Rare John Wayne Movies (1 Viewer)

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
I got most of John Wayne movies as downloads and/or DVDs and some Blu-Rays. However there are some which are almost impossible to get.

So my question is - does anyone on BOS have these rare ones?

1929 Strong Boy - considered lost (*) (However ...... - Disputable as to if John Wayne is even in this movie - he is uncredited - so the only way to determine if he is in it is to see it - but at the moment we can't because it's probably lost - however there is a rumour that a copy exists in Australia - if this is true, who has it?).

1929 Speakeasy - considered lost

1929 Words and Music - considered lost

1929 The Forward Pass - considered lost

1930 Cheer Up and Smile - UCLA (University College Los Angeles) have it but won't release it

1931 Girls Demand Excitement - UCLA have it but won't release it

1931 Three Girls Lost - UCLA have most of it (1 reel missing) but won't release it

1931 The Deceiver - LOC (Library of Congress) have it but won't release it

1932 That's My Boy - LOC have it but won't release it.

1936 The Oregon Trail - considered lost

1937 Adventure's End - LOC have it but won't release it.

(*) - Note that there is no such thing as "lost" in the sense that we will never be able to get it. I use "considered lost" because some previously "lost" ones were found, restored and re-released on DVD!

Last edited:

Tasteless

HSC
That's p sad so many are lost/withheld, wow.

Buuut unfortunately there's virtually 0 chance anyone here will have any if from the looks of things nobody in living existence does (at least that they'll share with the world).

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
What is the position on the Library of Congress films? Getting access via a research position is probably the most likely way to get access if it's just off limits for public release. Or it may be worth pursuing direct inquiry.

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
It's extremely hard to get UCLA or LOC to release them.

"Annie Laurie" from 1927 was once considered to only be in the LOC (and they wouldn't release it). But it is now available on DVD (probably NOT sourced from the LOC)! Some others once considered to be only in UCLA have also seen a similar resurrection. Others once considered lost have since been found and re-released.

This is why I have not given up on getting the remaining rare ones.

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Well, you're right about lost films surfacing. And keep looking online; Mickey Mouse In Vietnam surfaced online recently after being unavailable for years, so there's still hope.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)