IT in the Defence Force. (1 Viewer)

BigBadBader

HSC
i am interested in IT and networking, now im beginning to look at job prospects and Defnce seems to be the only way to go for a decent paying and a stable career path

60-70k starting out for uni. benefits of less tax (government work), always need people.
the DSD seems fun.

anyone have any tips?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I'm planning to get into language based intelligence in the airforce once i finish uni this year... IMO you just have to be really sure that it's what you want to do, you'll have hell of a time if you join with simply the money in mind.

Kittikhun

HSC
Also, probs best not to join as a officer as you don't learn many skills that could apply to the civilian world except for management. Enlisting in the army is the best way for learning new skills and getting your hands dirty, and if you fancy then being an officer after a few years in the 'other ranks' then go for being an officer.

a c

HSC
What makes you think you'll pay less tax?

Unlikely you'll get 60-70k starting out, maybe after a few years training. IDK what job you're applying for though, maybe there is one paying that much.

a c

HSC
Oh right, that's not a job in the defence force.

I have never heard that public service jobs pay less tax, which taxes do they pay less of?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
The public service doesn't pay less tax.

If you are interested in money, forget about IT in the public service, it cannot compete on wages with the private sector.

If its interest and job flexibility you want then it might be an option.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Go for Signals, Technical or Intelligence Analyst in the DSD.

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
60-70k as a starting salary for a grad in IT isn't bad at all. I'd imagine that the locations for defence jobs can be not that sexy though (e.g. lots of positions in smaller cities, and the middle of nowhere).
Another good option for stability and a good career path would be grad positions with big multi national companies, especially the rotation programs where you're employed on a minimum 1-3 year contract, and you get to rotate through different departments/positions and get a taste of everything, then decide what you want to do. Then you can work in the company in a position you like, then advance up.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
The public service doesn't pay less tax.

If you are interested in money, forget about IT in the public service, it cannot compete on wages with the private sector.

If its interest and job flexibility you want then it might be an option.
If you ever get a security clearance with an IT job, you can bet your ass you'll get paid a lot higher when you work private.

One thing about defence IT systems is that they're all relatively the same software, so it's much much easier to deal with than private sector where everyone has different equipment.

Moll: Yeah working as an intel analyst =/= IT. It's a completely different skill set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)