im 20 years old with 0 work experience. I WANT TO WORK BUT I CANT......(pls help) (1 Viewer)

sghguos

HSC
N/A
Ok so Im 20 years old with 0 work experience.

The thing is I really want to work in any place other than fast food..
Its so embarassing for me..

Do you think Id have a chance at office works? Big W? Woolworths? Coles Kmart? with 0 work experience??

enoilgam

HSC
Apply and see what happens - you will probably get quite a few rejections, but that's the job market and you just have to keep trying.

Tasteless

HSC
I was the same (21 actually), apply to those places and keep updating every ~6 months (for woollies and coles, earlier if you have things to add to your resume), apply to anything that you're suitable and eligible for on seek.com (probably wont be much but at least you're applying, also check the newspaper positions vacant section for ANYTHING that you might wanna do.

Key is to do this consistently, it's tempting to give up after few weeks but in the long run it's only going to harm yourself.

Also idk how you'd do this but you need to convince prospective employers that you're a genuine applicant, a LOT of people just get the details / attend an interview to tell centrelink they've been looking for work, and you need to set yourself apart from those kind of time wasters employers try to avoid.

sghguos

HSC
N/A
Will it be even harder for me to work if I say I only want to work once a week?

Tasteless

HSC
quite possibly, id say probably - depends where you're wanting to work though really (technically that's why i lost mine today as im 'only' available 5 days a week)

i think most places would want a minimum of twice a week though, generally

sghguos

HSC
N/A
quite possibly, id say probably - depends where you're wanting to work though really (technically that's why i lost mine today as im 'only' available 5 days a week)

i think most places would want a minimum of twice a week though, generally
man.... im a uni student... I just want to work for the experience...

Tasteless

HSC
yup that's how i was too, one day a week is probs possible, just harder to come by

that said you've got weekends too (depending on the intensity of your uni program)

Frostbitten

HSC
Yes definitely. Availability would be within the top 2 things employers look for in these industries.

tattoo2200

HSC
N/A
update your skills to show employers you are dedicated. Do extracirriculars e.g. rugby or hockey out side of school in conjunction with excelling academically at uni. Also frequency volunteering would also demonstrate that you are willing to contribute back to society and can give your time for free and are dedicated

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)