Time is so short (1 Viewer)

Jin-17

Hello all,

I must be one fool, who never really planed ahead properly. My HSC is finishing on wednesday in the afternoon for econmics, but I dont have any job lined up for me and times are getting quite slim. All I can think of is fast food and also using centre link to do the job serach for me. Anyone know where there is a decent employment anywhere in the chatswood area, where the pay is decent and not slave labour? (By the way I am willing to accept anything, but fast food is my last resort)

orangeguy

HSC
N/A
hey jin, have u tried roy young chemist at chats?
i heard its not bad there!

Jin-17

yeah i worked there before for like 2 years. Nice job but got boring later. thanks for the tip though.

Christine

beige member
HSC
go to coles or woolies, the pay mightn't be that great but it beats fast food and its good exp.

and u can quit when u get a new job!!

also i think that wheel and barrow shop in the chase wanted casuals??

if all else fails hand ur resume in EVERYWHERE!!

Rosie

I don't recommend woolies....i worked there only lasted for a few months coz of all the bad experiences i had. It is slave labour if you ask me!! I am never working in any woolworths again for as long as i live...

Christine

beige member
HSC
hey i work at woolworths and i have no problems

but we are a small store and thus not v busy so i get paid to talk...

Rosie

I worked in the main shopping centre so it was constantly busy and i was being paid basically nothing...like $4.55 an hour!! i had the worst supervisor and they told me to start at like 3pm weekdays when i would finish school at that time and id ask them to be more flexible but they wouldn't budge! :(

Sarah J

HSC
There's always tonnes of jobs that don't need experience in the Herald on wednesdays. Just check them out and apply to heaps of jobs. and like Christine said, hand in your resume everywhere. It doesn't matter where you work, just the fact that you actually worked there and gained experience. Don't dismiss something that comes your way just cos it isn't glam enough or it isn't your dream job.

Lazy

Old Bastard
HSC
Originally posted by Rosie
I worked in the main shopping centre so it was constantly busy and i was being paid basically nothing...like $4.55 an hour!! i had the worst supervisor and they told me to start at like 3pm weekdays when i would finish school at that time and id ask them to be more flexible but they wouldn't budge! :(
Didnt you join the union Rosie?? If you had of you could have appealed to them and told them what was happening and they would have helped you out :)
I work at coles part-time and the pay there is better then most other places you'll find jin. Dont get into fast food, the pays shit and they treat you like shit, and with summer here slaving over a hot stove is not what id call fun :p

Christine

beige member
HSC
Originally posted by Sarah J
and like Christine said, hand in your resume everywhere.
i love it when i'm right!!

and lazy do u know how much money belonging to the union actually costs??

its like 1/2 your pay when ur on a shit wage..

souldancer

Christine: union costs about $5 pw

Rosie: depending on how old you are and whether or not you were part time or full time you should have been getting around $7-8 p/hr, thats what i was getting last yr b4 i quit for HSC study.

Rosie

I never actually thought about getting the union involved but i did complain to the manager about the supervisor and she didn't do anything...until like a years worth of complaints came in about the supervisor and she got lowered to the check out operator position.
I can remember once the supervisor told me that i wasn't allowed to roll my sleeves up on my jacket and she told my sister who also works there that she wasn't allowed to drink cordial only water! its so ridiculous.
I was 15 when i got the job and i was casual so i dunno if they were the right wages for me or not....but they weren't very good wages for the amount of work i had to do, with no breaks...its just a constant repetitive job. Lazy i have heard coles is heaps betta than woolies!!

Lazy

Old Bastard
HSC
Originally posted by Christine
lazy do u know how much money belonging to the union actually costs??
its like 1/2 your pay when ur on a shit wage..
Im in the SDA and they dont charge much at all. If you work under 10 hours a week it costs about $2.15. 10 - 20 hours a week its about $4.15 and 20+ is $5.
How is that half your pay??
And id rather be paying a little bit of money to a union every week then getting screwed over by my wanker boss.

Originally posted by Rosie
Lazy i have heard coles is heaps betta than woolies!!
Its a little better yeah. We have the same union though so its much the same. Our wages are a little higher than woolies though :D

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
go the SDA!!!!

Even though that $2.15 adds up to like $180 (thats how much i paid last year)

Those $80 textbook scholarships are good

and they've gone stingy on the union cards, they used to be proper plastic cards and now it's like a platic coated bit of paper.

they also make it easy for u to join the union (fill in a card) but really hard to leave (write a letter to the sda_

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
Jin , contact the staff at westfield etc to see if they've got giftwrapping staff for christmas yet..

my friends used to do it, and its good pay.. they got $10 or more an hour in like year 9..

also if you are a male, maybe u could look into labouring... its good money and exercise,but it depends how much you like to get your hands dirty..

otherwise i wouldn't try woolies, as someone else already said, but maybe just like a company , an office and do secretarial kinda work there if u dont wanna work in fast food. ALSO , check the "my career" section of the HERALD under casual there are often things available, especially summer jobs, that aren't at fast food places....

My CAREER in the herald comes out on wednesday and saturdays..

ganbatte!! ^_^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)