How many hours of work per week is manageable during uni semester? (1 Viewer)

annie_m

HSC
I am studying b science/ M nutrition and dietetics at usyd first year, (I transfered so this isn't my first year of uni)
and have received credit for bio and psyc so I'm only doing chem1001, math1111 and math1015 this sem (2.5 units)
Do you think I'll be able to manage 13 hours a week of work and still get above a credit average (in the format of 3 shifts)?
(I'm still living at home which makes things easier, but I have other things aside from work uni that take up my time also).

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
How many days of uni and how many contact hours?

Generally, for 5 days per week (which I expect from BSc), you can have maybe 10 hours of work.

funstudy

HSC
What about for 4 days of uni, 13 contact hours? What's manageable?

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
It all depends on the person. A study I read said about 10 hours a week was the ideal to not negatively impact your work. But that study didn't specify how many contact hours the people in the study had.

I personally manage 15 contact hours (over 2.5 days at uni) with 15 hours of work (over 2 days) and 6-10 hours of volunteering a week (after work/uni). I still get the two days of the weekend completely to myself.

If you break it down, a full-time work week is about 40 hours. Now, if you're doing a science degree, they say you should be spending about 2 hours outside of class studying for every contact hour. If you're doing 20 hours of labs a week, that would be about 40 hours of extra study. That's 60 hours of work right there, so you might only be able to manage 5-10 hours of employment.

If you're doing an arts degree, they say you should be spending 2-3 hours reading, for every contact hour. If you have 10 contact hours, that's approx 20-30 hours reading/research. Compared to a science degree, you'll have more time left over to work for paid employment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)