Rules for Staff (1 Viewer)

kow_dude

HSC
I got ripped off at Dymocks (Town Hall) today. I gave two pieces of large cardboard (along with other items) to the checkout and it was until i got to the station i realised on the receipt that the guy charged me for three pieces of cardboard ($3.20 each). I don't usually check the receipt every time i buy something.

So for checkout staff:
1. Please know how to count.

CieL

HSC
I sorta agree with that..
But to tackle the root of the problem.. can the HR staff hire more intellectually capable people as front end employees?

I've had to train several people throughout these months on the registers.. and DAMN ARE THEY STUPID.

Most frustrating retard was someone who also couldnt count.. if you can NOT count, don't get them to handle money.. I had to watch every second of his moves.. the retard can only count in 10c pieces because they're in units of ones.. instead of giving people the right cash out, he types 50c and gives them $50. Well.. he wanted to do that until I stopped him and told him to type another two zeros into the equation.. fucking retard.. some customers suddenly find the correct change after you've hit ENTER, and he doesn't know how to add it onto the change to give them whole notes.. or dollar coins..

I've got so much to rant about about that retard..

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
If your serving coffee you should be awake. Don't look like your sleepier then me. Not really an issue I always find that funny.

Nashie

Ace up my sleeve
HSC
For staff at the Donut King in the plaza where I work (all like 15);
If the four of you are standing in one corner a metre from the counter and a guy wearing a fluro green shirt walks up, don't wait 3 minutes and then come over and be all "have you been served?" and be shocked when i say no. Seriously the shirt i was wear (advertising interest free terms) was a flourescent green long sleved button up shirt with a black tie that has fluro green writing, come on.

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
A Rule that should apply to all staff:

When a colleague/workmate of yours makes a mistake during work hours, don't yell it out or tell them on the spot, it's rude, embarrasses them, puts them on the spot and if the manager over hears....'deep shit'. pull them over to the side later and just let em know...poor new guy at my work got told off because he took the wrong order and manager heard another telling him..

Also, I've noticed a HUGE difference in the way I and others in my workplace have been trained to treat and talk to customers and the way in which I notice other staff from other shops treat people. Some staff literally do not care, you come to a food shop and stand there, and the person doesn't even look at you to say if you want something, it's just like..'yes?' or 'you right?'. Be a little more pleasant if possible, might incline someone to actually buy something..

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
rnitya_25 said:
Also, I've noticed a HUGE difference in the way I and others in my workplace have been trained to treat and talk to customers and the way in which I notice other staff from other shops treat people....
I totally second that.

(On a somewhat unrelated note, I wonder if it's training or an upbringing/personal history thing. If all you've ever known are attendants that don't care, then when you're in the position you'll think that's the norm.. I imagine that might be hard to 'train out' of someone.)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Skittled said:
I totally second that.

(On a somewhat unrelated note, I wonder if it's training or an upbringing/personal history thing. If all you've ever known are attendants that don't care, then when you're in the position you'll think that's the norm.. I imagine that might be hard to 'train out' of someone.)
i think it can just be a basic shitty personality thing sometimes...i mean, i pretty much hated my last job most of the time i was there and didn't give a shit about the customers and whether they were happy or not... but i at least ACTED happy and smiled and was polite to everybody. it's not that hard to do. unless you've come to work with a raging flu the day after your parents died or something there's not much excuse not to at least pretend you want to be there.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
Rules for Employees

i figured it'd only be fair that we have this. if we manage to stack up 1000+ posts on customers and employers, shouldn't we look in the mirror and find some faults in ourselves? after all, rights only come after responsbilities.

i'll start with a few:
- if you are committed to a shift, turn up to it punctually and don't complain. unless you have a doctor's certificate, and bring that in the next time you come to work.

- if you can't turn up to a shift, have the courtesy to ring (not text) your boss asap, explain yourself honestly and don't think your boss is a freaking moron.

- if you take a drink or something from your work, please pay for it, at discount rate at least. your boss is not running a charity, it's a business.

- if you turn up to work half spent, you might as well tell your boss you only want half the pay. just as you expect a payrise or rewards for good work, shouldn't you get penalised for not being up to scratch? it's a two way street.

let's see how far we can keep this going. love to see the enthusiasts from the other two threads be just as active in here.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Re: Rules for Employees

you lose!

reported for merging.

Last edited:

sXcGuRl69aU

I'M BREAKING LOLZ
HSC

if you work at 7-eleven, please use deodorant, you dirty smelly indian. nobody wants be hit by the foul stench of BO the second they enter your store.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
wuddie does have a point though.

If you're rostered on for open you MUST BE THERE ON TIME. I can't open the store by myself, and I can't stay closed just because you haven't bothered to turn up on time.
If you're rostered on over lunch be there on time. The reason you're rostered on is because we need you to be there to help.

Do the fucking cleaning properly. It is not the opening person's job to finish last night's cleaning. They have their own job to do without having to clean up your damn mess. Plus this is food you're dealing with, the store SMELLS if you don't clean it properly. If I can manage to clean properly and close the store on time while training someone to do the cash and with a newbie, so can you.

If there's a problem, tell someone so that it can be fixed. If you don't know the answer to a question ask me because I know.

One particular girl used to call up at 10am every tuesday (while the boss was in japan) and say she was sick and couldn't come in at 11am. Like fuck she was. Plus the late notice meant that we could never start the breaks on time, because nobody could make it into work in an hour. Luckily she's stopped doing that now.

But this is more bitching at the inadequacies of my fellow employees than anything else. I do forget that I've been at the store for much much much longer than them.

Pace_T

HSC

wuddie said:
i figured it'd only be fair that we have this. if we manage to stack up 1000+ posts on customers and employers, shouldn't we look in the mirror and find some faults in ourselves? after all, rights only come after responsbilities.

i'll start with a few:
- if you are committed to a shift, turn up to it punctually and don't complain. unless you have a doctor's certificate, and bring that in the next time you come to work.

- if you can't turn up to a shift, have the courtesy to ring (not text) your boss asap, explain yourself honestly and don't think your boss is a freaking moron.

- if you take a drink or something from your work, please pay for it, at discount rate at least. your boss is not running a charity, it's a business.

- if you turn up to work half spent, you might as well tell your boss you only want half the pay. just as you expect a payrise or rewards for good work, shouldn't you get penalised for not being up to scratch? it's a two way street.

let's see how far we can keep this going. love to see the enthusiasts from the other two threads be just as active in here.
i agree with everything in your post.

i hear so much bitching about fellow employees. my workplace is like a school, we all start and have our breaks at the same time and we all do the same work - its a very old fashioned job. i like it much better in that when some fucker decides not to come into work and gives late notice, noone really cares, there's like 400 other people working :D its like we dont have bosses.
but as for my last job (a small workplace), i hate it when managers can't roster shifts properly. they have a procedure to roster employees, but change it so many times there's no point in having one in the first place. and then they try to be your friend so they can call you up at the last minute and ask if you can come in. and you say your busy for legitimate reasons, but they beg you. fuck off mate kthx

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC

here's a few more, thanks for the good people who manage to see what their responsibilities are,

- just because you work there, doesn't mean you have the exclusive right to do whatever you want. ie, don't tell your friends to rock up at your work so you can have a chat, and whilst you're at it, act like you own the joint. this goes specificly for those who work at well-known stores/shops, maccas, big w, you name it. you're paid to do your job.

- mobile phones off/silent. this doesn't even need an explanation.

- if you decided to quit, have the balls to tell your boss so, don't just stop turning up and expect your boss to get the idea. how would you feel if someone told you they'd be at your place by a certain time, end up not turning up at all and not telling you why.

yet to see someone from the other threads to post here.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
AH yes we've had people decide to quit by not turning up. It's the worst thing you can do, you've just wasted all that time you spent working there because you can't get a reference from it now. Plus it seriously inconveniences everyone who has to try and cover your ass.
I had someone not turn up today. That was lovely, she was doing a day shift so we were down one person during morning prep AND lunchtime and it was 28 so it was pretty busy today. Grr.

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC

wuddie said:
here's a few more, thanks for the good people who manage to see what their responsibilities are,

- just because you work there, doesn't mean you have the exclusive right to do whatever you want. ie, don't tell your friends to rock up at your work so you can have a chat, and whilst you're at it, act like you own the joint. this goes specificly for those who work at well-known stores/shops, maccas, big w, you name it. you're paid to do your job.

- mobile phones off/silent. this doesn't even need an explanation.

- if you decided to quit, have the balls to tell your boss so, don't just stop turning up and expect your boss to get the idea. how would you feel if someone told you they'd be at your place by a certain time, end up not turning up at all and not telling you why.
I second everything you say. I've seen so many individuals just walk out of where i work and never bother to call and say they've quit..it's very unprofessional and doesn't give you a very good reference for your future. be sensible, your boss isn't going to kill you for quitting. with that type of behaviour in mind, he's probably going to be thankful you're quitting.

Another one from me, if you don't know the answer to something I ask you when I come to your shop, it's not going to kill you to ask someone who can tell you, don't make it so obvious that you're conjuring up bullshit. it makes you look stupid and deters me beyond all expression.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
TRY to get register orders right.

This is the place where the most mistakes happen, because something was misinterpreted or whatever. I don't like having to remake drinks because it takes time and customers get shitty. Repeat their order back to them, make sure it's right. If the blenders are all running loud, get them to speak up. Little things like this seriously reduce the number of complaints we get.

RTTTYTR

HSC
1) When there are customers to serve it is your job to serve them, not to talk to your friends.

2) It is irrelevant how your day has been or what is happening in your personal life, you are at work to work and achieve the job tasks, whether that be to serve the customers, or any other roles.

3) The customer or client is better than you in the work context, and it is not there problem to make you feel good, but rather your responsibility to meet their needs and wants.

4) If you are incompetent, then refer the customer to someone who can help them.

5) If you are in hospitality, don't expect a tip for standard service. Tips are a form of performance based pay that is earned by exceptional service.

6) Customers and superiors must be treated with respect, regardless of whether they respect you.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
RTTTYTR said:
5) If you are in hospitality, don't expect a tip for standard service. Tips are a form of performance based pay that is earned by exceptional service.
Ditto to that. At cafes when I'm at the counter paying, I'm occasionally pointed to the tip jar and told "That's for tips". That's incredibly crass, don't do it.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
if you are dealing with a customer, stop whatever you are doing at that point. that includes writing down stuff from the last customer or putting some other stuff away. look them in the eyes and listen attentively as if that's your girl/boyfriend speaking to you.

if a customer asks you something you don't know, don't palm them off to another staff. own the problem and find out the answer for them. how would you feel like it if you have to repeat yourself several times before you find out the answer?

talk to your customers politely. what is so hard about using words like 'please' and 'thank you'?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)