Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Theatre Thread!

HSC

Re: Theatre Thread!

Kinda thought Phantom was a little overrated.

Not much of a fan of musicals though. And having seen it before, I was waiting for the hectic chandelier falling, but the night that we saw it, it just kinda dangled down really slowly. The curtains closed before it had even hit the ground. Major fuck up, i think.
    Advanced English//Extension 1//Extension 2//Drama//Music 2//Visual Art

ATAR 2009 = 94.35

HSCya Later.

HSC

It was thr first production id seen of it so i was pretty impressed but yeah chandelier crach wouldve been cool...
    And in the morning it was morning and I was still alive.

I SHOULD BE STUDYING.

HSC
    N/A

Second time I saw Priscilla, the mirror cover in lightbulbs got caught in the curtain and smashed on the stage. They had to restart the show.

HSC
    N/A

I believe Avenue Q has now opened in Sydney. Anyone seen it yet? Or going to see it?

HSC

Saw it in New York with the fam (we were GIVEN tickets. by a do-gooding stranger. a little creepy, but made our holiday) and it was amazingly funny.
    Advanced English//Extension 1//Extension 2//Drama//Music 2//Visual Art

ATAR 2009 = 94.35

HSCya Later.

HSC

six demon bag, I'm a subscriber at STC and earlier this year, they emailed all youth subscribers about the Youth Advisory Panel initiative. I applied and I got it! If you're interested, the application asked about my opinions about STC, what I would like changed, and also any previous (creative) experience I had that might make me worthwhile to have on the team.

HSC

To any theatre buffs on BOS, I have a free ticket to another STC YAP event happening tomorrow night (7pm, Monday, 17 August): Once and for all we're gonna tell you who we are so shut up and listen | Facebook. Check the details and if you're free to come along and have fun with the rest of the yappies, PM me with your mobile number and I'll call you right back.

That said, I do only have one spare ticket, but if you're still interested in coming, you can buy your ticket here: Once and for all.... It's specially discounted at $20 with no transaction fees (which always annoy me since they might be as much as a quarter of the ticket cost itself) since this is a YAP event. There'll be an FBi DJ, free food and drinks after and a chance to meet the actors just to vent/rave about the play afterwards.

Plus, I would love to meet all the other theatre buffs on BOS!
    Last edited by jaimebien; 16 Aug 2009 at 5:55 PM.

HSC

I can't wait to see Avenue Q! Hopefully I'll get to go when my damn trials end.

I SHOULD BE STUDYING.

Executive Member
    HSC

seeing 'under ice' at griffin tonight. will report back.

HSC
    N/A

Wollongong Uni will be putting on Angels in America up at PACT in late October. If you get the chance, go. It's going to be epic.

Executive Member
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Absolutezero View Post
    Wollongong Uni will be putting on Angels in America up at PACT in late October. If you get the chance, go. It's going to be epic.
    because you're in it?

btw, under ice was very good. comedy at its confusing darkest.

HSC
    N/A

I won't be in it, though I may be doing technical stuff for it. But regardless, the directors are great visionaries, and its going to be some amazing stuff they create.

HSC

Late October is when douchebag HSC starts i shall try anyway!

I SHOULD BE STUDYING.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Absolutezero View Post
    Angels in America! That sounds great! I watched the mini-series that came out a while ago and loved it.

HSC
    N/A

I missed the miniseries when it was on, though I've heard really good things about it.

HSC

Angels in America introduced me to Ben Shenkman, who was so vulnerable and adorable at the same time. I was so excited when he recently guest starred on Burn Notice, because he was able to bring a duality--underneath his character's boyish likeabibility was a danger that didn't lurk around, but threatened to unleash anytime-- to his performance, just as he did in Angels in America. Also, this is one of the few things I've actually liked Meryl Streep in. (And I've seen a lot of her work, including most of her Oscar-nominated performances.) You can probably get the DVD on eBay at a good price--I got mine at $12 including postage.

I might actually make the trip to Wollongong to watch the play. Its treatment of biblical mythology was very refreshing and exciting. If you've watched the latest season of Supernatural, you might know what I mean--I like to think that Angels in America was the prelude to the religious mythological subversion on Supernatural.

As for Once and for all, it was a great success! The theatre as the wharf had 200 seats, and we filled almost all of them. (The weekend before, only 20 tickets had been sold.) But seriously you guys, what was going on? No one was interested in the free ticket. But I sorta understood. Would I be correct in saying that Year 12 trials got in the way? I only realised that shortly before the play, but we have 3 high school students on the panel, none of whom seemed to realise that important event before we set the date for the play.

Also, sure, the premise wasn't that appealing. But once I watched it, I really enjoyed it. It wasn't so much a play about 13 teenagers, than an ensemble performance by 13 people about adolescence. There wasn't really a plot too, but there was something quite magical about the way they drew me in without very many words. One young actress in particular was outstanding--she didn't have very many lines, but her performance really spoke to me.
    Last edited by jaimebien; 21 Aug 2009 at 10:13 PM.

HSC

I'm going to see once and for all next friday night and im really looking forward to it. I haven't really seen anything like it (how it sounds anyway).
    now i want to find angels in america haha.

I SHOULD BE STUDYING.

HSC
    N/A

I might actually make the trip to Wollongong to watch the play.
    It's by UOW, but it's actually on at PACT Theatre in Erskinville, up in Sydney. Dunno whether that makes it easier or harder for you...

But seriously you guys, what was going on? No one was interested in the free ticket.
    I was. But I had no real way to get there, or make it back to uni for my class the next day.

HSC

Ah, I see. Erskinville is actually easier to get to! Looking forward to it! Riverside Theatre in Parramatta recently produced part one of the play. I didn't actually get a chance to see it, so I settled for the TV show. And I'm glad I did.

It's a shame you couldn't go, but I totally understand. Mark this down for your calendar though!: Sometime towards the end of this year, we're organising a youth launch for the 2010 STC program and/or the greening of the wharf. Cate Blanchett and Andrew Upton will be there, so I'm really looking forward to that. It's going to be very informal and just for youths. I have to say, I'm still really excited about meeting her, because I've never had a chance before, even though I've sat next to Andrew in one of the previous panel meetings.

Speaking of Cate, a final leg of A Streetcar Named Desire tickets have been released. Heads up to anyone who missed out on getting tickets before.

HSC

Can't seem to find any info on the PACT Theatre website. So...I guess I'll have to wait a bit before tickets are released?

HSC
    N/A

Yeah, because they're just hosting it, it might not be on the website til much closer to the date. I'll try and post details when I have them though.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by jaimebien View Post
    Ah, I see. Erskinville is actually easier to get to! Looking forward to it! Riverside Theatre in Parramatta recently produced part one of the play. I didn't actually get a chance to see it, so I settled for the TV show. And I'm glad I did.

It's a shame you couldn't go, but I totally understand. Mark this down for your calendar though!: Sometime towards the end of this year, we're organising a youth launch for the 2010 STC program and/or the greening of the wharf. Cate Blanchett and Andrew Upton will be there, so I'm really looking forward to that. It's going to be very informal and just for youths. I have to say, I'm still really excited about meeting her, because I've never had a chance before, even though I've sat next to Andrew in one of the previous panel meetings.

Speaking of Cate, a final leg of A Streetcar Named Desire tickets have been released. Heads up to anyone who missed out on getting tickets before.
    Will the date end up on the YAP facebook group or STC website?
    I am so so so there.

I SHOULD BE STUDYING.

HSC

By the way, that would be awesome to sit next to Andrew Upton aswell! haha. I think he's wonderful and I'm quite sure I'm a little bit in love with his wife - very excited for Streetcar

I SHOULD BE STUDYING.

HSC

It'll definitely be up on the YAP facebook group. We'll be starting to plan for it, so there'll be more details soon-ish.

Yes, it was very cool to sit next to Andrew Upton. He was really intelligent but really funny as well. There wasn't any diva attitude that you get from other writers sometimes. In fact, he was strikingly normal and very pleasant to be around. Have you seen anything by Andrew Upton? I confess I haven't, though I've seen more of Cate's films. My aboslute 10/10 favourite is Heaven, which was written by the late Krzysztof Kieslowski.
    Last edited by jaimebien; 22 Aug 2009 at 4:50 PM.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by pman View Post
    can you get a running of Andrew lloyd webbers phantom of the opera, i need to see that b4 the HSC
    This isn't entire relevant to pman's question, but I just found out that at the STC archive, they have a video recording of every STC play, which is pretty awesome I think. I gotta make a trip down there one of these days (it's free and open to anyone in the public) and watch some of the plays I missed out on seeing before.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information