Volunteering (1 Viewer)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Try contacting your local council. Join the youth committee. Looks great on your resume. ;)

T

tactic

I use to volunteer for events... it was to hard to get a job so i just ended up working for free doing sites/setups etc.. some of the events i worked at were pretty fun and its worth while doing

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
i did call my councill.. i asked at the hospital but they said that they dont take under 18s incase we sue them later and we dont know the legal stuff..
Originally posted by tactic
I use to volunteer for events... it was to hard to get a job so i just ended up working for free doing sites/setups etc.. some of the events i worked at were pretty fun and its worth while doing
tactic, can u give me some of the place u worked for? :)

HSC
That's what happened to me! My school had to do community service and yr 10 has to do 10 hrs of it. I tried looking for work through charities but they are all for anyone over 18. So at the moment no one in yr 10 has bothered to do it yet.
any advice for community service to do in ten hours so the teachers wouldn't go berserk at all of us?
Originally posted by Bimbo
Try looking on www.volunteersearch.gov.au :)
looked there already and most of them are in the north shore and the eastern suburbs of sydney. i don't want to travel THAT far.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
true true... theyre all in the northern subs

umm i checked out red cross and they have like a'homework room' somwhere in parra... i might sign up for that since i go past there on the way home from school...

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
since ive just turned 18, i can do some of the stuff you guys have been excluded from 'coz of your age, and after the hsc i will be looking at doing some volunteer work. im looking at doing occupational therapy, and if you dont get in on your uai you need to produce evidence of work experience youve done, and i think this might be a good way to do that. im looking at prob a local hospital or something, so can anyone tell me what sorta stuff that involves? i dont want to be one of those old 'pink ladies' or whatever they call themselves, is there anything else that they let you do?

crazylilmonkee

HSC
voluntry work is mad! i helped at this food fest once promoting recycling facilities and stuff like that but it only happens once a year.. and then recently i did e-flyers for this youth organisation.. definately try some youth committee with ur council..

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
theres a couple of charities seeking volunteers
bandanna day
bonnie bear baby day
and breast cancer [grr.. thats on the day of HSC ext 2 and mathematics exam :chainsaw:]

i think theyre looking for peopel to sell merchandise

Agent Z

HSC
Hey everyone....I volunteer at the Anglican Retirement Villages on Sunday from 1:30 till 4....which is pretty awesome. The anglican Retirement Village is in Castle Hill...If you want to inquire call bev wilson on:

9634 0578

I work with the diversional therapist there. This is what I do on a typical sunday

1:30 - 2:00 - Walking Group (We just push people around in wheel chairs to the duck pond and feed the ducks)

2:00 - 2:30 - Discussion Group (Just sit in a big circle and talk about random stuff)

2:30 - 3:00 - Set up for Bingo (Whilst the residents have there afternoon tea)

3:00 - 4:00 - Call out the numbers for bingo

well its pretty awesome...and i strongly recommend it. You dont have to work with teh diversional therapist...there are multiple jobs you are able to do, such as: One-to-One basis, Cleaning After Activities etc. etc.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
We have to do volunteer work at our school too. 10 hours in yr 9, 10 hours in yr 10, 5 in year 11 and 5 in year 12.

Everytime I did it at an Adult Learning Centre, in 9 & 10 I just did tea and coffee and set up teaching stuff, but cos they knew me in 11 & 12 I got to help with parts of lessons (not actually teaching, but teachers aide type of thing).

Agent Z

HSC
Originally posted by Ms 12
We have to do volunteer work at our school too. 10 hours in yr 9, 10 hours in yr 10, 5 in year 11 and 5 in year 12.

Everytime I did it at an Adult Learning Centre, in 9 & 10 I just did tea and coffee and set up teaching stuff, but cos they knew me in 11 & 12 I got to help with parts of lessons (not actually teaching, but teachers aide type of thing).
what schools that? That sounds good

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)