Good weekly salary for a uni student (1 Viewer)

Meshy590

HSC
So I currently have two jobs which are quite flexible, in that I can choose the number of hours I want to work each week. How much money should I be earning on a weekly basis?

Thanks

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
It's really up to you. Studies have shown that more than 15 hours per week will negatively impact your uni marks (based on having 12-15 contact hours). If you have a timetable with 20+ contact hours, you'll probably want to be working less than 10 hours a week.

But then it also depends on what your expenses are (rent, food, phone bill, transport, etc?) as to how much you need to earn and whether you want to start saving.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
lol you study economics

work as long as you want

Alexis Texas

HSC
N/A
why do people ask this kind of stuff life isn't an equation just do whatever suits you

this is srsly so aspie i am rustled

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
As others have said, this question involves so many variable such as how many contact hours you have (and thus, how many days of uni you have), how many hours you are willing to work etc.

For me, I work on Saturdays from 9AM-4PM and earn around $115 - equating to around $16.40/hr. By the way, this is my first job (started a couple of weeks ago) and had no prior experience.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
Just keep chopping and changing till you get the best possible rate. If you're fresh out of school, you'l find it hard to earn $20/hr whereas if you're 3rd year or 4th year uni, it's quite common.

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
Just keep chopping and changing till you get the best possible rate. If you're fresh out of school, you'l find it hard to earn $20/hr whereas if you're 3rd year or 4th year uni, it's quite common.
beg to differ. if you know where to look $20 per hour is easy to get fresh outta school

michaeljennings

HSC
beg to differ. if you know where to look $20 per hour is easy to get fresh outta school
+1

I got into tutoring fresh outta high school, working at different rates for different students but I was getting $510 per week for 16 hours of work which is around $30 per hour

N

Nextguy

Hey everyone.

I just got a contract @ work for all day saturday and sunday. Do you reckon this is to much? My uni contact hours are 12-13 hours every semester.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey everyone.

I just got a contract @ work for all day saturday and sunday. Do you reckon this is to much? My uni contact hours are 12-13 hours every semester.
12-13 contact hours is like, 2-3 days. Working 2 full days is fine, in that case.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey everyone.

Your contact hours are definitely on the low-end of the scale.

You could probably get away working four days per week.

N

Nextguy

If you're a hard worker, yes but I'd recommend a maximum of 3 working days.
That is what I thought

Your contact hours are definitely on the low-end of the scale.

You could probably get away working four days per week.
If I did work four days, my parents would kill me.

Show me - tutoring does NOT count.
So true. My job is part time. I am 18 and get paid $14/hr. At least I get sick/annual and all that leave

12-13 contact hours is like, 2-3 days. Working 2 full days is fine, in that case.
Cool, pretty geed. Because I only intend to work those days, despite being in retail.

squishyau

HSC
Re: some other thread: tutoring is a job ==
I doubt most people tutoring make over $500 p/w due to the amount of hours they work. Easy money but no real value in terms of work experience.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I doubt most people tutoring make over $500 p/w due to the amount of hours they work. Easy money but no real value in terms of work experience.
I reckon it's possible if you do group tuition.

Group of 4 for 2 hours at 25/hr is $200 per session.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)