What is the minimum wage for an 18 year old? (1 Viewer)

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
I read that maccas pays roughly $15.40 to $16 per hour which is good in my eyes. I'm currently employed at a local supermarket and I'm making just over $9 per hour. I feel scammed. -.-

Edit: I found this "The Federal Minimum Wage is reviewed every year. Right now it is $15.51 per hour or $589.30 per week."

http://www.actu.org.au/HelpDesk/YourRightsfactsheets/MinimumWages.aspx

How much are you getting paid for you current job? and do you reckon I should say with this $9 job? (It is pretty hard right now to get a job - I'm still waiting on replies). Should take about a week or 2 to here back yeah?

Last edited:

cheese_cheese

HSC
It depends which industry you are in. After they changed it in 2007 (?) it became a whole lot more complicated. Fast food comes under a different industry award to supermarkets. $9 to $10 is probably about right, especially if you are part/full time and not a casual (which those workers at McDonalds on that wage would be on).

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
It depends which industry you are in. After they changed it in 207 (?) it became a whole lot more complicated. Fast food comes under a different industry award to supermarkets. $9 to $10 is probably about right, especially if you are part/full time and not a casual (which those workers at McDonalds on that wage would be on).
atm I'm casual :( It's seriously a lot of work / manual handling for $9. Even my employer said I'm not worth that. :/ seriously thinking about going to maccas despite all the bad stories I hear. At least it would be 5 - 6 dollars pr hr more than I'm making now. (Also heaps closer for me as well)

Some other useful comparisons

Coles: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_does_a_18yr_old_get_paid_at_coles

Maccas: http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110805034835AAsCGva

And I suppose KFC pay less (I'm not sure, but I heard it from somewhere)

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Key advantage as well of working in a place with proper training regimes and worldwide name recognition is you can always chuck it on your resume when applying for other jobs. Don't underestimate the value employers see in discipline, team work, leading, coaching new team members, trusted with cash, customer relations, etc.

nakedcrumpet93

HSC
i highly doubt maccas would be paying 15/16 dollars an hour..i know a 16 year old getting paid only $10!! and your under a different agreement ( as stated above ) and you most definitely dont get above minimum wage ..your probably looking at around 12 bucks an hour

Cl324

HSC
N/A
My friend is 17 and gets paid 12$. Apparantly you get a 2 dollar increase on your birthday until up to a certain age so you're probably looking at 14.
Working at maccas isnt that bad, mostly because your surrounded by people your own age.

musing

HSC
I'm 18 and I get about $21 per hour. I guess it all depends where you're working at.

EazyEEE

HSC
It doesn't depend on where you work at at all.

For fast food industries i.e. maccas/kfc, There is a minimum wage depending on your age, but for every extra half year you work there, the wage rises by around 1.5 dollars.

Speaking around experience

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Do these franchises have a set policy for their HR policies or is this entirely dependent on the franchisee?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Reading this thread makes me realise the wage disparity with the US and why thing cost so much in Australia. In new york minimum wage is US$7.25 per hour not including overtime.

Its the same for kids I think but there are limits on hours and when they can work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KidDang

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm working at Maccas as of 2011 after my HSC so I should be the most accurate- they sign you of with a super annuation thing called REST where you can say yes or no.

So maybe my pay has tax deductions or not I don't really care, I get 13.68/hour which is okay to me as I'm working for my CV more than for the money.

I work at Fairfield NSW btw.

delian

HSC
N/A
Key advantage as well of working in a place with proper training regimes and worldwide name recognition is you can always chuck it on your resume when applying for other jobs. Don't underestimate the value employers see in discipline, team work, leading, coaching new team members, trusted with cash, customer relations, etc.
+1

zombies

HSC
I'm 16 and I'm earning 7.50/hr. Hopefully when I turn 17 I'll get a raise to 9$ (minimum wage is like 8.90 for 17yr olds I think)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)