help me please (1 Viewer)

_StrawBerryJam_

HSC
So I am 18 turning 19 soon.. This are the 50 places I had applied in November 2012 and kept looking for more jobs, though I got rejected from all the places. I have no experience, but I am a practical learner and hardworking. What sucks is that no one in my household is employed and currently we are facing possibly the worst family disputes ever. Staying at home for the past 2/3 months has actually quite depressed and nothing seems good.

Big W
Woolworths
Kmart
Aldis
Coles
McDonalds
KFC
Hungry Jacks
Ice
Chicabooti
Jay Jays
Jeanswest
Just Jeans
TEMT
Gloss
Valley Girl
Manchester and More
Best and Less
Smiggle
Hoyts
Dicksmith
JB Hifi
Events Cinema
Officeworks
Citybeach
Harvey Norman
Telstra
Crossroads
The Reject Shop
Dollar King
Donut King
Wendys
Boost
AMF

Any ideas where I can get a Casual or Part time job? Please help :(
I have also gone to recruitment agencies...but nothing.

LolaBell

HSC
Do any of your family members know anyone who owns their own business? Preferably a small business like a coffee shop. If so, ask them to speak to them and see if they are willing to give you a shot. Even say that you will only demand minimum rate of pay like $10. I know it's not much at all but at least you will get experience from the place AND as you get better they are likely to increase the rate. From here you can apply to other places & more likely you will get hired.

Also, try applying to local places instead of those big name companies && be persistent when your speaking to them (shop managers)- by that I mean don't just give them your résumé. Tell them you're in big need of job and although you have no experience you are a very hard worker etc.

I know from experience. Was in your shoes a few months ago

HSC
N/A
dont worry about it, if you got accepted from applications made in novemember i would be surprised. All those(franchise etc) workplaces already hired their chrismas casual by Novemember. For a job in those places that you listed try Feburary+

I reckon your best chance right now, maybe looking for casual/part time jobs on gum tree, calling them up/emailing them, and make sure you can meet most of the criteria for the job. Or you can perfect your resume , make sure to list the attractive skills you have i.e. reliable? good communication? and maybe workplacement that might to relevant, if you did it in year 10. Print a few copies of your resume and go around to local stores, when they are not busy i.e. 9-11 am in the morning, and ask for job. Some shops may even have signs on windows saying looking to hire

Also if you cant find any paid ones, try search for volunteer work, seriously it should pay off as you can put it on your resume, and maybe get a reference from them as well.

And i can understand what you mean with those family stuff, similar situation here, dont worry about it its gonna be allgood.

willzinho

HSC
What's your current process of applying though?

Is it just dropping off a resume at the counter, or do you speak to the manager first to see if they are hiring? If you speak to the manager, how are you presented? (What you are wearing, your posture etc?)
Do you have a feeling where the rejections are coming from? What the reasons might be?

Have you gotten to the interview stage with any of the jobs listed?

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
Don't get down because you can't find anything. I've just been rostered out in my retail job and i'm having just as much trouble finding another job as much as you. Even with 3 years total experience in retail/hospitality, you would think that I wouldn't get rejected from woolworths and aldi in 30 minutes (not even kidding) but it happens.

A lot of the big companies have some automatic screening process, which they can cut you based on age, where you live, availabilities, experience etc. One time, my friend's work (fashion retail) was looking for a casual member (advertised 6-15 hours a week), so I spent quite a bit of time writing a cover letter and such, and then it turned out they wanted someone who had full time availability even though I only go to Uni 3 days a week and I was free on thursday nights, weekends and holidays.

Sometimes places are just not looking for staff, especially in retail, as more people switch to online shopping. At the place I worked (big retail chain - one of the ones you mentioned actually) the ONLY way to get your foot in the door was Christmas casual positions simply because hardly any permanent staff quit (there was a guy who has been there for 6 years, and wasn't even a manager). Once I applied at a book shop in like May/June, didn't even get a call until October (which I had to turn down because I already had something else)

So just keep applying for everywhere, as long as your not picky, ypu'll get something eventually :)

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
Don't give up trying. Keep applying for jobs because you never know when they'll need someone. Believe me... I applied for countless jobs and had 5 interviews before I got my job.
:monkey:

_StrawBerryJam_

HSC
Got many replies. Went to the interview at Kmart, got a call saying they hired someone else.
UGH :(

_StrawBerryJam_

HSC
no. some even stated that I was not successful because of no experience.
also, I tried volunteering in Anglicare and Salvos, but I was not accpeted..apparently they want citizens and not just permanent residents.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)