Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Timey Wimey: Doctor Who discussion thread

HSC

Timey Wimey: Doctor Who discussion thread

Seeing as there is no discussion thread for the hit science fiction series, Doctor Who, I am starting one here.

I'll begin by asking who has watched the most recent Doctor Who episode, 'Under the Lake', and what were your thoughts on it? Personally, I thought it was an excellent episode and it shows that Doctor Who is returning to it's best after the shocking series of 2014.

HSC

Re: Timey Wimey: Doctor Who discussion thread

Not really a big fan but I've been watching on netflicky seems aight, I still can't take the doctor srs cause all I see is his Malcolm Tucker persona swearing and abusing ppl
    Business Studies : Legal Studies : English Advanced : Mathematics: Mod History : PDHPE : Failing Life [3U] : Christian Studies

"I'm not fat, I'm just bulking." - Buddha

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by AppleTea View Post
    Not really a big fan but I've been watching on netflicky seems aight, I still can't take the doctor srs cause all I see is his Malcolm Tucker persona swearing and abusing ppl
    Peter Capaldi is awesome in both roles. He pretty much does the same character for everything he does however.

HSC

The whole "Doctor dying" thing has been overdone to the point of being comparable to Nintendo's releases of the New Super Mario Bros. series.
    However, I was genuinely surprised this time, and there was no hint of a "fated prophecy" of the Doctor's death this time, so I think it's acceptable this time around.
    If I am a conic section, then my e = ∞

Just so we don't have this discussion in the future, my definition of the natural numbers includes 0.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Paradoxica View Post
    The whole "Doctor dying" thing has been overdone to the point of being comparable to Nintendo's releases of the New Super Mario Bros. series.
    However, I was genuinely surprised this time, and there was no hint of a "fated prophecy" of the Doctor's death this time, so I think it's acceptable this time around.
    We all know that he isn't going to die however as the BBC wouldn't end the little moneymaker which is Doctor Who now.

a bedroom philosopher Blue Suede's Avatar
    HSC

Love Dr Who so much. Under the Lake was creepy and I'm looking forward to the next episode but I hope this whole season isn't a bunch of double episodes. Moffat is a good showrunner but sometimes lets his ego get in the way and goes a little OTT with some of the concepts.

Still pissed off about Danny Pink.

The Master coming back as Missy is SO SO GOOD. The character of Missy being equal parts awful, victorian grandmother, and pure psycho is great, and the whole best friend/arch enemy dynamic is brilliantly played between them in a way I don't think would have worked if you had a younger actor doing the role.

No one is going to give you the education you need to overthrow them.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Suede View Post
    Love Dr Who so much. Under the Lake was creepy and I'm looking forward to the next episode but I hope this whole season isn't a bunch of double episodes. Moffat is a good showrunner but sometimes lets his ego get in the way and goes a little OTT with some of the concepts.

Still pissed off about Danny Pink.

The Master coming back as Missy is SO SO GOOD. The character of Missy being equal parts awful, victorian grandmother, and pure psycho is great, and the whole best friend/arch enemy dynamic is brilliantly played between them in a way I don't think would have worked if you had a younger actor doing the role.
    Russel T Davies was more of a pure sci-fi writer (although technically, Doctor Who does fit into the genre of science fantasy) whereas Mofffat is more apt to experiment with more fantasy elements (stuff which isn't possible in the future).

The trees episode from last season was appalling in the fact that it made little sense and is impossible in the first place.

HSC

And... of course the fangirl was killed off. Dammit Toby.

Just so we don't have this discussion in the future, my definition of the natural numbers includes 0.

HSC

And... of course the fangirl was killed off. Dammit Toby.
    Have you already seen Before the Flood? I'm watching it tonight so don't tell me.

HSC

I watched Before the Flood and is it was awesome. Who likes the look of the next Doctor Who episode, The Girl Who Died?

HSC

The last two (the Girl that Died and the Woman that Lived) were cheesey although they were very enjoyable.
    Prelim 2017: 3U English | 2U Maths | Economics | Legal Studies | SOR1 | Modern History
    ATAR Aim: 90.00
    Course Aim: Commerce @ UNSW

HSC

Doctor Who is on tonight at 7:40pm on ABC 1. Yah.
    Prelim 2017: 3U English | 2U Maths | Economics | Legal Studies | SOR1 | Modern History

HSC

Creepy ending.

HSC

Any of you going to the convention this weekend in Sydney? I'm getting a photo with Peter Capaldi omg still can't believe it

HSC

I wish send us pics pls

HSC

I wish send us pics pls
    Will do.
    I had a photo op with Billie Piper too but she cancelled at the last minute, Ingrid Oliver is coming instead. I still got a refund though :/

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by mcchicken View Post
    Will do.
    I had a photo op with Billie Piper too but she cancelled at the last minute, Ingrid Oliver is coming instead. I still got a refund though :/
    Enjoy yourself! That sounds awesome, mcchicken.
    mcchicken likes this.

HSC

Omg guys! So the picture with Capaldi was so cool, he was sooo nice (obviously) haha and you had like 20 seconds to have a convo with him after the picture and the line wasn't that long, it was very well organised. There was a Q&A panel with him, Moffat and Ingrid Oliver but it was kind of annoying because the people walking around the crowd with mics only let mainly kids ask questions so they asked a lot of boring questions. One person asked when Susan/Ian/Cpt Jack/other faves would come back and Moffat gave his usual 'when the story is right' answer. There was other things to do around the hall in between those sessions, like they had a display with heaps of costumes from the show, Clara's bedroom set, a fake snow machine to take photos under, a giant lego TARDIS and a few monsters. Pictures are all on the bf's camera so I'll share some later tonight.

HSC

Omg guys! So the picture with Capaldi was so cool, he was sooo nice (obviously) haha and you had like 20 seconds to have a convo with him after the picture and the line wasn't that long, it was very well organised. There was a Q&A panel with him, Moffat and Ingrid Oliver but it was kind of annoying because the people walking around the crowd with mics only let mainly kids ask questions so they asked a lot of boring questions. One person asked when Susan/Ian/Cpt Jack/other faves would come back and Moffat gave his usual 'when the story is right' answer. There was other things to do around the hall in between those sessions, like they had a display with heaps of costumes from the show, Clara's bedroom set, a fake snow machine to take photos under, a giant lego TARDIS and a few monsters. Pictures are all on the bf's camera so I'll share some later tonight.
    That does sound good. Did you watch the latest episode of Doctor Who, Face the Raven?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Kolmias View Post
    That does sound good. Did you watch the latest episode of Doctor Who, Face the Raven?
    I literally just watched it and came straight here to say
    OMFG I AM DEAD
    I'm not sure what the rules regarding spoilers on BoS are though :/

HSC

I literally just watched it and came straight here to say
    OMFG I AM DEAD
    I'm not sure what the rules regarding spoilers on BoS are though :/
    The next episode is apparently featuring only the Doctor and a monster

HSC

The next episode is apparently featuring only the Doctor and a monster
    Yeah I saw the little teaser for it, he looks alone and lost with some random thing chasing him.

Spoiler (rollover to view):
    Although Amy was always my fave companion, Clara had really grown on me so I'm super sad But she was the longest running companion in the reboot so I guess it was inevitable. I have a theory that she'll be returning in the season finale maybe as a different version.

But omg I can't wait for River to return at Christmas!

HSC

Yeah I saw the little teaser for it, he looks alone and lost with some random thing chasing him.

Although Amy was always my fave companion, Clara had really grown on me so I'm super sad But she was the longest running companion in the reboot so I guess it was inevitable. I have a theory that she'll be returning in the season finale maybe as a different version.

But omg I can't wait for River to return at Christmas!
    I must be one of the few Whovians that finds River to be annoying and she seems fake as well.

HSC

I must be one of the few Whovians that finds River to be annoying and she seems fake as well.
    Oh I never got that impression, but I feel like her character is sort of convoluted as well. Like if you try and map out her entire life year by year it gets kind of weird.... like they kidnapped her then raised her in Florida? Then let her run off on her own (as Mels) and then kill the Doctor, god knows how many years later? I think in trying to make her so complex and fascinating they kind of overdid it, but I love her so I overlook it lol.

Similarly, it would have been so easy for them to make Clara's death so massive and make it this big plotline with the Impossible Girl and stuff - so I really like how her end was small and personal. Although tbh I wish Rigsy was in real danger because I don't like that she died for nothing at all, it would've been better if she had at least died to save a father. For me, at least lol.
    Kolmias likes this.

HSC

Spent yesterday afternoon watching Tardis Archives.

https://m.youtube.com/user/TARDISArchives
    mcchicken likes this.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information