sladehk

le random
HSC
coles group interview what to expect?

^coles group interview what to expect?

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
Re: coles group interview what to expect?

A lot of different stuff, they just want to check if you're trash or not.
Hell even most of the trash get through the group interview.

Graham Trevor

HSC
Re: coles group interview what to expect?

You'll just be asked to take part in a few group exercises -- putting together a puzzle, for example -- to see how you work within a group.

XPIOTOS

HSC
I had a job interview at Coles today, and they hired me on the spot, for Grocery.
Other than that, they didn't tell me anything, except for something about loads?

Not sure. Does anyone have an idea about what I'll be doing? To be honest, what I've been reading on here doesn't make me excited about it at all.

Can anyone tell me about pay? How does rostering work? Will there be any chance of being transferred to registers? I've never worked grocery, but I did work front end at Safeway and I kind of enjoyed that.

Some of the stuff I've read on BOS has actually made me pretty anxious about it... Fortunately I don't particularly need this job, so if they stuff me around I can tell them where to stick it.

synthesized

HSC
N/A
Re: Grocery at Coles

XPIOTOS said:
I had a job interview at Coles today, and they hired me on the spot, for Grocery.
Other than that, they didn't tell me anything, except for something about loads?

Not sure. Does anyone have an idea about what I'll be doing? To be honest, what I've been reading on here doesn't make me excited about it at all.

Can anyone tell me about pay? How does rostering work? Will there be any chance of being transferred to registers? I've never worked grocery, but I did work front end at Safeway and I kind of enjoyed that.

Some of the stuff I've read on BOS has actually made me pretty anxious about it... Fortunately I don't particularly need this job, so if they stuff me around I can tell them where to stick it.
you WILL be stuffed around. unless you make yourself stand out by looking like you WANT to work. even then, you'll be stuffed around regardless.

you'll be stacking the shelves, probably from 6-11pm. they will eventually call you and ask you to come in for a shift, and they will probably have you on the roster for one shift a week to start with. if you want more shifts you HAVE to say your avaliability is unlimited, if you do this they will probably give you at least 2-3 shifts a week, contingent on your attitude to work.

i'm guessing you're 18, if so your pay is about $13/hr i think. unless your store is severely short on staff it is unlikely that you will be transferred to registers, since departments like to keep their staff to themselves. however, you can ask to be transferred to service if you wish.

XPIOTOS

HSC

Ugh stacking shelves. Sounds like a blast. Give me complaining customers any day.

If I really hate grocery (and I did one or two shifts in grocery at Safeway, and I hated it) can I ask to be transferred to service? Or would they expect me to keep working in grocery and shut up about it?

And I'm 17 til October so I'm guessing my pay would be close to the $11 mark?
Also, I work hard - what are my chances of being promoted? I was going to be a trained for service supervision at Safeway but I had to quit, so I'm pretty sure I could do it.

CieL

HSC

Yeah I hate grocery too. I've done face-up and stocktake, and I hate having to freaking smell the spices and the detergent aisle. But I guess the other side is that you can bludge and talk all you want.

Having said that my department is service.
Yes, 17yrs old would be $11.xx. Pay usually goes up a few cents every so often so I can't give you an exact answer.

If you want to be transferred, just speak to the grocery and the service manager. We have some staff doing both.

Rostering.. what do you want to know about it? Everyone starts off as a casual. You give your availabilities, and they usually work around it. I was given a shitload of shifts when I first started, whereas some people got crappy 3hr shifts. Oh yeah, minimum of 3hrs per shift. When you first start you're on a lower rate for training. But I think you get the full rate after 2wks. Well, I got it after 1.5wks?

Chances of being promoted......... depends.........
I was promoted to be a supervisor after 2 months of working. Others have been working for years and haven't been promoted.

But don't worry about BoS. All you hear is the bad stuff. I'm sure there must be some pros.......... lol

HSC

it really depends on the store you work at, as mine is different from both the above descriptions lol ...

i suppose because mine is a small store we have alot of interchange between departments... i rarely do grocery but they have made me before ... i dont like it tho. and they are making everyone in our store learn registers "just in case" i think...

and our rostering is pretty crap .. they only tell us when we are working on the sunday for the week starting monday! and the shifts change sooo much...

XPIOTOS

HSC

Mmm...

The manager said that he would have me trained for service as well in case they need help when it gets busy, but I'm not exactly holding my breath for that training to happen. I don't know. I'm more than willing to give grocery a go, and if I really hate it I'll try and get a transfer. The worst that can happen is that they say no.

I really hope they're more on the ball with rostering at this store, though... I'm in year twelve. I need to know when I'm meant to be working so I can make sure everything gets done, etc.

The interview (which was mostly me asking them questions) went pretty well, and I was completely honest (like telling them that I didn't want more than 15 hours a week, I'd need lots of time off for exams, I would be taking at least a weekend off to visit my grandparents every holidays, not available fridays or sunday mornings) so I was actually surprised that they hired me. I thought they'd say "no thanks" because I was not available seven days a week. One thing that Safeway taught me was to stick up for myself though... so they'd better watch out LOL.

And thanks. It's comforting to know that not everyone absolutely hates it and quits after a week. :)

pezdog

HSC

If you get the choice dont offer to do capping, it is possibly the worst job you have to in grocery....ugh, i hate it

CieL

HSC

What's capping?

XPIOTOS

HSC

CieL said:
What's capping?
Umm... at Safeway it was filling stock using the spare stock on the top of the shelves. Is it the same or similar at Coles?

Hindzy

HSC
Coles Pay rate

Hi,

I am wondering what the pay rate at coles is for a 15 year old. I currently work at macdonalds and they don't give me many shifts. Also what pay rate do you get once you turn 16.

Thanks

nicollette

HSC
Re: Coles Pay rate

Probs like thats not funny..its annoying.

Around 7.50-8.00 ph or you could just search the forums
('coles pay' in your search) and should find out the exact wages.

greekgun

HSC

When i was 16, i was getting paid around 9.50 per hour for casual work. So a 15 yr old would probably get around 8 dollars for casual work.

And btw, theres like 5 thread dedicated to coles pay rates, u should search for them before u create another one.

HSC

To be honest, unless you're getting less shifts at Mcdonalds, I doubt that Coles would give you anymore than two, maybe three shifts a week as a casual.
But on the upside, I would rather work at Coles than McDonalds any day

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC

greekgun said:
When i was 16, i was getting paid around 9.50 per hour for casual work. So a 15 yr old would probably get around 8 dollars for casual work.

And btw, theres like 5 thread dedicated to coles pay rates, u should search for them before u create another one.
people are lazy, full stop.

you tell me, should i delete/merge this thread and 100 other repetitive threads?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)