Work experience? (1 Viewer)

ItsColinoOo0o

HSC
I was just wondering if you actually needed specific skills to get a specific work experience job?

Like if you went into a restaurant for work experience do you need to know how to cook?

Lizakith

Go go gadget spleen!
HSC
ItsColinoOo0o said:
I was just wondering if you actually needed specific skills to get a specific work experience job?

Like if you went into a restaurant for work experience do you need to know how to cook?
you cant do work experience as a chef. they might MIGHT let you do prep work or washing dishes or something for work exp.

~kiki

HSC
Do you mean like... that week of work experience in Year 10? Because, in that case the answer is no, you don't need any prior experience. Basically you are job shadowing... getting a feel for what a future career in that profession will feel like. Try hotels maybe? I know one of my friends sisters did her work experience at a hotel, and they set her to work making big batches of brownies, and different tarts and things. Obviously, you're not going to be an accomplished chef by the end of the week, and I guess, job shadowing a chef is a little tricky because a working kitchen is so fastpaced, but I suggest you phone around to different kitchens and hotels and see what happens. Theres no harm in asking :).

* I suggest, if restaurants won't take you, maybe try the catering college in Manly (if your from the northern beaches? )... They'll probably have some final year students for you to job shadow.

CieL

HSC
It depends on what you actually want to gain experience in.

When you say, "want to work in a restuaurant", did you mean in the kitchen? I thought you would of wanted to do table waiting or something..

If it's the kitchen, most people do an apprenticeship.. or else the other chefs start up as a kitchen-hand.. most of our kitchenhands [people who wash plates n clean up shit] got to chop some vegies n shit and a bit of sauce stirring when they showed interested in become a chef..

If it's the yr10 one....................... not sure, I'm sure they'd let you chop a few things here a there, or add some topping/garnishes..

Roguedeth

HSC
Yr 10 work experience wont allow you to actually cook a meal or anything but you will be doing prep/cleaning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)