Moving out post-hsc (1 Viewer)

killyridols

HSC
anyone else here planning on doing this?
or people who have done this already?
i want to move out next year, but at the same time i want to not have to eat mee goreng every day, be able to afford my bikram yoga classes and have money for going out etc.
is it possible to move out of home and still be able to have little luxuries? (and i don't want to live in a rented room either, i want to live in my own place)
i'm going to move out with the bouf and we would prefer something with 2 bedrooms so he can have his own space for his band.

for anyone here who has managed to balance uni and live comfortably in their own place at the same time- how do you do it?
i don't really care how i make the money. i'll do anything besides prostitute myself.
to maintain this kind of lifestyle, i think i'll need to make around 400 dollars a week. (well i'd like to make around that much). is this a ridiculous expectation? i'll be going to uni part time, so i'll have more time to work.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
You shouldn't need to rent out your own house/apartment as a uni student. There are people working full time (white collar) that lives in shared houses. Most of the time it's the best solution if you want to live near or at the city.

The amount of money you would need really depends on which suburb you're interested in and how your lifestyle is. Around sydney university for example, a 2 bedroom house/apartment can easily cost more than $400 per week without extra bills. If you're willing to share a house, a room should cost less than $200 with all bills included.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
if you're planning to move really close to uni (like on campus or in an adjacent suburb) then consider sellling your car, if you have one - almost everything you need will be within walking distance and anything that isnt would be perfectly accessible by public transport. you'll get some quick extra money by selling it and you'd no longer have to worry about paying rego and insurance and all that crap on something you wouldnt need much anyway.

also you will need a job. maybe even two. if you're studying full time this may be hard to manage but if you can get hold of a job that pays well and use your money carefully, you should be okay. Bear in mind that you will need at least 200 bucks a week to cover rent + groceries, plus funding for your social life, paying uni expenses, bla bla bla.

its not impossible but it is hard. you might want to check out centrelink and see whether you can get youth allowance etc. you WILL need a job though, no getting around that.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Yeah, I was wondering, if you wanted to move into share housing close to uni (USYD), how much should you save up beforehand? Rent I've looked around and it's about $200/week tops that I've seen so far. I'm hoping to accumulate at least $5,000 because during semester time if I work at the rate I am now, I will not earn enough to cover rent and will need to inevitably take out of savings.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i've been thinking about the same thing 'cause i want to move out, like, this afternoon... i'd say yeah you'd need about 5 grand at least...coz you have to pay a bond which can be heaps of money depending on the rent, and lost of places want you to pay your rent in advance, not to mention you might need to fork out money to shift your furniture (if the house isnt furnished) or to have your stuff put in storage (if this is a permanent move from home). so yeah, as much money as you can manage would be good.

shona1990

HSC
My boyfriend and I were planning to do that this year, while i'm on my gap year working full time. He's going to be doing year 11 during that time through distance and work too, so we should have heaps of money. I was scared that when I do start uni and he'll be doing year 12, things will get a lot more tough. We'd like our own place (studio/one bedroom apt), which will be easy enough when we're working, but we would like to remain around mosman/neutral bay/north shore/northern beaches area, (one bedroom apts around 200-300 +bills etc/week.) Blah, I'm kinda worried it won't work out when we're both studying full time and trying to work. I suppose it'd be okay sharing a 2 bedroom apt, when I start uni, I just don't want peoples annoying habits killing us.

~kiki

HSC
as much as I would like to move out of home myself, I feel that you should use the opportunity you have during your 3/4 years at uni to mooch off your parents for accomodation and food whilst saving up for travel / deposit on apartment etc... After uni, you won't have any more excuse for your parents to support you and it becomes much more difficult to save money to reach future goals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)