Favourite Movies. (1 Viewer)

HSC
Whats everyones Top 10 favourite films?

Just interested in what sorta movies you guys watch...
:D

Here's my list in (no particular order, except the first three which are my most favourite...):
  • The Shawshank Redemption
  • Memento
  • Fight Club
  • Gattaca
  • Groundhog Day
  • Se7en
  • American History X
  • American Beauty
  • The Truman Show
  • Monty Python and the Holy Grail
  • The Professional

oh wait thats 11, oh well.

edit: I forgot! Being John Malkovich!

EDIT BY BUBZ: there were around eight or nine "favourite movie" threads, so i merged them all together and stickied it so that people (hopefully) won't make any more.

enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
they are all great movies except i find gattaca the most intriguiging, just amazing how a guy is told that he can't achieve certain things just because of his genes but proves them all wrong in the end and accomplishes the almost unbelivable( no, not scoring with the head pe teacher)really puts a perspective hsc wise and that maybe trying to achieve the uai of our dreams doesn't seem far off.

HSC
Originally posted by Slice of heaven
they are all great movies except i find gattaca the most intriguiging, just amazing how a guy is told that he can't achieve certain things just because of his genes but proves them all wrong in the end and accomplishes the almost unbelivable( no, not scoring with the head pe teacher)really puts a perspective hsc wise and that maybe trying to achieve the uai of our dreams doesn't seem far off.
Yeah, I agree.

The tagline for the movie was "There's no gene for the human spirit" which just sums it all up nicely.

i dont know why but i am strangely drawn to teen movies made around the mid 80s, like the breakfast club, pretty in pink, some kind of wonderful,... etc. I just see something in them that i dont see elsewhere(not just the hairdos) it seems that teen movies of today may have lost some of the flair and certain ingerdients that these movies offered, John Hughes was argueably a very good director at the time, also responsible for home alone.

HSC
Originally posted by Slice of heaven
i dont know why but i am strangely drawn to teen movies made around the mid 80s, like the breakfast club, pretty in pink, some kind of wonderful,... etc. I just see something in them that i dont see elsewhere(not just the hairdos) it seems that teen movies of today may have lost some of the flair and certain ingerdients that these movies offered, John Hughes was argueably a very good director at the time, also responsible for home alone.
Yeah strangly I like some teen flicks from the 80s as well, namely "Breakfast Club" and "Ferris Buller's Day Off".

And I agree most teen flicks today are very dire...

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Hmm... no mention of The Matrix, Gladiator or even The Fellowship of the Ring!

You're seeing the wrong movies. =P

Morgues

You have to go back to classics such as Godfather Part 1 and 2, silence of the lambs
Usual suspects was really good also Pulp fiction

Soap

HSC
Heres a few of my fav's

Three Kings (lol im using it for one of my change texts)
Snatch/Lock Stock
The Life of Brian
Hunt For Red October
Fight Club
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Predator / Commando (classic arnie)
Matrix (just for the lobby scene)
Dr. Strangelove (bit old but still funny i love the guy that rides the bomb)
Usual Suspects - yeah great movie
---

gladiator a bit long for me
fellowship was good but im waiting for the next 2

btw the life of brian is the only monty python movie i liked (meaning of life was a bit too odd and holy grail was friggin boring)

i've been meaning to watch Shawshank Redemption and Pulp Fiction for ages but never get round to it.

Last edited:
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
Hmm... no mention of The Matrix, Gladiator or even The Fellowship of the Ring!

You're seeing the wrong movies. =P
I liked all the movies you mentioned, but I they weren't my favourites. Have you seen any of the movies on my list? They are much better. :D

Matrix probably comes close to my list, but somethings let it down a bit. Keanu Reeves while looking the part, isn't really much of an actor, and the last bit where he realises he is the chosen one and does all that crap was a bit bleh and predictable.

Fellowship is very overrated. I'm a fan of the book and the movie but it really wasn't that good. For instance, there was very little characterisation (due to there being to many characters), it was a little too long and the acting at times was a bit meh.
Other than that it was really good, cinematography, casting, editing, special effects and music were all top notch.

dissonance

hmmm, I probably don't quite have ten but here goes..

fight club
Clerks
Truman show
American Beauty
Mr. Holland's opus - (what can I say?)

I can't really think of many others I liked...not a huge movie buff here...don't have enough time to watch entire movies anymore. Maybe I'll become a movie freak after the HSC?..,.:D

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
its annoying when movies which had the potential to be really great are runied by endless promotions and mindless propaganda. like LOTR, that shits me.

umm im pretty much the same as u mercury drinker, cept shawshank redemption never seen that before..

* thelma and louise
* american beauty
* fight club
* seven
* breakfast club
* ferris bueller's
* deep impact (concept was shithose but tea leoni was mad in it!)
* romy and michele's
* empire records (has the BEST 80's music EVER!!)
* minority report recently was actally not too bad, consideing that tom cruise usually really shits me but he was okay in Min Rep.
* the beach (leonardo di-fucken-caprio sucked ass, the book was better but the direction was still great (in the movie))
* spaceballs (the funny star wars spoof)
* sliding doors
* amelie
* the son's room (this italian dendy film, was heaps good though considering [i had to sit there reading subtitles the whole time])

that is all i can think of at the moment. not in any order, i probably have another million i love but i cant think of em atm.

jenster

ahhhh movies are my life! (sad i know...) i've been missing them so much during this bloody hsc lead up. such great movies you've all said...
don't forget
The Labyrinth
Gone in 60 Secs (the re-make)
Half-baked
Wayne's World (1&2)
[girl]
Bill & Ted's; Excellent Adventure
AND Bogus Journey

rah! there are just too many to name. i pretty much love every movie ever made so i have a looooong list...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Some pretty good movies being listed

Some of my faves:

- Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back
- Terminator 2
- Big Daddy
- Face/Off

lazychic

** hOnEy_mELdeW **
well i haven't been to da movies 4 ages!..been bizzay and stuff.. last movie i saw was "40 days 40 nites" :rolleyes: i'm not really into renting vids so if i miss it at the cinemas then yeh...unless i'm at friends or whatever.. well ma fave movies are...

- save the last dance
- lord of the rings
- the matrix
- a knights tale
- clueless :p
- airborne
- speed
- scary movie
- 5th element
- enemy of the state
- bad boys
- MIB (i haven't seen the 2nd one tho)

i'm not a big fan of horror..cos me scared!!! hehe.. but sometimes i watch it anyway..

- sixth sense
- what lies beneath
- bone collector

they're good! :D

btw how is american beauty a good movie?? :rolleyes:

lazychic

** hOnEy_mELdeW **
its weird! and its jus ewww... :p

but i mean no one in da movie is like real good lookin or whatever.. so its jus dumb! hehe :D

i wouldn't say its awesome or beautiful! :p

dissonance

but American beauty's message is that there can be beauty in everything, if you look hard enough. So, therefore...it has to be beautiful, even if you don't like it!

you can't really argue with that movie once you think about about it...but it doesn't really help you get motivated for the HSC. I remember watching it and then realising how absolutely meaningless the HSC is in relation to everything else in life....

Maybe I'll chuck a Lester, drop out of school now, get a job at McDonalds, smoke a little pot and start enjoying life again!

.....doesn't sound like such a bad idea does it;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)