Theatre Thread! (2 Viewers)

six demon bag

HSC
we have categories for music, movies and television but none for theatre! this be a place for discussion & reviews of plays and anything else you'd like to put in here!

Reactions: x1

johony

HSC
i used to see stuff at griffin theatre pretty often when i was an ambassador, but not anymore since i dont have the time or the people to go with anymore.

keen to see 'a streetcar named desire' with cate blanchett once it opens at the stc though

Uncle

Banned
HSC
yes i am theatrical performer.
i make many music.
very indeed splendid' audence throw money at my feet not tomato at my face like wat happemneing to u all'.
make your piccolo and ram up youre asshol

six demon bag

HSC
i used to see stuff at griffin theatre pretty often when i was an ambassador, but not anymore since i dont have the time or the people to go with anymore.

keen to see 'a streetcar named desire' with cate blanchett once it opens at the stc though
im on the wating list for a streetcar ticket. i saw poor boy the other day twas fantastic!

keep it alive, guys?? haha

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
i used to see stuff at griffin theatre
I saw there cross show production with STC 'Concussion' which was pretty good.

Currently, I'm performing in RENT. We've only got four shows left. :(

A bunch of us are planning on seeing Avenue Q when it hits Sydney. We couldn't justify going to Melbourne, as we already did that for Wicked.

And that's my theatre news. :D

six demon bag

HSC
Where are you performing Rent? Tis one of my favourites! Who are you playing?

I'm going to go see The City at STC on Wednesday. it's supposed to be pretty good.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I'm playing Roger, which is pretty cool. We've got a show on Wednesday, Friday, and two on Saturday. It's on roughly an hours drive south from Sydney. If you're interested I can PM you with details.

I haven't heard much about The City, although from the little I've read on it, it seems alright.

johony

HSC
Last edited:

jaimebien

HSC
hah, a waiting list? christ. well it is the stc and it does have cate blanchett in it..
johony, Not sure if you know this, but they recently added a few more shoes to the Sydney run for A Streetcar Named Desire. It sold out soon enough though.

I'm on the Sydney Theatre Company's Youth Advisory Panel at the moment and we're trying to come up with new ideas to get more young Australians into theatre. We even have a Facebook group!--http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=112339713312. Anyway, we're organising a play in August called Once and for All We're Gonna Tell You Who We Are So Shut Up And Listen (see the trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irL5XeAikxw). There'll be discounted tickets available through the YAP.

Absolutezero, there's a discussion going on our Facebook page about The City--http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=112339713312&topic=9646.

Last edited:

johony

HSC
does anyone feel that theatre is too inaccessible to the youth in this city? not only in terms of locations and pricing, but perhaps in terms of the plays themselves. one might consider there are stigmas as well.

jaimebien

HSC
johony, Not sure if you know this, but they recently added a few more shoes to the Sydney run for A Streetcar Named Desire. It sold out soon enough though.
Whoops! Freudian slip there! Haha. My sister just noticed it and that just made my evening.

does anyone feel that theatre is too inaccessible to the youth in this city? not only in terms of locations and pricing, but perhaps in terms of the plays themselves. one might consider there are stigmas as well.
johony, that's something the YAP really has to work on. Cate's husband, Andrew Upton, sat in on one of our previous meetings (in fact, I sat next to him!) and he said that the limited curriculum of theatre in schools (where play = Shakespeare almost exclusively) are largely responsible for our attitudes towards theatre in general.

In terms of location, well...some places, like the Sydney Opera House, are easy to find and close enough to the city. STC is a bit harder to find, but once you know the way, it's easier. At the moment, STC has free buses for matinees.

In terms of pricing, did you know that as a youth, you can get discounted tickets? In fact, most plays and literary events I go to cost $20-$30 because of the "under 30" discount. At regular prices, they'd cost around $60-$80. So, the way I see it is, I'd better get the maximum value out of these discounts before the big three-zero.

But you also mentioned stigmas. To be honest, no, I'm not bothered by that, nor do I feel the perceived stigma. Mostly because I'm used to not listening to mainstream music and I'm used to being one of the few people I know who watches outside mainstream cinema. But no, I honestly don't think people think less of me for going to the theatre. At worst, it'd be, "Oh, what play is that? I haven't heard of it."

In fact, in high school, I used to have to go to plays alone because most people I knew didn't go to theatre. The fact is, I think most non-arty people are intimidated by the theatre. In fact, I'm proudly arty farty and the first time I went to a real play (as in, a proper theatre production, as opposed to an amateur or student production), that was one of the Beckett plays in the Sydney Festival a few years ago, I was scared--mostly because I was the single Asian girl in a crowd of older white Australians.

Now, my best friend, my sister and I have a subscription to STC and I always have company when I go. I used to wish that I could have a "theatre club" and I could organise theatre nights so that my other friends could go to plays with good company and have a good night out. Maybe other BOS-ers would be interested?

Anyway, I think STC's initiative of reaching out to youth and getting this YAP together is in the right direction. I'm also very excited about meeting Cate Blanchett.

Last edited:

johony

HSC
johony, that's something the YAP really has to work on. Cate's husband, Andrew Upton, sat in on one of our previous meetings (in fact, I sat next to him!) and he said that the limited curriculum of theatre in schools (where play = Shakespeare almost exclusively) are largely responsible for our attitudes towards theatre in general.
not only because of the fact that only Shakespeare is probably the only plays being taught in high schools, but the way it is taught too. Shakespeare is taught in an extremely mundane fashion in schools (i find it incredibly dull at times too), and that fosters negative attitudes.

understandably, some english teachers may be adverse to the idea of bringing the physicality and excitement back into Shakespeare.

In terms of location, well...some places, like the Sydney Opera House, are easy to find and close enough to the city. STC is a bit harder to find, but once you know the way, it's easier. At the moment, STC has free buses for matinees.
it might be a good idea once in awhile, to bring out shows to the outer suburbs in sydney. not sure how viable this would be though.

In terms of pricing, did you know that as a youth, you can get discounted tickets? In fact, most plays and literary events I go to cost $20-$30 because of the "under 30" discount. At regular prices, they'd cost around $60-$80. So, the way I see it is, I'd better get the maximum value out of these discounts before the big three-zero.
i don't know if the general youth see the worth in seeing theatre over say, a movie. perhaps bribe them first and then get them hooked.

But you also mentioned stigmas. To be honest, no, I'm not bothered by that, nor do I feel the perceived stigma. Mostly because I'm used to not listening to mainstream music and I'm used to being one of the few people I know who watches outside mainstream cinema. But no, I honestly don't think people think less of me for going to the theatre. At worst, it'd be, "Oh, what play is that? I haven't heard of it."
stigmas probably reflect males more. i'm not going to tell the majority of my friends at school (i go to a single sex school) that i saw a great play on the weekend or i want to see x play sometime. at best, theatre amongst teenage males is generally seen as a poofy, effeminate pursuit/interest.

however, as you probably know, this is really not so true.

In fact, in high school, I used to have to go to plays alone because most people I knew didn't go to theatre. The fact is, I think most non-arty people are intimidated by the theatre. In fact, I'm proudly arty farty and the first time I went to a real play (as in, a proper theatre production, as opposed to an amateur or student production), that was one of the Beckett plays in the Sydney Festival a few years ago, I was scared--mostly because I was the single Asian girl in a crowd of older white Australians.
i found my first theatre experience pretty daunting as well. old audience, asian male by his self second last row.

i'm surprised STC don't have an ambassador program similar to Griffin's. i mean this way you can get like-minded people together, who perhaps unalienate a wide range of people who are perhaps into theatre.

Now, my best friend, my sister and I have a subscription to STC and I always have company when I go. I used to wish that I could have a "theatre club" and I could organise theatre nights so that my other friends could go to plays with good company and have a good night out. Maybe other BOS-ers would be interested?

Anyway, I think STC's initiative of reaching out to youth and getting this YAP together is in the right direction. I'm also very excited about meeting Cate Blanchett.
a big theatre meet sounds good! perhaps organise a viewing, which would have a social function afterwards with a meet and greet with the other members of the audience, directors, or cate or whatever. something that would pull in first timers or anyone who perhaps doesn't go very often. anything to make the theatre experience a bit more comfortable and welcoming really.

in terms of a bos one, we'll see if anyone is interested..

stc really should be pushing towards youth-focused programs if they are to exist in 10-20 years time.

kawaiinlove said:
Billy Elliot was overrated. Imo. That is all.
musicals =/= theatre

six demon bag

HSC
How was it?
I missed it! I read the ticket wrong and turned up half an hour late because I'm an idiot. It's ok though because they exchanged my ticket and I'm going to see it this Wednesday :) I'll let you know how it is.

I would love to see RENT but I wouldn't ba able to make it there - don't have a liscence haha. Let me know how it goes!

six demon bag

HSC

I'm on the Sydney Theatre Company's Youth Advisory Panel at the moment and we're trying to come up with new ideas to get more young Australians into theatre. We even have a Facebook group!--http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=112339713312. Anyway, we're organising a play in August called Once and for All We're Gonna Tell You Who We Are So Shut Up And Listen (see the trailer here: YouTube - once and for all we're gonna tell you who we are so shut up). There'll be discounted tickets available through the YAP.

Absolutezero, there's a discussion going on our Facebook page about The City--http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=112339713312&topic=9646.
Ahh! I've been waiting to see that play. That's awesome you're on the youth advisory panel. How did you get to do that?

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
wow, i was just thinking that there should be a theatre thread and BANG.

I have a subscription to the Ensemble (artistic director is my friend's grandma..saaaweeet!) and they really put on some fantastic plays. I just saw 'Let the Sunshine' by David Williamson and it was amazingly good.

Did anybody see 'Floating' at the Opera House? That was great too. I think it was Hoipolloi who did it.

I'm seeing Streetcar! Woo! My drama teacher bought us all tix at the beginning of the year. I'm mega excited. Such a great play, and Cate!

Absolutezero- I swear I know someone in your cast. I got a message from a friend of mine who asked me if I wanted to audition. Her names Clare McCann. Could be the wrong production?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Absolutezero- I swear I know someone in your cast. I got a message from a friend of mine who asked me if I wanted to audition. Her names Clare McCann. Could be the wrong production?
Must be the wrong production as I don't recognise the name. There are at least two others I know of that are performing around July though. So there's a good chance its one of those. :) It's quite popular this year.

pman

Banned
HSC
can you get a running of Andrew lloyd webbers phantom of the opera, i need to see that b4 the HSC

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Phantom was on less than a year ago. It's highly unlikely you'll find a professional production of it nearby.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)