Casual / Part-time Jobs (1 Viewer)

a.Limjoco

HSC
Who here works, or use to? I want to quit my job (Coles) for this year, but I don't know :p. The reason i want to quit is that my job isn't flexible, when I'm rostered, its either do or die pisses me off when teachers pack on a whole lot of work... Its not that hard to find another job.. but whatever. Right now I vary from 8-16 hrs 2 day a week.

lol i ramble too much.. so who has a job ? etc.. bitch bitch bitch

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
I've been working since the end of year 9. It was fine until the end of year 11. Basically, I used to go to school for 5 days and then work 9-6 every weekend. It was shit, so I told my supervisor that I'm only available on Sunday and it worked out. I took one and a half months off just before and during the HSC exams and then I went back to working random shifts, once the exams were over.

If I were you, I'd do something similar because it's really not that easy to get a job, especially towards the end of the year as everyone rushes for jobs then.

jirwin

HSC
jobs ARE NOT easy to get. trust me. been applying to everywhere since october. only had one interview and was rejected.

a.Limjoco

HSC
yeah ive been scared to ask my boss to give me only sunday shifts cause she a bitch... but i guess i'll do it soon

bassistx

HSC
Since October? Lmfao. You're so lucky.
I've applied for Coles, Woolworths, whatever... Almost every damned store/medical centre/etc.

Since June 2005. So you figure out how long it's been. Over 2 years. And NOTHING.

I update all my applications and everything and pester them about it, but don't get anything back. It's so ridiculous. They keep saying they don't have any openings. Pfft, yeah right! My friends got a job after a couple of weeks!

It sucks. And I have references/previous work experience too. I'm experienced, how can they give the job to an inexperienced person? I guess they want to teach them their ways, without having to overwrite the previous employer's rules.. Grrr.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
a.Limjoco said:
yeah ive been scared to ask my boss to give me only sunday shifts cause she a bitch... but i guess i'll do it soon
Well, I didn't actually ask for Sunday shifts specifically. I told her that I was feeling too tired, so all I want is one shift a week - Don't care whether it's on a Saturday or Sunday. She gave me Sunday because I cost less. If you word it right, you might be just as lucky.:D

Caitlin63

:-)
HSC
I recently told my boss I only wanted one shift on weekends because I needed time for study and it happened this week - only working on sunday but next week I am back to saturday and sunday a whole 14 hours out of my weekend!!!!!!!! Friend wants me to go to his party on sat night and he lives out of town and I'd have to stay there, i think i will try to swap my sunday shift next week but *sighs* why don't they just listen!

setmatchrun

Banned
HSC
Whatever you do, don't apply to BIG W.

Worst place to work ever, mind numbing, more bogans than a caravan park in penrith and a majority of the people you work with are fat assholes who are bitter they failed at life and got stuck in retail.

However, I get $16 an hour on Sundays, I work by the motto of "16 hours for a pair of ksubis".

bubbly89

HSC
If you keep it under 10 hours and lay off it during intensive weeks then I think you'd be alright. I can't say how good it is to be just able to go out and be able to buy something when you want it.

Yeah but Coles can be a bit of a bitch at times, also toss up working enviroment, some bosses are awesome to work under, others somehow think that because they're above you that you are slave labor... (these are the people will stay in retail bitter forever lol).

If the money is good as well, a whole bunch of friends started working for Rydges... for $20 an hour when they were under 18... it was a dream.

HSC
tanjin said:
I've been working since the end of year 9. It was fine until the end of year 11. Basically, I used to go to school for 5 days and then work 9-6 every weekend. It was shit, so I told my supervisor that I'm only available on Sunday and it worked out. I took one and a half months off just before and during the HSC exams and then I went back to working random shifts, once the exams were over.
I've done/will be doing a similar thing this year. I used to work about 14 hours a week over 3 days, and found that in Year 11 this pushed me so hard. Therefore, I've told my supervisors that I'll do all day Saturdays (we're not open on Sunday - otherwise I'd do Sundays), and that occassionally, if someone needed a Thurs nite covered, then I'd help out with that. So this week, I did 4.30-9.30 thurs, and 9.30-6.30 sat (was 9.30 til 2.30 but got changed).

However, next weeks roster saw me rostered on for 4-6.30 on both tues and wed. So I left a quite nasty note last night, stating what my availabilities were, and that as a casual staff member, I not only had the right to be rostered within my availabilities, but that I shouldn't have to cover the shifts that I wasn't originally available for. So this afternoon my manager called me, apologising for the roster, saying that she had covered my shifts, and to compensate for them, she offered me an extra three hrs tomorrow.

So I guess, if you're going to work, you need to not only be strict, but also assertive, about the times when you're available. As has been said, such assertiveness will get you the shifts you want. My manager said to me that they will bend over backwards to help good staff during their studies. Hopefully the same will happen for you.

jirwin

HSC
babikakez can i have ur job?

sounds like a great job to have at this time of ur life. i would be too scared/shy to leave a nasty note.

Zrap

glock9
HSC
You should just live off your parents.
I havent ever had a job, good resume, nope.
only positive thing i live my childhood longer and more time to focus
on studying and not have to stress about that.
Bad thing is good resume, no.
Our teacher says you should only work 10-12hrs during year 12.

0blina

HSC
N/A
setmatchrun said:

Worst place to work ever, mind numbing, more bogans than a caravan park in penrith and a majority of the people you work with are fat assholes who are bitter they failed at life and got stuck in retail.
Truth.

veronica6535

HSC
I work at Diva, and they are pretty flexible like i work something like 2-3 shifts a week.. and do no more than 9 hours.. It's easier that way.

aja152

HSC
N/A
Dont work at cheap paying cafe's..
on my first day, majority of the time i had to take care of about 20 table in which i had
1. to serve the food to the customers
2. pick up their empty dishes and clean the table if there are spills and crumbs
3. throw their food scraps and rubbish in the bin and place the plates and cups in a organised fashion which is very time consuming

the main thing is that i had to take care of about 20 tables at our busy times (with occasional help from another worker).....

and the owner lady whom is a bitach scolded me for not cleaning the tables when i went to serve food....seriously i cant do two things at once....
she also scolded me cuz i wasnt smiling while putting out the tables early in the morning when there was no customers... like the tables were bloody heavy -_- which again i did by myself...
man they are so cheap, they should hire more stafff.. grr

the pay is also $8/hr.....since im a trainee...

ITS HUMAN SLAVERY~ haha
(i feel much better now..)

johony

HSC

I concur.

I just cut down my availability from around 12 hours a week to only 4 hours on a sunday. Work was really starting to take over everything. Like tanjin; i used to go to school for 5 days then work the whole weekend. I might however start working 12-14 hours again if i do get a new job (just so i can get my foot in the door), then cut it right back down again.

greekgun

HSC
Cant stand casual. Annoys the crap out of me when they change the shifts on me all the time.
Eg
Shift manager: Hey, how are you? Just calling to give you your shifts, we need you to work saturday 11-4 and sunday 12-5
Me: Yeah ok, cya then.

About 10 minits later
Shift manager:Hey again, i need to rearrange your shifts, instead of working 11-4 on saturday, u need to work 8-2
Me:ah...ok then

Friday night, the day before my saturday shift
Shift manager:Hey how are you going, i need to rearrange your saturday shift one more time, is that ok?
Me: Your joking, i kinda have plans 3pm onwards so if its after that time i cant make it.
Shift manager: well...i need u to work 5-11
Cousin in background: tell he to f@ck off
and it goes on like this every week.
They should just hand out the shifts and not rearrange them so much.

Cant wait to quit once i get my cadetship in accounting next year (i hope)

kennychan222

HSC
Until now I don't have a job. It's a problem. If I still don't get a job, I will always spend my parents money forever. Man! I am 19...I NEED A JOB

I need my money that I earn so that I can spend I want. Since I will move to Wollongong in 19/2, I hope I can get one when I am studying at UOW.

*rUsTy*

HSC
Try and find a job at an arena or stadium etc. You work only when you want to work and the shifts are usually flexible. They wil hardly call you in to fill in or change your shift times. Only downside is that work isn't very common... by casual, they mean casual. Depends how booked the place is for the year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)