Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 1125

Thread: The Coles Thread

  1. #51
    Senior Member greekgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    964
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: The Coles Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CieL
    A-hah.. I hate it when they do that..
    I don't get why they put down people to do 5.5hrs.. you get paid the same as doing a 5hr shift.. plus you spend more to go eat on your break!

    And umm.. when you get a meal break, you can actually choose whether you want it to be 30mins or 60mins.. Usually if you do a 7.5-9hr shift, they roster you on a 1hr break.. Oh, and after 7.5hrs or so, you get 2x15mins [instead of one] and a 30-60min meal break.
    Really? i didnt know that. dam those shift manager who purposely give shift times which are just under the minimum time required for a break so u dont get a break *shakes fist*

  2. #52
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    HSC
    2006
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    9

    Question Coles Checkouts!!

    Hey,

    Could someone please give me a few pointers on using the Coles checkouts.
    I start tomorrow, and i have not received any proper training yet!!

    Any help much appreciated!

  3. #53
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    HSC
    2005
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    398
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Coles Checkouts!!

    arent you supposed to have an induction where they teach you all that?
    >>

  4. #54
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    HSC
    2006
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Coles Checkouts!!

    I'm still a bit puzzled on how to enter fresh produce items, i.e. items without a barcode into the system.

    Also, do u swipe the flybuys in the eftpos thing or do you scan it with the barcode scanner?

  5. #55
    Senior Member greekgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    964
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Coles Checkouts!!

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzbaby
    arent you supposed to have an induction where they teach you all that?
    Yeah ur supposed to do an induction which teaches u all the shit u need to know, but sometimes people start working at doing shifts first and then doing an induction.

    Anywho, here are my tips:
    -When u scan an item, dont turn the item around and look for the barcode- just place it over the scanner and move it around til it scans.

    -Keep an eye on how many notes u have, if u get to many do a clearance, if u dont know how to do it call the supevisor who should come and help u. And also keep an eye on how much change u have, if ur running low order some change, if u dont know how to do tat call the supervisor

    And thats pretty much all u can do at this stage.

    With the fresh produce stuff, do you know the sticker on the fruit or veggies...just type the number on it and put it on the scanner and it works it out for u. If theres no sticker press the fresh produce button, type in the first few letter of the item (like if it was an apple type in app) and click on the picture which is ur item.

    With the fly bys u can either scan the barcode or swipe in in the eftpos, i prefer scanning the barcode because its easier.
    Last edited by greekgun; 26 Jul 2008 at 3:52 PM.

  6. #56
    Is in A State Of Trance shinji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    HSC
    2006
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Syd-ney
    Posts
    2,734
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Coles Checkouts!!

    Quote Originally Posted by greekgun
    Yeah ur supposed to do an induction which teaches u all the shit u need to know, but sometimes people start working at doing shifts first and then doing an induction.

    Anywho, here are my tips:
    -When u scan an item, dont turn the item around and look for the barcode- just place it over the scanner and move it around til it scans.

    -Keep an eye on how many notes u have, if u get to many do a clearance, if u dont know how to do it call the supevisor who should come and help u. And also keep an eye on how much change u have, if ur running low order some change, if u dont know how to do tat call the supervisor

    And thats pretty much all u can do at this stage.

    With the fresh produce stuff, do you know the sticker on the fruit or veggies...just type the number on it and put it on the scanner and it works it out for u. If theres no sticker press the fresh produce button, type in the first few letter of the item (like if it was an apple type in app) and click on the picture which is ur item.

    With the fly bys u can either scan the barcode or swipe in in the eftpos, i prefer scanning the barcode because its easier.
    +1

    good tips there.
    never been on checkouts nor have I been checkout trained. closest thing i've done to it is use the self-serve checkouts. haha
    NSW UAI - 'o6 - 90.45
    Undergraduate Course - 'o7 - Bachelor of Commerce - UNSW
    'o8 - Usyd Kendo Club

  7. #57
    Senior Member greekgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    964
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Coles Checkouts!!

    Quote Originally Posted by shinji
    +1

    good tips there.
    never been on checkouts nor have I been checkout trained. closest thing i've done to it is use the self-serve checkouts. haha
    U in grocery then?

  8. #58
    Plane Nut milocole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    454
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: The Coles Thread

    Can someone tell me if my store is too tough and strict. I fucken hate the Store Manager
    1. All roll-cages need to be done BY 40mins after started (This is the Dairy Case)
    2. 1 trolley of milk done in 5minutes (includes there and back time to the dairy cool-room
    3. All Dairy facing done in 30mins, including Freezer (even takes the Dairy Manager 2hours)
    4. If you dont fold boxes after filling loading off the role-cage onto the shelf (ie-just leave unfolded and chuck into the compacter cause its only small) you get a ultimatum

    Im just really starting to get pissed with all the arguments that are created. Im actually the fastest and best casual and still get told to "hurry the fuck up". A least 50mins-1hour for a Dairy rollcage it takes me, cause there is so many damn yogurts, butters.... I am really starting to push myself and do a rolecage in 40mins, but its just impossible! Then when you get caught having a "20second drink of water", the Store Manager tells your manager that you are seen "Bludging", and hence getting back to the roster off 1shift a month instead of 1 per fortnight.

    Fuck Store Managers.
    Last edited by milocole; 27 Jul 2008 at 9:33 PM.

  9. #59
    Member melonkitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    259
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Coles Checkouts!!

    same

  10. #60
    Is in A State Of Trance shinji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    HSC
    2006
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Syd-ney
    Posts
    2,734
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Coles Checkouts!!

    Quote Originally Posted by greekgun
    U in grocery then?
    nah, deli.
    NSW UAI - 'o6 - 90.45
    Undergraduate Course - 'o7 - Bachelor of Commerce - UNSW
    'o8 - Usyd Kendo Club

  11. #61
    Member -Anfernee-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    HSC
    2007
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    350
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Coles Checkouts!!

    Just a tip to the OP.

    Please be more efficient when scanning things through cos I hate waiting in line.


    Thanks.

  12. #62
    Senior Member greekgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    964
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Coles Checkouts!!

    Quote Originally Posted by -Anfernee-
    Just a tip to the OP.

    Please be more efficient when scanning things through cos I hate waiting in line.


    Thanks.
    Yeah well sometimes its hard to be efficent when ur brand new...and some times its hard to be efficent when a customer puts things on the belt like an ass (they will have a whole bunch of meat products at the back....and similar ones at the back) and when they take forever to get there change out, get there fly byes out, get there eftpos out or even to decide how much cash out they want. Had some bitch change how much cash out she wanted 4 times...and each time she asked she waited for the eftpos card to be swiped so i had to cancell and swipe again. So just keep in mind that we can only be efficent if our customers are allowing us to.

  13. #63
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    HSC
    2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    west syd
    Posts
    104
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: The Coles Thread

    Got offered for coles at penrith- far from the station for me - didnt know when i applied the boss was saying that dont worry i will give you the job - after looking at my resume coz i worked at woolies...

    i actually applied online then when the boss asked me to come for an interview i backed out and said no sorry too far she was like oh thats a shame.. now i think wtf should have taken that job!!!

    meh, stuff will come up...

  14. #64
    ... CieL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    HSC
    2005
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3,135
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: The Coles Thread

    You should of taken it, waste their money with the online induction, then ask for a transfer.

  15. #65
    ... CieL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    HSC
    2005
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3,135
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Coles Checkouts!!

    Quote Originally Posted by fatman55
    I'm still a bit puzzled on how to enter fresh produce items, i.e. items without a barcode into the system.

    Also, do u swipe the flybuys in the eftpos thing or do you scan it with the barcode scanner?
    Like greekgun has mentioned, most popular fresh produce have a sticker on them. On that sticker, there is a [usually] four digit code.
    eg. Lemons - 6462
    Navel Oranges - 6470
    Granny Smiths - 4139 , etc......

    What you do is you just put the items on the scale in front of you, type in the code, then press ENTER.

    If the produce doesn't have a sticker, and you aren't sure or don't know what the item is called, it doesn't hurt to ask the customer the name of the item.
    eg. I had no idea what a squash, silverbeet, swede, parsnip, etc were when I first started since I don't eat that shit..

    Once you have the name of the item, look at the toolbar on the right hand side.. I think the 4th button down is "fresh produce" -> "Alpha search" [2nd button down on the right] -> *type in first few letters, it's a QWERTY keyboard* -> "Search"
    Then you will see a whole display of available items as pictures with the name on top. Press the picture and it will automatically weigh the items.

    Also keep in mind that the picture also has a little number in a top corner. That number is helpful in the long run as you can just enter those numbers [followed by ENTER] instead of searching each thing up all the time..
    1 = banana
    2 = field tomatoes
    3 = wash potatoes
    6 = carrots; etc.. all the way to the 5 digit numbers

    Flybuys.. you can do either..
    If I'm really busy and the customer has their FBs in their hand waiting for me to beep it, I just tell them, "You can swipe your FBs like a credit card".. it saves a few seconds, because I'm a speed freak..

    And also, if a dumbass customer presents their FBs AFTER you complete the transaction and is printing the receipt.. and they insist on getting their stupid points, you'll need to call the supervisor/2IC/manager to add FBs to the transaction.

    EDIT: Btw, there's a COLES THREAD stickied at the top.. it's quite lonely..

  16. #66
    Gavvvvvin
    Guest

    Re: The Coles Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by born2b
    Got offered for coles at penrith- far from the station for me - didnt know when i applied the boss was saying that dont worry i will give you the job - after looking at my resume coz i worked at woolies...

    i actually applied online then when the boss asked me to come for an interview i backed out and said no sorry too far she was like oh thats a shame.. now i think wtf should have taken that job!!!

    meh, stuff will come up...
    what its a 5 minute walk from the station

  17. #67
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    HSC
    2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    west syd
    Posts
    104
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: The Coles Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Gavvvvvin
    what its a 5 minute walk from the station
    ohh f***k your kidding?

    i read on where is its about a 20 minute walk..

    omg ... i am sooo argghhh pissed off now bloody hell could have had a job

  18. #68
    Plane Nut milocole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    454
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: The Coles Thread

    Google Maps would be a good start
    Last edited by milocole; 28 Jul 2008 at 2:12 PM.

  19. #69
    Executive Member blakegman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    HSC
    2007
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,417
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: The Coles Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by born2b
    ohh f***k your kidding?

    i read on where is its about a 20 minute walk..

    omg ... i am sooo argghhh pissed off now bloody hell could have had a job
    20 minute walk isnt even that far.

    A normal person walking a decent pace could do such a distance in under 10 minutes usually. They account for old people and how useless they are.

  20. #70
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: The Coles Thread

    And U Get Payed For Ur Tea Brakes ***cheering***

  21. #71
    ... CieL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    HSC
    2005
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3,135
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: The Coles Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by milocole
    Im actually the fastest and best casual............

    ..............and hence getting back to the roster off 1shift a month instead of 1 per fortnight.
    Fastest and best and you only got one shift a fortnight?
    What do the others get? One shift in 3 months?

  22. #72
    Plane Nut milocole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    454
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: The Coles Thread

    The others are just o "Call", so when I am unavailble , they bring them in. Its all about budgets in our store, in which isn't making much $$$, so they just kill us all

  23. #73
    Executive Member blakegman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    HSC
    2007
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,417
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: The Coles Thread

    How do you determine you are the best casual ?

    Under what criteria.

  24. #74
    Senior Member greekgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    964
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: The Coles Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by blakegman
    How do you determine you are the best casual ?

    Under what criteria.
    Dunno...i guess how flexible u are, and if u say yes to most or all shifts.

  25. #75
    Plane Nut milocole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    454
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: The Coles Thread

    or when somebody tells you, or when the others take double the amount of time to do a rollcage

Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •