Does this happen everywhere or is this just me? (1 Viewer)

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
Ok so i work at kfc and recently the most annoying sh*t happens maybe 90% on every shift. lets say i get rostered from 11am-4pm, i arrive 5-10 mins beforehand and i'm given a till and i start counting the money (for those who don't know, the till has to have $100 give or take). to start getting paid, i go on the computer and select my name and type in my password and it "clocks" me on. now here's where the f**kery begins, if it doesnt seem busy i cant clock on because they'd probably feel that they would be paying me to do nothing but ffs even if there weren't any customers, i could wipe the counter/stock up/clean the floor w/e. so last shift i was just sitting there for like 20 MINUTES waiting for my manager to say "yea go clock on".

dont tell me to come on a specific time if i'm going to start 10-20mins late because "it's not really busy right now" and they try to give u a long ass break if it gets quiet for some time. so yea, i think im gunna quit because i can't stand this bs any longer. is this common in any workplace or do i just have rly gay managers?

MagicPony

Banned
HSC
I don't quite understand..

Are you getting paid for the full period you are rostered?

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
I don't quite understand..

Are you getting paid for the full period you are rostered?
nope, the roster tells me what time i have to be there. again, i start getting paid when i clock onto the computer. when i have a break, i clock off and when my break is over, i clock back on.

MagicPony

Banned
HSC
lol they can't legally do that. You are legally required to get paid breaks if you work ~5 hours (usually 15mins-this is generally for retail)

They aren't meant to get you to clock on/off for your breaks. Your boss should manually edit the times if a break is meant to be unpaid.

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
I work at KFC too. I arrive 5-10 mins early too to check the roster, till etc. I get paid for my full roster time eg. If I work 12-4 I get four hours pay. Even when it is not busy I clock on anyway at my start time and clean, stock the fridge etc.
Maybe speak to your manager about this issue. The only exception is if you work more than 5 hours and get a break.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
If you are rostered to start your shift at 11am and finish at 4pm, and you are present at work from 11am to 4pm, they must pay you for that time. They do not get to pick apart your shift and only pay you for the periods that they deem 'busy enough' to warrant payment.

Last edited:

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
lol they can't legally do that. You are legally required to get paid breaks if you work ~5 hours (usually 15mins-this is generally for retail)

They aren't meant to get you to clock on/off for your breaks. Your boss should manually edit the times if a break is meant to be unpaid.
ok something sus is going on here >.> lol can i report those mofos to someone? and just to make sure, paid breaks mean that u are still getting paid while u are on a break right?

I work at KFC too. I arrive 5-10 mins early too to check the roster, till etc. I get paid for my full roster time eg. If I work 12-4 I get four hours pay. Even when it is not busy I clock on anyway at my start time and clean, stock the fridge etc.
Maybe speak to your manager about this issue. The only exception is if you work more than 5 hours and get a break.
lol when i was fairly new i clocked on when it was time and my manager was like, you dont clock on until i tell you to. DAFUQ LOLOLOL
ceebs speaking to my manager, im quitting anyways cuz im starting to go to tutoring.

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
If you are rostered to start your shift at 11am and finish at 4pm, and you are present at work from 11am to 4pm, they must pay you for that time. They do not get to pick apart your shift and only pay you for the periods that they deem 'busy enough' to warrant payment.
holy crap i've been scammed for so long LOLOLOL

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
BTW, i want to quit asap. do i HAVE to give them 2 weeks notice as well as a resignation letter or something?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
holy crap i've been scammed for so long LOLOLOL
Yeah, you really have.

With the breaks thing, i'm pretty sure if you work less than 5 hours you get a 10 minute paid break. If more than 5 hours you get a 30 minute unpaid meal break.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
i think im part time
Check your contract to be sure, part timers usually have to give some notice, but the conditions differ from workplace to workplace.

Casuals can quit whenever (the trade off being able to be fired whenever i suppose).

Either way, try and quit on good terms so that you can use them as a reference on your resume. If you call your manager a thieving cunt they're probably unlikely to say good things about you to possible future employers.

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
Check your contract to be sure, part timers usually have to give some notice, but the conditions differ from workplace to workplace.

Casuals can quit whenever (the trade off being able to be fired whenever i suppose).

Either way, try and quit on good terms so that you can use them as a reference on your resume. If you call your manager a thieving cunt they're probably unlikely to say good things about you to possible future employers.
lol soz i made a mistake, i just checked my payslip and it says im casual. yea i'll prolly try to be as nice as i can, i did some calculations for shifts i had a few weeks ago, my roster times were as follows:

10:45-15:30 so im meant to be paid for 4 hours 45 mins, on my payslip it says 4.33 which equals to 4hr 19mins and 48 sec

10:45-15:00 so im meant to be paid for 4 hours 15 mins, on my payslip it says 3.85 which equals to 3 hr and 51 min

11:00-16:00 so im meant to be paid for 5 hours, on my payslip it says 4.93 which equals to 4 hr and 55 min 48 sec

so im meant to be paid 14 hours but instead i get paid 13.11 hours >______________>

something i forgot to say, sometimes you get let off abit earlier if it gets too quiet. there was this time when there weren't anyone coming, the manager told this guy to gtfo like 1 or 2 hours early and called the ppl who were working on a later time to start an hour late.

starshine02

HSC
Your manager sounds so desperate just to save a bit of money when it's quiet lol

But yeah that's not supposed to happen...

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
Asking people to leave early when quiet is common, especially in fast food where managers try to save as many cents possible.

Although the clocking on situation sounds a little bit suss, your manager sounds like a super tight ass with their money

lochnessmonsta

Booging
HSC
Uni Grad
I used to work at Maccas and they paid by the minute too. Often Id be asked if I wanted to leave early if it was quiet, and when i declined I was never forced to clock off.

However I was never asked to clock on late because "it wasnt busy enough". I did do a lot of closes with Maccas (e.g rostered 5pm-12am, 24hr restaurant), and we we could leave whenever we had completed the jobs (washing everything, bleaching, stock rotation, etc.). So sometimes i could finish as early as 10:30pm or occasionally if there were newbies on we'd finish later (One shift I finished at 2:30am. After starting at 7:30. On a Sunday night. With my English half-yearly on monday). I mean technically thats not legal, and when i brought it up with my managers and coworkers it was "just the way things were done". And i got a guarantee upon hiring that schoolkids would never work past 11pm on a school night. What a load of BS that turned out to be, when i first tried to change my availability i was told I would have to be available for at least one weekday and one weekday close.

Big business taking advantage of us. Definitely secure other employment before you quit, that is all i can recommend. I did, love my new job, and guess i had to have a shit first job for training so that i can have a high-paying one now.

zhiying

HSC
I used to work at KFC in Burwood, there were occassions when its not too busy and manager tells me to start like 5-10mins later, I just sat down for a while and played with my phone or something. It's not that big of a deal is it :S

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I used to work at KFC in Burwood, there were occassions when its not too busy and manager tells me to start like 5-10mins later, I just sat down for a while and played with my phone or something. It's not that big of a deal is it :S
*shrug* depends on you i guess.

Personally, if i take the time out of my day to show up to work at the time designated on the roster, i expect to be paid for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)