Is it really only entertainment? (1 Viewer)

thinkingcap

HSC
I am doing my undergraduate thesis on the media and specifically how it could affect our morals, attitudes or even behaviour. I would love to hear how young people view this issue.

One of the ways people learn appropriate behaviour is by observing. We are spending more and more time “consuming” media and the messages we are exposed to are pretty repetitive. One could argue that the behaviour we observe on TV (for example) could affect our own attitudes in the long run.

Is what we see on TV simply a reflection of society or does society slowly change to become more like the version of reality the TV shows us?

Let me offer an example. From a young age we see things on TV that may show us what is “normal” in our society. We may see constant depictions of materialism, selfishness and immoral behaviour. Will all these messages we saw through the media contribute to the type of people we become as adults?

I am interested to see how Millennials interact with the media and how much power they think the media has to influence who they are. The effect media has on people is not a new topic, but certainly something worth thinking about!

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I think a lot of what we see in media shapes our attitudes towards life. Even if we reject what is presented within media, we are still allowing it to alter our perception of what life should be. (i.e. if we reject the consumerist ideals presented within media, we are still letting our attitudes towards life be shaped by the rejection of values presented in media, if that makes any sense)

Same goes if we embrace what is presented. Interesting thesis for your undergrad! Although media isn't a controlling force, it is a very dangerous and influential external pressure (if we allow it to be).

thinkingcap

HSC
Hey Rumbleroar, I tend to agree with your viewpoint. Your last sentence is interesting, about the media being dangerous and influential if we allow it to be. How do we control the affect media can have on us or prevent it from influencing us? I guess these things happen mostly unconsciously.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)