for the Bachelor of Environments is 85. This means all students who achieve an ATAR of 85 or above will be considered for a place. The Minimum ATAR is not a guarantee.'. The actual cut-off score was higher than the minimum. It is correct to say that most uni's will be offering more places in a wide variety of courses due to the change in the government funding scheme but melbourne university has already expressed that they will not be increasing the number of places offered so scores are unlikely to fall.

matsing

HSC
Hi, I'm an international student that just graduated from high school. Like everyone else, I got my ATAR score today and I got an 84.95. I've already listed Bachelor of Environments at Melbourne Uni as my first preference and it requires an 85. I'm 0.05 short, it's unbelievable. Is there a possiblity that I will be considered to be given an offer?

As an international student, I only have one round of offer so there is only one chance.
I also don't really understand about how clearly-in rank works? I saw it in VTAC and that in 2011, it shows a percentage% of how people who were below the clearly-in rank got an offer, even at the first round. How is that possible?

Will cases like mine be considered?

Anyone's help will be much appreciated. :)
Everyone here is pretty much wrong. Ignore the clearly-in mark that is not pertaining to you (an international student). For international student gaining an ATAR of 85 or more is GUARANTEED entry. On that note, it is unlikely (not impossible) that you will gain entry. Just be persistant towards them, meaning constantly call and email show your eagerness to get in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)